Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 141
  1. #101
    Network Hub alset85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    404
    The only reason they removed always on for consoles is they couldn't get away with it. Internet connections on the toys aren't as ubiquitous as on pc and they won't be for the next gen either. They probably won't do anything for us pc users other than sell us 60$ expansions for the dreck their newer games are.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

  2. #102
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    So now we are at the ad hominem phase of this discussion? AH well, was interesting while it lasted.
    That does not mean what you think it does.

    And, please, let's not pretend that online only had any valid purpose other than DRM in the way it was implemented.

  3. #103
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    They aren't listening to their fans. If they had they would never have added the DRM.
    The only reason they're removing it now is that consoles don't have the infrastructure.

    They also won't be removing it from the PC version for the simple reason that it would basically mean rebuilding it from scratch.

    For someone so ferverently defending *their* rights you seem to be against *MY* rights as a (potential) consumer to complain.

    Again. You are defending always online DRM in a singleplayer game and micro transactions in a full price game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Batolemaeus View Post
    And, please, let's not pretend that online only had any valid purpose other than DRM in the way it was implemented.
    Oh it had a purpose, wringing even more money out of their most loyal fans who will pay real money after you deliberately break the game to force them to.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 23-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

  4. #104
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    They aren't listening to their fans. If they had they would never have added the DRM.
    The only reason they're removing it now is that consoles don't have the infrastructure.

    They also won't be removing it from the PC version for the simple reason that it would basically mean rebuilding it from scratch.

    For someone so ferverently defending *their* rights you seem to be against *MY* rights as a (potential) consumer to complain.

    Again. You are defending always online DRM in a singleplayer game and micro transactions in a full price game.


    Oh it had a purpose, wringing even more money out of their most loyal fans who will pay real money after you deliberately break the game to force them to.
    Except that MMOs and primarily multiplayer games DO exist. Especially on the PS3 (and it is to be assumped PS4).

    As for if they will or won't be removing it from the PC: How about waiting and seeing what they do? We don't know ANYTHING yet but everyone is instantly ready to assume the worst. And when they see something that isn't the worst, they pretend it still is. Somehow.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  5. #105
    Lesser Hivemind Node Shooop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Because all this is doing is showing that game companies are better off NOT listening to their fans and saying "Fuck you guys" because even when they DO listen, the fans will still say they are evil and horrid and should die.
    Oh come on, you know that's not at all what this is.

    People are angry for a decent reason - they weren't denied a feature from the previous incarnation of the game, they were given a game that was hard-coded to not work. It's not "Hey they got a better port than us!" It's "Hey they're getting the game we were supposed to have gotten to begin with!"
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

  6. #106
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Oh come on, you know that's not at all what this is.

    People are angry for a decent reason - they weren't denied a feature from the previous incarnation of the game, they were given a game that was hard-coded to not work. It's not "Hey they got a better port than us!" It's "Hey they're getting the game we were supposed to have gotten to begin with!"
    Then complain about that, but don't act high and mighty and say "Blizzard need to learn their lesson". Evidently they DID learn their lesson and maybe it really IS a matter of it being too difficult to code a "fix" in.

    This reaction pisses me off because it appears to be a case of a developer/publisher (and Activision/Blizzard at that!) actually listening to feedback and trying to "change their ways" and the reaction is "Fuck you guys, you are fucking assholes and we want you dead!"

    And again, "hard-coded to not work" is crap. It WORKS for just about everyone playing it and, regardless of the critical reception, the game seems to have a lot of players.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  7. #107
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,062
    Blizzard didn't learn shit. They sold millions of copies and, as far as I know, Diablo 3 has yet to be pirated. From Blizzard's perspective, always-on was a resounding fucking success. This is a non-issue with consoles because if Sony catches you playing a pirated game, they'll simply lock you out of your expensive plastic box. The fact that Nalano said this >40 posts ago and you have still yet to forward a new argument, despite half of the interim posts being yours, has me seriously questioning your critical faculties. I hope that some brick of calcified tissue in your brain has prevented you from processing valid viewpoints from people you personally hold ire for, and not that you uniformly rationalize all contradictory opinions as personal attacks (in which case this post won't make it through either).

  8. #108
    Lesser Hivemind Node Shooop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    912
    They're not learning though - if they had learned, they'd have announced they were getting rid of the always-online DRM for PC as well as not crippling the PS4 release with it too. That's not progress or learning anything.

    People aren't angry because they're not giving other players exclusive things, but because it's a not crippled by something that shouldn't have been in the original in the first place. Yes some people are being immature about how they're expressing that sentiment, but the sentiment itself is not irrational.

    And does it work for everyone playing it? Have you gotten in touch with just about everyone who is playing it? This is a Catch-22 argument. The only time you could even be playing the game is if it's not having any problems.
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

  9. #109
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    They're not learning though - if they had learned, they'd have announced they were getting rid of the always-online DRM for PC as well as not crippling the PS4 release with it too. That's not progress or learning anything.
    Again, I cite CD Projekt Red (Those loveable scamps) and how they actually said something along the lines of "These cutscenes are only for the xbox version right now" or whatever when they had their press conference.

    Don't assume it won't be backported until they actually SAY so. Maybe it won't be, but jumping to conclusions and being full of hate doesn't realy do anything other than add more negativity to the mess.

    People aren't angry because they're not giving other players exclusive things, but because it's a not crippled by something that shouldn't have been in the original in the first place. Yes some people are being immature about how they're expressing that sentiment, but the sentiment itself is not irrational.
    Again, "crippled" is a really strong word AND a load of crap since the game seems to work perfeclty well for all the people playing it and the server load, last I checked, still seems healthy

    This is the same garbage that gets pulled out when people argue "Nobody can play game X because not everyone has an internet connection" and Game X still sells well and is popular. Hell, Steam alone is a perfect example of why requiring an internet connection isn't a problem: Steam essentially does as well and a few people use it :p

    And does it work for everyone playing it? Have you gotten in touch with just about everyone who is playing it? This is a Catch-22 argument. The only time you could even be playing the game is if it's not having any problems.
    Fact of the matter is, they are playing the game. Ergo, the game is playable. If you want to argue that they are all suffering from horrid lag, at least find a few articles. And even then: Apparently the lag isn't enough to stop them from playing. I know I used to play Unreal Tournament with lag so bad I had to lead my minigun...

    But, we digress. This isn't about if the always-on-DRM/"forced community" was reasonable. This was about a bunch of entitled gamers screaming how Blizzard "hasn't learned anything" when available signs point to them having HAD learned something. Maybe the lesson didn't get across perfectly well, but it is progress.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  10. #110
    Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    So now we are at the ad hominem phase of this discussion? AH well, was interesting while it lasted.
    it would behoove you to familiarize yourself with the common logical fallacies. not only so you could stop perpetrating them, but so that you could properly recognize them when other people resort to them.

    as such, my comment was in no way ad hominem. it deals solely with the weak nature of your argument(s) as you've displayed throughout your time on these forums. i have no issue with you personally, merely with the intellectual dishonesty in your arguments (which completely precludes any rational discussion).

  11. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    So now we are at the ad hominem phase of this discussion? AH well, was interesting while it lasted.
    Err... He was attacking your argument, not you. Try to get pity points more, son.

  12. #112
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  13. #113
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    I will never understand why Scarlett got that nose job.

    But yeah, Gandato I don't even know who you're arguing with at this point.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 24-02-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

  14. #114
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    I will never understand why Scarlett got that nose job.

    But yeah, Gandato I don't even know who you're arguing with at this point.
    I think one big issue is that everyone was arguing about different stuff.

    I was basically annoyed that people were bashing Blizzard for actually showing signs of "doing the right thing"
    Everyone else was annoyed that I wasn't setting BLizzard on fire for some perceived slight :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  15. #115
    That's not true and you know it.

  16. #116
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    This was about a bunch of entitled gamers screaming how Blizzard "hasn't learned anything" when available signs point to them having HAD learned something. Maybe the lesson didn't get across perfectly well, but it is progress.
    Frankly, we don't have enough information to say whether Blizzard learned anything or not. I don't have always-on internet. Starcraft II locks me out of versus-AI after some amount of time offline (I don't know how long; I don't want to play SC2 all the time, but I occasionally get an itch only to go into the game and discover that none of the maps are loadable). Diablo III comes out and I cannot play it because I don't have the connection for it. It certainly seems that, for whatever reason you choose to believe, Blizzard have decided to discount people like me as customers. They do not want our money and will not make any effort to get it, nor will they allow us to fully utilize the games they make if we do not play them the way they want.

    Now, Blizzard may--and we do not know for sure--offer their most recent title without the restrictive feature for consoles. If they do, it will not indicate that they have learned anything, since, as has already been pointed out, there are several possibilities as to why they would do this for consoles and not PCs. We--and by "we" I mean "PC gamers"--will not know whether Blizzard has learned anything until they restore full offline support to their existing games or make significant changes in future releases.

  17. #117
    Lesser Hivemind Node Shooop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    That's not true and you know it.
    At this point I'm not sure he does actually.
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

  18. #118
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,290
    It's really simple:
    they made it always online on PC as a form of DRM. For consoles they are removing the always-online requirement because console is the DRM.
    pass

  19. #119
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,250
    Ha. If this is true then it's somewhat an argument for strong platform holders. Not to be smug, but platform holders exist to enforce the demands of consumers, as best as they can tell. Often this is against the flow of progress but it's what they do.

    Sony's concern will be here that their consumers expect a single player game they buy to work on their PS3 no matter what. Only 50% or so of PS3 owners are online and the majority still buy their games in bricks and mortar. So sony tend to be more conservative than PC for allowing developers to enforce an online connection, as when it comes down to it people blame Sony for poor advertising of online connections not the publishers. So console platform owners take that responsibility.

    Nobody on PC does that, which is a good and a bad thing. It means Origin or Steam can either waive responsibility or enforce crap that consumers hate. Consoles are more conservative but are far more consistent in defending their consumers.

    This is a total generalisation and I think Microsoft are far more arsey, for instance they have a rule against cross-platform play but Sony don't. Though sony have requirements to make sure all games have trophies/achievements which many PC gamers find annoying.

    Anyway I presume, but don't know, that PlayStation told Blizzard that online all the time in a single player game just wasn't an option on their platform, and I sometimes wish that groups like Valve would sometimes be that aggressive.

  20. #120
    Network Hub Dubbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    399
    There was also the (very weak) claim that they didn't want offline characters to be available online because of the potential for cheating and therefore, to avoid players getting confused, all characters were online:

    “We thought about this quite a bit,” says executive producer Rob Pardo. “One of the things that we felt was really import was that if you did play offline, if we allowed for that experience, you’d start a character, you’d get him all the way to level 20 or level 30 or level 40 or what have you, and then at that point you might decide to want to venture onto Battle.net. But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online.”
    So are PS3/4 players cleverer than PC gamers? Or was this the bullshit that everyone suspected it was anyway?
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •