Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 395
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by dsch View Post
    This is what I don't understand about criticisms of something like Dark Knight Rises. It's a fiction, a fiction in which both sides are repugnant and the audience's sympathies are with the one guy in a funny costume. Yes, the fiction looks a lot like the real world, though changed in fantastical ways, but that is why it is fictional. Plato would have something to say about not being able to distinguish fiction from fact. Also, there's an essay by Eco ('The Myth of Superman') about how and why good in Superman is defined as the law of private property. Both of which would be more productive avenues of discussion than handwringing over the perceived political injustices in the representation of a fictional world.

    Edit: Free on jstor.
    Society runs on fiction. Economies run on fiction. Myth-making is the main business of any civilization. Most of the West's leisure time goes in to consuming elaborately-produced fiction churned out by massive billion-dollar industries, but somehow this has no impact on us? I'm not sure how the basic idea of culture could seem like such a silly idea to someone derisively suggesting Eco essays. I could suggest in turn you read some Joseph Campbell, or hell, even cite Plato right back at you, but instead I'll just propose that if you don't think the terms of a discussion are worthwhile, you'll probably be happier spending your time elsewhere instead of undermining someone's interests.
    Previously on falsecountry.net:
    Banished Expectations
    - of Banished, Saints, and Lords on Lithium

  2. #62
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Society runs on fiction. Economies run on fiction. Myth-making is the main business of any civilization. Most of the West's leisure time goes in to consuming elaborately-produced fiction churned out by massive billion-dollar industries, but somehow this has no impact on us? I'm not sure how the basic idea of culture could seem like such a silly idea to someone derisively suggesting Eco essays. I could suggest in turn you read some Joseph Campbell, or hell, even cite Plato right back at you, but instead I'll just propose that if you don't think the terms of a discussion are worthwhile, you'll probably be happier spending your time elsewhere instead of undermining someone's interests.
    I was not citing Eco derisively. I did not suggest the idea of culture is silly. I was suggesting that the discussion be further nuanced, instead of being restricted to a simple feedback system between society and its fictions. Not sure whose interests you think I'm trying to undermine, except people who have found the society/fiction link a convenient place to stop thinking.

    Also, if you're going to cite Plato (presumably Republic on the banning of undesirable arts), you should be prepared to address the totalitarian state he recommends, along with its perfected state ideological apparatus.

    Edit: Is it me, or are people really touchy about being asked to think?
    Last edited by dsch; 22-03-2013 at 12:24 AM.

  3. #63
    No, it's not just you. You should see the replies I got from someone named "dsch."
    Previously on falsecountry.net:
    Banished Expectations
    - of Banished, Saints, and Lords on Lithium

  4. #64
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    No, it's not just you. You should see the replies I got from someone named "dsch."
    What's with the passive aggressiveness? You know, you don't lose anything if you actually address the topic at hand instead of playing all butthurt about something.

  5. #65
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,054
    Sorry to post something B:I related in this thread for a change, but... yeah.

    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

  6. #66
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,231
    Not gonna lie, I know next to nothing about the game but I preordered simply because the preorder deals make it worth it.

    What's more, as a libertarian leaning video game player who happens to take moral objection to video games that let you kill children, I can finally get round to playing a game that I imagine is gonna be like a GCSE essay on Rand. Looking forward to this treat.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

  7. #67
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Not gonna lie, I know next to nothing about the game but I preordered simply because the preorder deals make it worth it.

    What's more, as a libertarian leaning video game player who happens to take moral objection to video games that let you kill children, I can finally get round to playing a game that I imagine is gonna be like a GCSE essay on Rand. Looking forward to this treat.
    Haha, first rate trolling.

  8. #68
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    205
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/ar...-infinite.html

    Edit: Incidentally, what got the spoiler thread closed? I don't want to look in there.
    Last edited by dsch; 24-03-2013 at 05:21 PM.

  9. #69
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,799
    Hivemind WiT just went up.

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...ite-pc-review/

    Seems quite positive, don't see the word DISGRACE in there at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  10. #70
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Slovenia| Ljubljana
    Posts
    3,985
    PCGAMER gave it editors choice and score:





    Slightly muddled, but it’s a muddle of beautiful scenes and spectacular combat set in a breathtaking place.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

  11. #71
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    1,996
    Eurogamer gave it a 10/10.

    I guess it will be almost impossible for any other game coming out this year to top that.
    to wound the autumnal city.

  12. #72
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,855
    Yeah, from skimming the RPS WiT, my assumptions hold true. It is like Bioshock 1. Decent game, nothing amazing, with a divisive plot. I for one hated Bioshock's plot as I felt it was lazy and ill thought out whereas other people claim it was genius and "meta" and deeply philisophical and junk. Because people have different opinions (it is just that every opinion that isn't my own is wrong :p).


    Quote Originally Posted by dsch View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/ar...-infinite.html

    Edit: Incidentally, what got the spoiler thread closed? I don't want to look in there.
    General asshattery.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  13. #73
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Slovenia| Ljubljana
    Posts
    3,985
    Of course its gonna be overrated,first reviews are always 90,10/10,goty shit material wowowo.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Of course its gonna be overrated,first reviews are always 90,10/10,goty shit material wowowo.
    Yeah, all first reviews are always 90... I agree that scores are generally higher these days, but they don't hand out perfects very often.

  15. #75
    Network Hub Maurish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    142
    To those that are waiting for the midnight release, you might want to head over to your graphics card provider and update your drivers. Nvidia released a new driver today with performance gains for Infinite. I assume AMD has or will do the same.

  16. #76
    Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    To those that are waiting for the midnight release, you might want to head over to your graphics card provider and update your drivers. Nvidia released a new driver today with performance gains for Infinite. I assume AMD has or will do the same.
    Thanks for the heads up. Installing now via remote desktop.

  17. #77
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by asskicker View Post
    Yeah, all first reviews are always 90... I agree that scores are generally higher these days, but they don't hand out perfects very often.
    Even SimShitty's first review was a 95. Was.

  18. #78
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,640
    I think this will be a good game, but overrate because "fanboy journalist".

    I hope is a good game, because I bought it.

    I think I finished Bioshock 1, but never finished the 2 (got it for $5). I like the settings, I want to explore more than combat.

  19. #79
    Network Hub MadJax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    122
    Been playing a few hours now and I'm loving it :) a bit of a VERY MINOR not even story related but an easter egg spoiler (Dunno how to spoiler tag this so stop reading now. NOW. Seriously, right now if you don't want to know!):




    Seems our beloved Mr. Jim Rossignol has a bit of a cameo as a pervert right near the very start of the game :)
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

    Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.

  20. #80
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Even SimShitty's first review was a 95. Was.
    Polygon don't count!
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •