Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    This is something I'd play for the story (those pseudo documentaries really whet my appetite). If the mechanics aren't a complete slog, it would be a bonus.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadJax View Post
    Unicycles AND squirty flowers? Add some spinning bow ties to this and we have a game! :D

EDIT: S key is too close to the D key for my half drunken state.. so Add, not Ass :P
    Get it to Kickstarter before someone else does !
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Anyone else reading the spoilers?
    Prepare for a massive shitstorm next week (or earlier thanks to pirates and broken street dates).
    I mean, I thought I was being trolled at first, but then I saw screenshots and videos too.

Obscure Node
    Definately might be looking into preordering Bioshock Infinite now that I can get XCom Enemy Unknown with it... But otherwise it looks like a really interesting/fascinating game to watch the reviews for.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Anyone else reading the spoilers?
    Prepare for a massive shitstorm next week (or earlier thanks to pirates and broken street dates).
    I mean, I thought I was being trolled at first, but then I saw screenshots and videos too.
    Link or something?

Something inside of me thinks they are really, really going to nail it.

Edit:
    (As in getting it really right)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I loved Bioshock at the time. Replaying it isn't quite exciting me, just recently. I'm there for the atmosphere as a point of study for a pen-and-paper design I'm doing called The Flood. The look of the game hasn't aged as well as I'd like, but much more importantly I'm not finding it as punchy as I remember. Hopefully that's just the awe of the opening section wearing off and the game proper will still impress. I'm not looking forward to the ending. :\

That said, I'm hopeful for Infinite. I never played Bioshock 2 despite hearing it was better than 1 from a lot of people who's taste matches mine ... which might have been me subtly telling myself I don't find rapture as interesting as I did the cinematic quality of the game, first run through. But ... I don't know, this one looks really good.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Link or something?.
    At your own risk, last 30 mins or so of ending, not hard to pierce together the story.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyc...y#.UUrVxzserVP
    Last edited by Shezo; 21-03-2013 at 09:13 AM.

when you say shitstorm, you mean its gonna be controversial (in a good way) or just because of genuinely being bad? im not watching the videos or want any spoilers

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    when you say shitstorm, you mean its gonna be controversial (in a good way) or just because of genuinely being bad? im not watching the videos or want any spoilers
    From what I've seen of that video, there's a twist involved that I think is in there for the sake of there being a twist. It's possible that with additional context from the rest of the game its impact might be felt far better, or if the player had played it differently he might have gotten a better ending, but I'm not holding my breath.

Postscript: Which isn't to say that I found it as odious as some other game endings (and by my, though admittedly poor, judgement of other gamers, I don't think it will evoke as even close to as big of a shitstorm as Mass Effect 3's ending if they do think it's genuinely bad).

Obscure Node
    I just want to know why they are pushing the pre-orders so hard?

The latest deal I've been offered is Bs:I + Bs + XCOM:EU + Civilization V (1) all for £24. What is the deal, that price alone is cheap for a AAA title, why all the extra sweetener?

Theory 1: They are desperate to sell you the DLC
    Theory 2: They realise they've done an Aliens:CM and over sold or under produced and expect a shit storm
    Theory 3: They expect a shit storm
    Theory 4: The capitalist market is functioning exactly as it should when the cost of unit production is effectively zero.

(1) or Spec Ops: The Line or Mafia II

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ecat View Post
    I just want to know why they are pushing the pre-orders so hard?

The latest deal I've been offered is Bs:I + Bs + XCOM:EU + Civilization V (1) all for £24. What is the deal, that price alone is cheap for a AAA title, why all the extra sweetener?

Theory 1: They are desperate to sell you the DLC
    Theory 2: They realise they've done an Aliens:CM and over sold or under produced and expect a shit storm
    Theory 3: They expect a shit storm
    Theory 4: The capitalist market is functioning exactly as it should when the cost of unit production is effectively zero.

(1) or Spec Ops: The Line or Mafia II
    Or logically: All of those have been regularly on super-sales before so the vast majority of gamers who want them have them. So this helps get pre-orders which boost first week sales which is what determines if a game was "successful" or not.

It is similar to the mega-THQ sales before they completely went under (although, different rationale, obviously): Basically everyone who was going to buy those games had already bought them, so the prices were dropped to "next to nothing" to encourage hoarders and impulse buys.

Hell, the only reason I own half the Paradox games I do is because I wanted a copy of CK2 and it was cheaper to get the mega-bundles.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

The insane push for pre-orders is definitely making me skeptical. (GG will give you $18 in store credit for a pre-order.)

But I'm more skeptical about the political parable. I watched a gameplay video, and from what I gather, there are two sides in the background: the folks who rule the island/floating city/whatever, and the pseudo-proletarians who rise up against them. But the video I saw basically showed the rebels as murderers and rapists bent on destruction more than justice. It's the same problem as The Dark Knight Rises: this liberal bullshit about both sides (organized power and organized revolution) being equally extreme and repugnant and the truth being carried by one enlightened and rugged individual (and his lady friend). It's basically Ayn Rand. Should I be surprised by that? When the gameplay in the first one got so mind-numbingly repetitive, I gave up, so I don't know if the game actually ended up taking a position on the ideology behind Rapture or not.

Levine's made some comments about how this game was going to take some bold political stance but what I saw suggested something distressingly simplistic and well-worn.
    Sometimes I write things

Network Hub
    I have enough trust in Levine to at least reserve judgement until reviews come out. You should never trust other people's reaction to plot points anyway, as long as you have an ounce of confidence in the writer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    The insane push for pre-orders is definitely making me skeptical. (GG will give you $18 in store credit for a pre-order.)

But I'm more skeptical about the political parable. I watched a gameplay video, and from what I gather, there are two sides in the background: the folks who rule the island/floating city/whatever, and the pseudo-proletarians who rise up against them. But the video I saw basically showed the rebels as murderers and rapists bent on destruction more than justice. It's the same problem as The Dark Knight Rises: this liberal bullshit about both sides (organized power and organized revolution) being equally extreme and repugnant and the truth being carried by one enlightened and rugged individual (and his lady friend). It's basically Ayn Rand. Should I be surprised by that? When the gameplay in the first one got so mind-numbingly repetitive, I gave up, so I don't know if the game actually ended up taking a position on the ideology behind Rapture or not.

Levine's made some comments about how this game was going to take some bold political stance but what I saw suggested something distressingly simplistic and well-worn.
    This is a really good example of the direction I feel it's going-it's trying too hard. I'm not saying a game where you fly around on a steel rollercoatser on a city in the sky can't make politically and morally astute points necessarily but it certainly will need to project them differently to pretty much anything like what we're used to. As is this just sounds like Bioshock or Blade Runner transplanted to a violent political circus in the sky, but with all the grinning and staring into the middle distance and somberness in tact.

AAA studios would never have the balls to take bold stances on politics.

Quote Originally Posted by dsch View Post
    I have enough trust in Levine to at least reserve judgement until reviews come out. You should never trust other people's reaction to plot points anyway, as long as you have an ounce of confidence in the writer.
    My comments were based on a 20-minute gameplay video.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear
    AAA studios would never have the balls to take stances on politics.
    In one way that's true, but in another way, the apparent message of what I saw in Infinite- any clear stance is just going to be extremism no matter what, so just stick with the rugged apolitical white dude- is definitely a political stance all its own, and a dangerous one that seems to be infecting pop culture.
    Sometimes I write things

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    This is what I don't understand about criticisms of something like Dark Knight Rises. It's a fiction, a fiction in which both sides are repugnant and the audience's sympathies are with the one guy in a funny costume. Yes, the fiction looks a lot like the real world, though changed in fantastical ways, but that is why it is fictional. Plato would have something to say about not being able to distinguish fiction from fact. Also, there's an essay by Eco ('The Myth of Superman') about how and why good in Superman is defined as the law of private property. Both of which would be more productive avenues of discussion than handwringing over the perceived political injustices in the representation of a fictional world.

Edit: Free on jstor.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Link or something?
    Uhhh....

Maybe check the front page of the forums.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Uhhh....

Maybe check the front page of the forums.
    Yesterday, 9:47 PM
    Today, 9:01 AM