Results 1 to 8 of 8
25-02-2013, 12:04 PM #1
Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making
Hey guys, I suppose this the right place for a bit of shameless advertising.
We’re Purple Orange Games, and we are currently developing StarLife, an independent sci-fi 4X game. We already have a tech demo showing rudimentary combat and currently are preparing for a Kickstarter that will air late March-early April.
Though the space strategy genre never really died out, newer releases have not even come close to the venerable ancestor, Master of Orion, they lacked that special something that made it one of the best games of all time.
Our goal, of course, is to rectify this situation.
Our core design philosophy includes:
- Varied races with unique gameplay - +10% growth? Research halved? A bonus to combat efficiency? Meh. These are not game-altering changes. We strive to make species really different. Each one is going to have a trait, ability, or gimmick that forces the player to readjust to a new strategy.
- Complexity as a means to an end – most of today’s games are catered to the casual gamer, and thus stripped of many features and lacking depth. On the other hand, we feel that stockpiling gimmicks and mechanics that have no real influence on the game’s flow and only make playing more of a chore is a dead end. Complexity is a must, but it has to serve the player, not the other way around.
- Technology more than just a linear progression – again, latest 4X games struggled a lot with coming up with a sensible tech system. Separate trees that you select and research one by one are not interesting the slightest. In Starlife, we are trying to put some meat on these bones.
- Quick, but tactically satisfying combat – battles are one of my favourite parts of strategy games. Unfortunately, most of the time they are considered of secondary importance and are either simplified or tend to drag. Starlife will feature hex-based combat system rooted in board games that is quick to resolve and offers a tactical challenge.
- No unnecessary micromanagement – Micro is always a bane of 4X in longer, bigger games. Our plan is cutting down on it without limiting players’ choices.
- Your subjects are living creatures (unless they’re robots) – Have you ever felt that those billions of subordinates on your colonies are mindless drones that need constant babysitting? Well, we have. That’s why in Starlife citizens actually have will of their own. They are quite helpful, but, if mistreated, can make your rule a pain.
Most of areas of the game are still being designed, so don't hesitate to suggest and post any ideas, either here or at our forums
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE
25-02-2013, 02:05 PM #2
28-02-2013, 11:33 PM #3
I like it :D I love 4x games... and I like your hud. It's a sort of Star Trek meets Halo... very nice color combinations too.
The pixelly font on the planet is awful, is like Redensenk or something? whatever it is it's just out of place
01-03-2013, 01:50 AM #4
- Join Date
- Feb 2013
- Mississippi, USA
It looks like the font from FTL. I'd imagine it's just placeholder if it's the same.
Look's great, BTW!
02-03-2013, 04:53 AM #5
- Join Date
- Mar 2013
The screen got smaller so the letters are distorted, take a look at a 1:1 screenshot:
We are using this one, which is free, is this the same as FTL?
20-03-2013, 04:23 PM #6
26-03-2013, 03:27 PM #7
06-04-2013, 02:50 PM #8