Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Raise your hand if you fucking hate the music that always plays when the Luteces appear.
    I recently started to hate obvious musical cues in games and movies. Pianos during sad moments, silly and playful music during comic scenes - I'm acutely aware of the music trying to make me feel a certain emotion and it takes me out of the movie/game. I may need psychological help.
    *keeps both hands down*

Nope, I loved it. It's very well done. First when you hear it in her tomb it's not because the game is telling you to be sad, it's Comstock telling his citizens "morn for my wife, the mother of the Lamb". The music is being playing in game, through those giant speakers. Later when you hear it away from her tomb, it's all warped and distorted, which to me is her ghostly essence carrying it with her.

Now I'm at the ghost part. Finally, a couple of fights that are not annoying - I can just shootbang my way through them in 30 seconds and carry on with the sightseeing. The ghost is the only surprising thing so far and it's also a cool creature. Of course Elizabeth does her best to ruin it by delivering shitty explanations ending in "I don't understand it either". Well how about you shut the fuck up then and let me come up with my own theories? They're way more interesting and creepy than anything you say.
    If you want a quick way to shootbang everything, put some levels into Shock, wait til they bunch up, shock and one (regular guys) to four (special guys) shotgun blasts will instakill
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

ULTRASPOILERS AHEAD, READ ONLY IF YOU HAVE BEATEN THE GAME:

I'm so MINDBLOWN right now. This is something so absolutely incredible I cannot even begin to start thinking about it.

As you can remember, Elizabeth ends up opening a tear to Rapture she uses to defeat the Songbird. Well... hear this, please (second 0:14 of the video):

You can also hear it here, this time on the second 52:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...4jP5Nuqk#t=50s

Yes, Bioshock Infinite is foreshadowed in a game from FIVE years before its release. If this ends up being real, and not just an elaborated hoax, I am inclined to say this is the most amazing gamble in the history of pop entertainment in the last, at least, ten years or so.

All Songbird scenes for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...;v=L8cg1fr9k5Q

Lesser Hivemind Node
    And it's in the moment where guy in bird mask play piano (song). O_O

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vartawelks View Post
    ULTRASPOILERS AHEAD, READ ONLY IF YOU HAVE BEATEN THE GAME:

I'm so MINDBLOWN right now. This is something so absolutely incredible I cannot even begin to start thinking about it.

As you can remember, Elizabeth ends up opening a tear to Rapture she uses to defeat the Songbird. Well... hear this, please (second 0:14 of the video):

You can also hear it here, this time on the second 52:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...4jP5Nuqk#t=50s

Yes, Bioshock Infinite is foreshadowed in a game from FIVE years before its release. If this ends up being real, and not just an elaborated hoax, I am inclined to say this is the most amazing gamble in the history of pop entertainment in the last, at least, ten years or so.

All Songbird scenes for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...;v=L8cg1fr9k5Q
    Want to explain how any of that is foreshadowing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Want to explain how any of that is foreshadowing?
    You can hear the Songbird's screeches very faintly in the background. Could simply be reused sound effects, though the sounds don't seem to have any reason to be there amongst the piano music. On the other hand, they also don't match up with the sound from the scene of the songbird's death. It could be either, I suppose.

Obscure Node
    I played it in 1999 Mode on my first play-through. No HuD markers, no glowing items, no Aim Assist. Live streamed it on my twitch channel. I cursed a lot, i died a lot, but it was at least not the crap hand holding version they call normal.

I loved every minute of it and it!

Yeah it sounds like songbird, but it also doesn't match up to this actual death scene, it's not really even close.

It's also something I have to play again to make sure it's actually there and it's not just someone craftily putting it in.

Since Songbird was originally meant to talk I dunno if it means much. It also could just be as LTK says reuse of sound, though it doesn't appear anywhere else in that game.

Finally, though kind of cool it's also not widely uncommon an idea that they knew the direction they wanted to bring the series in and they stuck it in as a "It'd be cool if we got another few games out of this and if we do this will look really great, but if we don't then nobody will be any the wiser"
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Sounds more like a whale to me.

It probably is. Sounds just like this

Though I can't remember there being much whale song in bioshock, I do remember seeing a whale or two near the start and it is a city underwater and all.

Steam ID

It doesn't sound like any sea mammal I've ever heard, but what do I know? Maybe it is just ambient ocean sound.

I just thought of something else totally *SPOILERIFIC*. Isn't it ironic how Comstock's prophecy is prevented from being fulfilled by the very device he used to foretell it? I wonder if he mixed up a number of realities for his prophecy. Presumably he saw that his, and Lady Comstock's, daughter used Columbia to lay waste to New York in the future, which would probably have happened if Lutece never gave him access to her contraption. Then he wouldn't have become sterile, nor would he have had the opportunity to kidnap Anna. Yet, he also predicted Booker's arrival, which means he saw into a post-kidnapping universe where Booker enters his reality to retrieve Elizabeth.

So when Comstock said "Columbia will only survive so long as my line sits the throne. Yet Lady Comstock produces no child," he obviously hadn't foreseen that he would be kidnapping an alternate reality version of his daughter. Strange. His propensity to refer to 'the archangel' even in his personal recordings suggests that all the future-seeing might have screwed up his memories so badly that he may truly believe that he knows these things because God told him. I mean, if perceiving two realities is enough to make the brain hemorrhage due to conflicting memories, who knows what it did to Comstock, who might have been witnessing events in dozens of realities?

Something annoys me about this game, and I've figured it out this evening.

The subtitle system sucks.

I suppose every single subtitle system that isn't Valve sucks, but I mean Christ on a cracker, you'd think the small amount of effort to properly dictate who is saying what, and transcribe the dialogue in the background while a foreground has the volume precedent wouldn't be difficult. Unless I'm missing a Closed Captioning/Hearing Impaired option in the menus, it seems exceedingly backwards that the disability accessibility of this game is low.
    I have no idea wht he allowed it, but penguins like the artic orcheanograby. Gare ams and losw as shwacricicaal. I haven't figured out the moral of this stay, are. y, Basefallwih ough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Don't you just love how the movies, which already have captions, are subtitled but the vox recordings are not?

I finished the game. The ending is a travesty, as is the whole section since you meet Fitzroy until the ghost appears.
    It's not as bad as the first BioShock, at least.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I finished the game. The ending is a travesty, as is the whole section since you meet Fitzroy until the ghost appears.
    It's not as bad as the first BioShock, at least.
    Subject to discussion. I think the ending is fantastic, just like the rest of the game.

Yeah what was it you disliked about the ending SirKicks? I thought it was pretty interesting and apart from obvious time travel related plot holes (which because it's time travel I ignore) it was a good end.

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    It doesn't sound like any sea mammal I've ever heard, but what do I know? Maybe it is just ambient ocean sound.
    The video I linked sounds just like it. I'm not trying to ruin any possible magic of it being an awesome thing to have put in, but it does sound like that whale song.

So when Comstock said "Columbia will only survive so long as my line sits the throne. Yet Lady Comstock produces no child," he obviously hadn't foreseen that he would be kidnapping an alternate reality version of his daughter. Strange. His propensity to refer to 'the archangel' even in his personal recordings suggests that all the future-seeing might have screwed up his memories so badly that he may truly believe that he knows these things because God told him. I mean, if perceiving two realities is enough to make the brain hemorrhage due to conflicting memories, who knows what it did to Comstock, who might have been witnessing events in dozens of realities?
    I think his line of "Columbia will only survive so long as my line sits the throne. Yet Lady Comstock produces no child," doesn't mean that he hadn't foreseen the kidnapping, but probably that he had foreseen that she wont have a child, unknown to him that it was his fault for becoming sterile. This is likely where he got the idea to kidnap the alternate version of his daughter from the un-baptised version of himself.

Comstock gave me the impression that he wasn't fully screwed in any more and yes that he believes it was God who told him. It's also unlikely that the man whose essentially leading a cult would ever document the real events.

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The video I linked sounds just like it. I'm not trying to ruin any possible magic of it being an awesome thing to have put in, but it does sound like that whale song.
    No, it's too high-pitched, clearly smaller than a whale. Possibly a dolphin, but that doesn't really match either.

I think his line of "Columbia will only survive so long as my line sits the throne. Yet Lady Comstock produces no child," doesn't mean that he hadn't foreseen the kidnapping, but probably that he had foreseen that she wont have a child, unknown to him that it was his fault for becoming sterile. This is likely where he got the idea to kidnap the alternate version of his daughter from the un-baptised version of himself.

Comstock gave me the impression that he wasn't fully screwed in any more and yes that he believes it was God who told him. It's also unlikely that the man whose essentially leading a cult would ever document the real events.
    He's speaking in the present tense about Lady Comstock, isn't he? That means it isn't something he has foreseen. This is the full recording:

The archangel tells me that Columbia will only survive so long as my line sits the throne. Yet Lady Comstock produces no child. I have done what a man can do, yet there is no child! I have asked Lutece about the matter, but even she refuses to help.
    Comstock isn't smart enough to have come up with the idea to kidnap his alternate reality daughter. He barely understood the concept of an alternate reality. I don't know why Rosalind Lutece decided to help him after all. Maybe Robert Lutece was the one who came up with the plan. Even so, it isn't like them to indulge in the delusions of a madman.

The whale in that video has a pretty high pitched song. It sounds very close to what's in the background. I myself thought whales only had low pitched songs until I saw that video.

I think he is talking about something he has seen. He has seen that she produces no child in the visions. He asks Lutece for help, perhaps to find a child in an alternate reality but she won't help him on the matter. I was thinking earlier it's possible that if Comstock never used the device then he wouldn't have gone sterile so maybe that's one of the constants that through his actions with the device, he has removed the chance to have a child, just like when Booker drowns he removes the choice to ever be Comstock.

Robert may have been the one to come up with the plan, because if I remember right in a vox recording he demands they give it back or he'll leave his sister. He seems quiet unhappy with it, more so than her, which leads me to believe he feels bad for what will come in the future because of helping Comstock get a child.

Steam ID

I've just beaten the game last night and apart from a few complaints* I have to say that it's a masterful game. In every conceivable way. The art direction and level design are superb, as is the whole story of this city and how it ties to our protagonist and the old Bioshock game. And even the combat is fantastic, probably the most exciting SP FPS gameplay I've played since the last Half-Life episode.

I even loved the ending, but I feel like I read it in a completely different way than everyone else. Anyway, I feel a need to replay the game once again just to connect the loose threads, and I'm actually very much looking forward to playing it again.

*Like the original Bioshock, Infinite forces your hand to do things that you (or at least I) would never do as a player. This is problematic because it instantly disconnects me from the character, even further than that some of the things Booker does seem completely out of his character.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    This is problematic because it instantly disconnects me from the character, even further than that some of the things Booker does seem completely out of his character.
    Like what? I do have my share of issues with the script, but I can't recall Booker acting out of character when the player doesn't get to make the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    Like what? I do have my share of issues with the script, but I can't recall Booker acting out of character when the player doesn't get to make the choice.
    The murder of Comstock comes to mind, it seemed very forced and completely unnecessary when I played it, and therefore extremely disconnecting. It does make sense in the grander scheme of things, considering the ending, but that's still a storytelling faux pas IMO.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.