Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    It's really simple:
    they made it always online on PC as a form of DRM. For consoles they are removing the always-online requirement because console is the DRM.
    What will be interesting is if it in fact does have an always-online requirement on the consoles (and what's been announced so far really isn't definitive) as I assume that same argument will conclusively prove that DRM wasn't a major motivator in making it an online game?

It's really simple:
    they made it always online on PC as a form of DRM. For consoles they are removing the always-online requirement because console is the DRM.
    are you saying that there's no piracy on consoles or are you saying activision believes that there's no piracy on consoles?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    are you saying that there's no piracy on consoles or are you saying activision believes that there's no piracy on consoles?
    I suppose the latter.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    or a third option: they dont see piracy rates in ps3 relevant enough to bother with another drm

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    or a third option: they dont see piracy rates in ps3 relevant enough to bother with another drm
    Also Sony won't let them, actually almost entirely that Sony won't let them.

Given that Sony owns the multiplayer servers for console games I'd say it's the fact that Blizzard can't use the servers. Likewise they won't be able to use the auction system.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    Given that Sony owns the multiplayer servers for console games I'd say it's the fact that Blizzard can't use the servers. Likewise they won't be able to use the auction system.
    No Sony don't own the multiplayer servers.

Obscure Node
    It seems pretty obvious that game ported to consoles something like year after PC release would have some improvements. Every time there is a console port coming to PC and it's just a simple port there is this fuss: "they don't care, we won't buy crappy ports", "they are pissing on PC and gamers", " greedy bastards" etc.

The "always online" thing looks pretty resonable to me on PCs. There's real money involved in auction house so cheaters had to be taken out and it's also a good DRM system, they sold over 10 mln copies, didn't they?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    regrogues, Diablo 3 was defective by design. It's not an improvement, they are simply removing crap they put there before. Or at least adding an option to disable crap.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by regrogues View Post
    The "always online" thing looks pretty resonable to me on PCs. There's real money involved in auction house so cheaters had to be taken out and it's also a good DRM system, they sold over 10 mln copies, didn't they?
    Is Blizzard paying you for this tongue-bath?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I would love to see EA and ActiBlizzard`s PR suicide squads pitted against one another. It doesn`t really take a rocket scientist (or a brain surgeon... a rocket surgeon?) to realise the stupidity of this. Hurray for screwing over customers in favour of consoles!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Is Blizzard paying you for this tongue-bath?
    Except those two or three weeks after release there was almost no problems with playing game so I don't understand what is this hate all about. Nowadays probably everybody is connected to internet so making always online requirement such a big deal is little silly. Yes, auction house is worst idea ever and it ruined the game but that is not what I'm talking about.

And I won't believe that game would sell so well if not for unbreakable DRM so yes, point goes here to Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    I would love to see EA and ActiBlizzard`s PR suicide squads pitted against one another. It doesn`t really take a rocket scientist (or a brain surgeon... a rocket surgeon?) to realise the stupidity of this. Hurray for screwing over customers in favour of consoles!
    That comes out little fanboyish. Like I said in my previous post: why improving game for consoles is screwing customers while at the same time not improving game for PCs is also screwing customers? Where's logic in that? I said my friend (which whom I played a lot Champions of Norrath on PS2) somewhere around release date that Diablo 3 would be perfect suit for consoles. And now I can't wait to play it when it comes to PS3 with him and two other guys in front of my TV with bowl of chips and beer on the table. We will spend probably dozens of hours playing that and enjoying hell out of it. Controling character with a thumbstick and added evades? Awesome. Day one purchase.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Except those two or three weeks after release there was almost no problems with playing game so I don't understand what is this hate all about.
    Have you forget? I remember all the jokes about the different errors and problems. I personally had to play something else for a while a few times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    regrogues, Diablo 3 was defective by design.
    Then a lot of games were defective by design.

I'd argue Diablo 3's DRM was strictly better than any other DRM, on the basis that it actually worked. Something like Starforce is strictly worse on the basis that it annoys the consumer for zero benefit whatsoever (as the game still gets pirated). At least Blizzard's DRM annoys the consumer and achieves something.

From a purely rational, game theory perspective, Blizzard's DRM is the best we've ever had...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Whaaaaaaa. I like Blizzard games, played D2 only with B.Net characters, buttt yahhh... I never have touched and doubt will use the RMAH (maybe to sell if I get back into D3), but the always on would be in the game regardless if RMAH was in the game or not.

Well I feel a bit cheated

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    From a purely rational, game theory perspective, Blizzard's DRM is the best we've ever had...
    The magic word here is "theory".
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Except those two or three weeks after release there was almost no problems with playing game so I don't understand what is this hate all about. Nowadays probably everybody is connected to internet so making always online requirement such a big deal is little silly. Yes, auction house is worst idea ever and it ruined the game but that is not what I'm talking about.
    1) THe game was unplayable when it was released until two or three weeks after that. That is when the majority of people interested in the Diablo franchise bought the game! That's when most of them tried to play the game! If I spend the premium for the privilage of playing the game on launch day, I do actually bloody want to play the game on launch day!

2) A lot of people are connected to the internet, yes. This says nothing about the quality of their connection. My country has the highest amount of broadband connections per capita in the world (And probably the best internet infrastructure as well), and I have been getting connection drops for weeks lately due to issues with cabling. It sucks that I then would not be able to play a singleplayer game. And that is me, living in Amsterdam. Imagine living somewhere that is not along the coastline, where there is only one broadband provider, and that broadband provider knows it does not need to put any effort in keeping your connection running, as they've got the only one. It is more common then you think.

Blizzard is already attempting some damage control, but overall things are still murky and there really haven't been any official announcements, so I'm withholding judgment.

Network Hub
    Error #37

You have lost contact with the thread and/or reality.