Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    I'm curious why people are so skeptical of this game. I thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock and enjoyed Bioshock 2 nearly as much. Assuming that Irrational Games didn't pull a fast one on us, my immediate assumption is that the game will be good to say the least.
    Is it because people think this game wont live up to the original?
    Or is it that people think the game took to long to develop, and it wont deliver?
    None of these bother me at all. I tend to stay away from DLC and I assume the game will be short and sweet; much like Dishonored.
    But I'm curious to hear from the people who are skeptical.

ambing, if you're assuming it's short and sweet, you'll be pleasantly surprised if you're like me and explore everywhere :)

More reflections: gameplay is very similar to Bioshock 2 in most regards, though it feels like it flows faster and is more nuanced (I'm playing on hard) with Vigors playing just as much of a role as the guns themselves (I'm not far into the game admittedly)

My piece of advice for everyone: Turn FoV to maximum from the off, I started with it at default (I'm generally ok with default FoV's) and it started to hurt my eyes after the first hour or so. And definitely turn off enemy health bars :)
    Last edited by MadJax; 25-03-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Holy shit, the mouse settings are AWFUL! It's way too sensitive. Minimum is too slow, the next higher setting is too fast. I have to play on minimum with mouse acceleration, and even that's too fast for me :/

I adapted quite quickly to the mouse settings in fairness, it threw me at first admittedly :/
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ambing1 View Post
    I'm curious why people are so skeptical of this game. I thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock.
    That's the thing. Many people have rolled their eyes at the overblown praise for BioShock, and Infinite just sounds like more of the same. It was an average-ish shooter with very high production values. That's all.

I mean, is that even in contention? I don't think I've seen anyone claiming BioShock was utterly brilliant as a shooter or whatever. The disagreement is how much value you place on graphics, setting, story, and overall "polish".

Quote Originally Posted by ambing1 View Post
    Is it because people think this game wont live up to the original?
    While there are a lot who did like Bioshock, my cynicism is less it wont live up to the original and more it will be just like / very similar to the original.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    That's the thing. Many people have rolled their eyes at the overblown praise for BioShock, and Infinite just sounds like more of the same. It was an average-ish shooter with very high production values. That's all.

I mean, is that even in contention? I don't think I've seen anyone claiming BioShock was utterly brilliant as a shooter or whatever. The disagreement is how much value you place on graphics, setting, story, and overall "polish".
    Bioshock was criticsed for having an identity crisis, specifically for having a plot which bore no real resemblance to what you as a player were doing. It was one of the first games to really fall under that critical hammer, and the term ludonarrative dissonance was coined by Clint Hocking for Bioshock.

Infinite sounds as though it knows what it is and has focused on that. It's not an open world game, or an RPG, or a survival horror, let alone trying to be all three. It's primarily about the narrative, both in terms of plot exposition and the world it is set in, and it's a narrative you interact with using violence. I'm always up for a good story in any medium, so quite excited by this. I preordered it and chose the Darkness II as my game of choice for exactly the same reason.

Just found on a site a little cheat:
    On the title screen where you can select new game, optiones etc... press:
    UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT Esc Enter

If you do it right 1999 mode unlocks automatically without having to playthrough the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Just found on a site a little cheat:
    On the title screen where you can select new game, optiones etc... press:
    UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT Esc Enter

If you do it right 1999 mode unlocks automatically without having to playthrough the game.
    Aye the PC Gamer site reported on this earlier. Fair enough if you want that extra challenge, myself, I'll leave that for my second play through anyway :)

The mouse settings are strange indeed but the trick here is to use the mouse to adjust the slider. If you go with keyboard, you find that the lowest option is too slow and the next is too fast. If you use the mouse and drag the slider, you can adjust it more accurately. Had no trouble finding a sweet spot for my liking.

Also, if you'd like more FoV out of the slider, you can do that by going to your documents \My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config and editing the XUserOptions.ini. Find the line MaxUserFOVOffsetPercent and change the value. Default maximum is 15, I found 45 to be quite comfortable for my resolution.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Anyone know how to access the Industrial Revolution pack you get with the pre-order?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wow, played a lot of hours this night. The game is a gem. It has character, and symphaty. Its like a mix of dishonored and half-life.

I was only able to play a couple of minutes so far but the identical faces thing mentioned in the WIT is already very visible. In fact, that's the first crowd you see in the game:

Just...why would they cut corners there?
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Anyone know how to access the Industrial Revolution pack you get with the pre-order?
    You go to https://www.finkmanufacturing.com/ and log in either via facebook, or you make a new account, and you activate the code they gave you.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Thanks. I did that. Do the rewards just show up automatically the next time I log into the game? I see there is some kind of flash game involved.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I was only able to play a couple of minutes so far but the identical faces thing mentioned in the WIT is already very visible. In fact, that's the first crowd you see in the game:

Just...why would they cut corners there?
    Repeat elements is one of the curses of any current generation multi-platform game. This is nothing new. Regardless of how you slice it or dice it they still have to get a game down to a manageable size for a 360/PS3 to run with their low RAM footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Thanks. I did that. Do the rewards just show up automatically the next time I log into the game? I see there is some kind of flash game involved.
    I dunno. I just started up Infinite to check, and there is a grayed-out DLC option in the menu, but the game doesn't actually ask me to log to anything at this point. And thank god for that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    What's the DRM for the boxed version?

Steamworks, same as everywhere.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    You go to https://www.finkmanufacturing.com/ and log in either via facebook, or you make a new account, and you activate the code they gave you.
    What??? It's the first time I hear about this...
    Fuck this, I don't have FB and I m not gonna register an account just for some shitty DLC crap. Who the hell thought this is a good idea??