Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I had fun with Bioshock but I thought the sequel was twice as good. I loved setting up for a battle before harvesting. Infinite looks nice, but I haven't seen much about experimenting with weapon combos or things like that which made Bioshock 2 so enjoyable for me. I haven't been following it closely, though.

Banned
    Can't say I cared that much for the original in truth and albeit this looks to be a step up from that, I'm kind of lukewarm on the whole thing (lots of shooting, occasional ingame cutscenes..). I might chip in early though as they're potentially giving away a free copy of X-Com if you do the Steam pre-order thing, but right now I'm not feeling the draw given the wall to wall gunplay. The whole American centric manifest destiny vibe just doesn't interest me all that much truth be told, in exactly the same way that the Ayn Rand stuff in Bioshock didn't really grab me either.

Network Hub
    Thanks to a fuckup by GMG, I bought the season pass today for $4.80 :D They fixed it almost as soon as I bought it >_>

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Bioshock's worst fault is that it failed to be a proper System Shock spiritual successor.
    This.

Bioshock has a crumbling undersea city, fire/ice/electric/etc superpowers, and not a single actual water puzzle. Never is the water a proper threat or obstacle or tool. Instead, the Bioshocks are just corridor shooters (with a LOT of downtime for looting), which is something the System Shocks smartly were not.

I mostly enjoyed them, but Bioshock is also very disappointing for having been so misnamed (Rapture would have been a better title). I expect Infinite will have similar faults.

Network Hub
    I'm playing system Shock 2 for the first time (thanks to GoG.com) and I really see where bioshock pulled so much stuff from it. Honestly though, there is plenty of looting/inventory sorting stuff in system shock, that is almost more pain then it feels it is worth.

Even though I am also one of those people who was not all too impressed with the original game I am still very excited about Bioshock Infinite. Don't plan to pre-order however.

I do hope that it does not repeat the many annoyances of the original, like the feel of the combat and the weapons, the lack of variety in setting (dark tight corridors can only take you so far, even with amazing art design) and the fact that you become way overpowered halfway through the game, robbing it of all the foreboding atmosphere and challenge.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Activated Node
    The only interesting thing Infinite has going for it is 1999 mode. Otherwise, it'll probably be the same old pales-in-comparison-to-SS2 Bioshoick. Plus, boxed copies seem to have terrible packaging and are steamworks, which is a big no-no for me.
    Last edited by Frostbite; 26-02-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Obscure Node
    I'll wait and see. Bioshock offered a nifty environment with okay gameplay but it wasn't a patch on System Shock 2. Additionally, there's nothing in the pre-order gimmick which I don't already own. Happy to cool my heels until the WITs and reviews are released before getting excited.

I have a feeling that a lot of people were 'disappointed' by Bioshock because it didn't live up to SS2. I never played SS2 so I couldn't compare it. I really enjoyed Bioshock because of the combat (all the different possibilities), the environment (rapture was gorgeous) and the story (would you kindly).

Plus, it's like 30£ for me!

Edit: Goodness, It's A LOT more expensive in other regions...

Last edited by asskicker; 26-02-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
    The only interesting thing Infinite has going for it is 1999 mode.
    Ooh I forgot about that.

Having just finished replaying System Shock 2, I think I'm gonna start the game with it enabled. I'm in the mood for extra punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by asskicker View Post
    Plus, it's like 30£ for me!

Edit: Goodness, It's A LOT more expensive in other regions...
    Welcome to the joy of paying with Euros. :(

I think I got it for 37 euro from GMG, and they've thrown in a few free games since.
    Last edited by airtekh; 26-02-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I just wanted to say I'm going to check out of this thread until 1 of 2 things happen.

1)Multiplayer has dedicated servers.
    2)£10 price.

There are games I must play ASAP, this is not one of them. People might go "what you liked Bioshock 2 multiplayer?" Yes, I did, I was a lot like natural selection, except with GFWL match making and peer to peer. So, yeah... If they dropped GWFL and added dedicated servers I'd love to jump about Columbia throwing crows at people but a linear campaign or scripted events? That can wait.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Welcome to the joy of paying with Euros. :(

I think I got it for 37 euro from GMG, and they've thrown in a few free games since.
    I know, I moved to the UK a couple of months and so I'm used to paying in Euro.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I just wanted to say I'm going to check out of this thread until 1 of 2 things happen.

1)Multiplayer has dedicated servers.
    2)£10 price.

There are games I must play ASAP, this is not one of them. People might go "what you liked Bioshock 2 multiplayer?" Yes, I did, I was a lot like natural selection, except with GFWL match making and peer to peer. So, yeah... If they dropped GWFL and added dedicated servers I'd love to jump about Columbia throwing crows at people but a linear campaign or scripted events? That can wait.
    It doesn't have Multiplayer, which is an amazing thing. Some games just don't need Multiplayer and Bioshock is one of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Excited over the premise, but the gameplay not so much. The Bioshock Universe and ideology is properly brilliant in terms of concept and aesthetics, just a shame the gameplay completely ignores it and treats it as a backdrop for mindless killing. The first hour and a half of the series is exquisite but then it become generic FPS thereafter. I love the ideology they are exploring in Infinite and the world they are creating but I'll hold off for a WIT to see if playing the think works in tandem with all of that.

It looks promising, but I don't see the point of paying more than 20$ on a game at the moment, when I have more games to play than time to play them. Also, by June/July/Steam summer sale there's a fair chance we could get it at 50-75% discount and I can wait.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asskicker View Post
    I know, I moved to the UK a couple of months and so I'm used to paying in Euro.

It doesn't have Multiplayer, which is an amazing thing. Some games just don't need Multiplayer and Bioshock is one of them.
    Eh, agree to disagree. I played a few dozen matches over a few days with a solid host and started to get into the skill system. It was beautifully engineered. It was peer to peer + melee that ruined it, that and gfwl kicking you out if matches because your "Internet connection isn't working properly".
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Between the hilariously dumb tuba-men enemies and now the "Season Pass" bit I haven't much interest left in this one. I like that they've mustered up the courage to tackle the themes of jingoism and racism, but it is supposed to be a linear story isn't it? Throwing in single-player DLC offshoots only cheapen that story. Like a movie being released in alternate cuts multiple times. This isn't Borderlands or Saint's Row where you could throw in anything anywhere and it'd fit.

And if it's for multiplayer, that's just a waste of time, money, and effort. They could have used the resources to come up with better character design.

And even though I haven't played System Shock 2 (yet), I have watched and read up on it and can't help but agree with the sentiments of this franchise not being the spiritual successor some said it was supposed to be. There's only one really great narrative twist, and the rest is just a standard FPS power trip.

It'll take something really surprising to get my attention again.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Banned
    I enjoyed SS2 at the time, however I must admit I'm kind of done with that style of game play overall. Dishonored pretty much exhausted my interest is the linear level first person experience (bring on the next gen games please). I guess with the match up with Elizabeth that adds a degree of dimension, though it does look incredibly scripted still. Tempted to jump on the Steam pre-order simply for the extra copy of XCOM though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Because people are interested in franchises, not games or even good products. Next: MacDonalds FPS.

The Bioshock setting is a hillariously bad fit for a competitive multiplayer game. I would prefer a a game about clowns duelling in a circus. Bioshock setting is tied to a particular area and molding it into a multiplayer arena is silly.

If you want a wacky first person game, do yourself a favor and wait for Zeno Clash 2.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 07-03-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Well who doesn't want a game about clowns dueling in a circus?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Well who doesn't want a game about clowns dueling in a circus?
    Unicycles AND squirty flowers? Add some spinning bow ties to this and we have a game! :D

EDIT: S key is too close to the D key for my half drunken state.. so Add, not Ass :P
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.