Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Do i need to play bioshock 1 to understand story of second one ?

There are some metanarrative parallels, but in general, no. The two main stories are completely independent.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I would though. I just finished it today.

I'll link to a picture which I found helped me process the major details of the story. Here. Enjoyed the game overall, so odd for an FPS to feel so detailed, now I want to play Bioshock 1.
    steam: sketch

Banned
    "BioShock Infinite is the Lost of videogames. By presenting a completely vacant, hole-filled, self-contradictory, rule-less story which doesn't make any sense under the slightest examination, yet every error can also be explained away using "quantum!" and other such things, Irrational Games have effectively built a game whose story cannot be understood - and therefore is doomed to eternal discussion. This is not because it is clever, or especially interesting, or even good - it's simply because every attempt to analyze it results in more questions.

When we say it is going to "change the videogames industry forever" I desperately hope that what will change is the reliance on faux-intellectualism and paper-thin portrayals of serious social and political issues without actual discussion, exceptionally boring and generic gameplay, stories which are 95% pointless filler which attempt to then fish out some semblance of depth and meaning in their remaining 5%, and game setting and world design which has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the play mechanics."-Eric Schwarz(my new hero for this post)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    The Bioshock series is a brilliant museum of historically inspired concepts and art allied to a decent enough FPS mechanic which basically has fuck all to do with the former. Fortunately that museum is so interesting and different from pretty much anything else that the FPS stuff is worth paying as the price for entry. The chance to participate in Sander Cohen's performances is worth that price alone.

I would dearly love to actually play the game of Rapture or Infinite though rather than" violent sociopath murders hundreds in entirely unrelated but glorious context ".

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    BioShock Infinite is the Lost of videogames.
    That's the most succinct description of Infinite. It's a shame it's also the most accurate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I don't know Lost kept going on and on, providing more questions without ever really answering them in any way. I don't think Infinite does that at all, and I can't really think of any that isn't resolved by the end.
    steam: sketch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    I don't know Lost kept going on and on, providing more questions without ever really answering them in any way. I don't think Infinite does that at all, and I can't really think of any that isn't resolved by the end.
    The problem is that it's resolved by bullshit.

Network Hub
    I didn't really have illusions that Bioshock would change how we looked at stories in games. In my eyes it wasn't really that different from Half-Life in that it was a beautifully crafted world with interesting characters mixed with storytelling that was effective in its delivery, and that was that (though Bioshock Infinite had the decency of actually having an ending where Half-Life has left us hanging for coming on six years, the time it took to make Half-Life 2, with nary a peep from the writers). I'd say it's more Stiegg Larsen than "In Search of Lost Time" or "The Seagull." For the latter two, I think we should be looking to devs like Ice-Pick Lodge and games like Torment: Tides of Numenera (maybe).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I agreed with the critics saying that Bioshock Infinite's core mechanic is utterly at odds with its story and world-building.

However, everyone seems to have gotten confused and think the core mechanic is shooting, when it's clearly rummaging in bins.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I agreed with the critics saying that Bioshock Infinite's core mechanic is utterly at odds with its story and world-building.

However, everyone seems to have gotten confused and think the core mechanic is shooting, when it's clearly rummaging in bins.
    The decisive element wasn't really rummaging in bins but rather rummaging in any container or corpse possible, while being under fire. The amount of time spent "combat-rummaging", especially during boss fights, was surprisingly substantial.

All I want to know is who is hiding bananas in almond boxes and who is throwing away perfectly good money and slices of cake?

I just finished it. I'm really impressed! It has amazing climate! I you're looking for some game with great gameplay and storyline - you have to try it!

For those who don't need fancy graphics and stuff... http://crypticsea.com/twined/bioshoot1.html#

'Shlooter' is an excellent genre tag that should be used more often.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Started a second run through to see what I missed. Maybe I mentioned this before, but did anyone notice that all the telescopes in the game don't actually magnify anything? They just add a vignette and blur to the screen. Tsk.