Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar

Diablo 3 on the PS3 and PS4

Just wanted to say that I totally called it when I first read about the control scheme for this game (which, for the record, I haven't played, because I don't have constant internet access). I thought, "Wow, the limited and highly specified slots sounds an awful lot like Dungeon Siege III's system, which was obviously designed with a controller in mind. I'll be very surprised if this doesn't come to consoles." Of course, the fact that Blizzard was teasing a console version for years also helped. :)

So now the real question: will the game have offline play? I'm going to say 'yes,' because every other competitor in the genre for that platform offers the feature. If it does, I am 100% willing to give the game a try because I try to be open-minded, but man, Blizzard will look like gargantuan assholes over this and I will enjoy every last second.

However, Sony so clearly wants the PS4 to have a big online, multimedia presence. Could they still be trying to beat Microsoft by offering free online services? Are they going to do so by bringing in third party systems that can set everything up without being hindered by their own inexperience, offer free and fast updates, and not really cost them anything? It's not a terrible idea, actually. PCs have largely free multiplayer for the very same reason; if they can make the next XBOX the odd man out on this front, they might actually have a *gasp* advantage!

Ah well. I'm just speculating. It's fun to logically think these things through and then see if the companies are as brilliant as you or amazingly stupid.

Thoughts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    - It won't have offline play
    - It will have a VITA version as Sony's trying to turn that thing into a new PocketStation
    - BNet will be available and will have the same functionality as on PC
    - The new PS will have free online play but PS+, all the Gaikai-powered features and most social stuff will be paid. Netflix and apps like that will be free to access, unlike on Xbox
    - The control scheme has nothing to do with the controller buttons because you can have a shitload of combinations just by holding the the triggers and bumpers, as Sacred 2 proves
    - Dungeon Siege 3's combat was clever and I want more games like that

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I was about to write a post about how superior I felt because I hadn't bought Diablo 3, but then I realized that there was no actual information in that post.

So I wrote this post instead.

I do find it funny, however, that Sony failed to mention either the release date or the cost of a PS4. They had lackluster sales when they first released the PS3 because of how ridonkulously overpriced it was. Being that they're clearly attempting to corner the high-end market again, just as they tried before, I will laugh and laugh when they make the same mistake twice.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Sony failed to mention either the release date or the cost of a PS4.
    Holiday 2013, $400. The sooner in the presentation, the latter rumors.

Fun fact: Diablo 1 was on the PSX. IIRC wasn't even half bad, especially with co-oping with friends.

Anyhow, will be exciting to see. I've always thought that ARPGs would play quite greatly with controllers, never been too much of a fan of the 1-to-0 keyboard shortcuts. But eh, time will tell how this turns out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    the latter rumors.
    So basically you agreed with me, because c'mon.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I wonder if Sony will take a cut from the RMAH.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    We don't really know anything about the console other than what the controller looks like, do we?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    And the system specs and other handy details.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I was feeling a little masochistic earlier and decided to go to the Subreddit for Diablo. Anyhow, I came upon this video, which is a recording from an interview just after the conference. Video started for sufficient lead up. Slip of the tongue? Possibly...or more likely accurate.

My guess? Offline for co-op play, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...