Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Maybe we should have someone actually chairing the meeting? It's hard to "raise your hand" through Mumble, but maybe we could flash the push-to-talk button if we have something to say, and someone keeps a list of speakers and say when it's someone's turn. That's how it is usually done in big meetings.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Maybe we should have someone actually chairing the meeting? It's hard to "raise your hand" through Mumble, but maybe we could flash the push-to-talk button if we have something to say, and someone keeps a list of speakers and say when it's someone's turn. That's how it is usually done in big meetings.
    Second that, so long as the chair is fine with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    People can x-up in mumble channel text chat. That would be an easier to notice "hands up"
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Sounds good. Flashing PTT by just keeping it open for a second or two would work as well imo (with overlay).
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Yes, and so did others that I talked to. So let's just chuck it out there - BasicPauly and MrEclectic, can you leave a bit more room for others? You answered pretty much everything last time and talked for a majority of the meeting. Quite often when people tried to speak you cut them off.

It wasn't that nice, and for the meetings to be good we need to have a lot of speakers.
    Im sorry, but this simply isnt true.. you had a fair say too... as did around 5 other regulars.... I only spoke about the youtube, website and a brief bit about public platoons, which was then dominated by nick as it was his go to subject at the time...

If I speak, to be fair its because theres something to say that is relevant, or I have been asked a question. I didnt cut anybody off, and I dont believe eclectic did either tbh.. I think I was the first person to actually make a point in asking for more speakers! Most people just didnt speak save a few individuals who then joined in.

I dont mean to make this sound too bad, but I just see that as plain bullshit. I know I did speak out, but so did a lot of others and therefore to pin blame here is a bit pissy... sorry Ride, but it was a little unfair given you are usually one of the first people who speaks out loud and proud :P. No disrespect meant, but you see my point im sure.

I did not during this meeting though, and no, you did speak a lot about pretty much all topics. Regarding cut offs - I probably shouldn't have wrote that as it happened like two times.

The reason why there was so few people speaking up was because it almost never got quiet, and when it did, some of the already vocal people spoke again. I did NOT talk a lot and was also personally whispered on why I was so quiet. I personally felt that there was absolutely no place to get a word in.

Regarding having a fair say, I spoke for about two minutes regarding something was specifically asked to me since it was about my proposed comms system. I also piped up a few other times. Generally I am one of the chattiest, yes, I fully agree, and I probably talk way too much generally, regardless if I lead or not.

I see now that it was a mistake to call out individuals though.
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    I dont mean to make this sound too bad, but I just see that as plain bullshit.
    I'm sorry, but it's really not. You weren't the only one doing it, but i distinctly remember lengthy comments on every single topic from you ...

Before this derails into pointless accusations ... let's just aim to be more concise and only speak when we have to contribute relevant stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Yes, you have a point there, I tend to talk a lot. And since this is a second language, it also tends to take a lot of time to talk a lot :P

Will try to keep it short and sweet, although, I have to warn you, there is a point in tomorrow's agenda I want to say a fair bit about.

I'm not going to name anyone, and who it was doesn't really matter. I remember during my only time to speak I was interrupted during my second sentence by someone, and it was annoying.

please, be excellent to each other.

Well, sorry for not being excellent. I fully admit I wasn't. I felt a need to specify who I actually meant since I do think we should that kind of an open atmosphere here where such things can be discussed without much trouble.

I do realize that was probably a bad idea.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Guys, if you're concerned that someone is talking too long, be it in game generally or in a meeting, you have to speak up and make it abundantly clear. Be that retrospectively or to bear in mind for the future. If there are specific people you think need to close their mouths a little bit more, be polite and contact them privately. There is zero need to air these things in public, even if people agree with you. It's not fair on the person being criticised because in all likelihood, what you're criticising them off they likely aren't aware of and are certainly not doing it maliciously and it doesn't look amazing on you either.

As for during the meetings, perhaps a time limit of how long people should speak for. Maybe, at most a minute at a time? 90 seconds? Just throwing out numbers here. There certainly does need to be some priority system for communicating, I'd agree that much.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Yup, fair points made by all. I was also guilty of rambling on about the Public Platoon at one stage. But anyway!! Lets just drop it all here, learn from that, and move forwards with the excellent idea of "X-ing in chat" if you have something to say about the highlighted subject.

I am very happy to chair the meeting tomorrow, and if everyone is fine with that, i propose that we go with the X-chat structure.

I'll introduce the topic, then say "If anyone has anything they would like to mention about this then please put an X in chat now." Give it 10 seconds, then open the floor to the x-ee's one after the other. I would suggest though, that we set an allowance of 3 X's, per subject, per person. (i'll be keeping tally) Simply to avoid the use of "and also, another thing is" when somebody takes the floor. That way, the only points people will being raising will be ones that they deem the most important (hint hint).

I'll take notes on what each of you say, so we have the chance to re-discuss the key points on the forums later on (if we want to). Now, obviously not everyone is going to have something to say straight away, in fact the majority will probably listen to the points raised, then think of something to say. Though to avoid this 'waiting for inulectual stimulation effect' to drag the chat on, i suggest a guideline time limit of 30 minutes. That's long enough for most people to at least think of one thing, let alone 3. (Though time spent on subjects will fluctuate based on how many people respond and how many x's they each use up.)

Once that subject is closed, it's closed. Simply for the good of the 'Outfit Chat'. It's not the end of the world if you don't get to air your personal opinion or response to somebody else's suggestion/opinion. Then wash, rinse, repeat.

Note: The above is not intended to be strict guidelines. It's simply a skeleton set of rules.

Response to peoples points is definitely encouraged, it's an outfit discussion after all. I'll just keep tabbs on who speaks, how many times they do, how relevant it is in the current context and usher on the next subject if things stagnate.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laldy View Post
    please, be excellent to each other.
    /10characters
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I won't be able to make this one due to business arrangements, unfortunately. I'm looking forward to the recap though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    I am very happy to chair the meeting tomorrow, and if everyone is fine with that, i propose that we go with the X-chat structure.
    Thanks for stepping up for this! And for setting up some ground rules, so people can get to have a say in peace and quiet.

Do you think it's wise to take notes yourself, though? I'm thinking it can be a lot to keep track of. If you're confident it'll work, then go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Thanks for stepping up for this! And for setting up some ground rules, so people can get to have a say in peace and quiet.

Do you think it's wise to take notes yourself, though? I'm thinking it can be a lot to keep track of. If you're confident it'll work, then go ahead.
    Yeah, thats quite alright. I'm happy to.

And definitely, yeah. I would much rather somebody else took the notes. It would let me focus 100% on Chairing. I only said i would to try and steer this thread into more constructive winds. Somebody up for that? I will likely take notes anyway, just not particularly thorough ones.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    I'm sorry, but it's really not. You weren't the only one doing it, but i distinctly remember lengthy comments on every single topic from you ...

Before this derails into pointless accusations ... let's just aim to be more concise and only speak when we have to contribute relevant stuff.
    It was, because it was an unfair accusation and directed.

There were no lengthy comments about every topic, because I had no interest in most of the topics. For example, I didnt speak at all during the discussion about inter outfit organisation because its not something I care to participate in. (not because I dont value the idea, just because I have no interest in that level of organisation).

I listed the topics that I spoke about and any other input would have only been to ask for more people speaking up. To be absolutely fair, while I did speak about those issues I had a part in (youtube, public platoon).I just tend to say everything then and there.. I see no real need and have no desire to go out of my way being concise. If I have no place in it, I dont comment.

Ride, thanks for accepting that it was a little offensive/bad naming names. I only make the point about you speaking a lot because I do often hear you being fairly vocal about issues such as comms.

I couldnt comment about anybody else that you guys also felt spoke too much, but I didnt feel that eclectic spoke too much either.

I also couldnt help it that there were topics that directly involved me, otherwise I probably wouldnt have spoken as much at all.... well I could have, but then the issue would have had one perspective missing.

Personally, when ive been in the mumble before, its usually me who feels I cant get a word in unless I make a point to make space for myself to speak, so I have no idea how its gone this way.

Apologies for "not being excellent" if you consider it that, but im just being honest in voicing this. Im sorry for extending this too, but I do consider it a bit of a personal hit and dont think I actually spoke all that much at all..

Back on topic: good luck nick if you do end up taking the notes/whatever. If you are planning on chairing it though, it would really be a good idea if somebody else takes notes. Mind you, im not volunteering for that...
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 15-03-2013 at 10:39 PM.

It was no hit. It was my experience, and I was also being - from my perspective - honest in voicing it. I meant no ill will, but I did want to clear the air and get it out before tommorrow. As JG said, it can be hard to know. I have now realized that naming is a no go here and that it seems to be only me preferring that approach as if ended up as a complete mess to say the least. For that, I am sorry. If you feel you experience me similarly, just tell me. I have no problem with being called out and I appreciate all critique.

JG: How would I have been able to speak up without naming? Saying "a few people are talking too much" is just a bit ridiculous. The other option is then tells which I personally feel are just counter productive. It forces the person on the defense (perhaps this did as well I guess). I planned on doing it, but was too afraid to - as I did now as you said - look bad. I also didn't manage to get a good window to speak.

Regardless, ground rules are needed for this. I don't know if they need to be so specific though. It's up to you.

I will be there tomorrow. I hope my presence doesn't cause any harm after this. I assure you that I will mostly listen.
    Last edited by RIDEBIRD; 16-03-2013 at 03:22 AM.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    There's no harm coming from raising a concern. That's the entire point of the meeting, after all and this is a very important point; if people feel like they cannot comfortably comment, whatever the reason, that's a big problem.

As for during a meeting, I don't think sending tells is counter-productive. If you really think that someone is speaking too much, just a quick tell going "Hey, I just wanted to say something. Do you think you could maybe give way next time you speak so I may?" In fact, it's not uncommon that the bigger speakers will notice other people wanting to speak (obviously this is easier to catch physically) and will go "Well actually, I think X wants to speak." There's also sending a message to the chair, whomever that may be, raising a concern that someone(s) is speaking too much. No-one messes with the chair, so that can work.

Yes, it can put people on the defensive, but I think only if it's phrased a certain way. Out-right saying "You're speaking too much, shut up!" (which I know no-one will say, just giving an example) will do that, but doing it in a "I'm concerned that I may not be able to speak and I feel what I have to say is very important" or something like that should be better; putting the emphasis on you, rather than them, will work better too. Whatever, there's lots of ways of phrasing it and various people contactable.

This isn't purely directed at you, Ride, merely a response to the points you bring up. This goes for everyone. If you do not feel you're being listened to, or that you have a point to bring up, you need to make that obvious in a way you think best. This whole thing is a learning experience and we'll get it right as we go along, much like organising the outfit itself, so there'll be some bumps along the way, but hopefully it'll be fine after another attempt or so.