Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar

Looking for a CPU Fan replacement

At the moment I have the Arctic Alpine 11 Plus running but that one shortly began to rattle, I looked for a solution or a way to fasten the fan itself but there was no possibility of improving the stability of the fan.

So now I'm looking for decently priced a replacement, I've looked around a bit but couldn't really make up my mind based on given fans and reviews.

Anyone here have some suggestions, opinions and/or experiences with CPU fans?
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    I'm gonna be boring and say Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

Just the fan? Anything by Nexus.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been looking at some 'bundle' mobo/cpu/memory packages and it does seem that water-cooling is the new 'must have' - I've always dismissed it as something for people intent on squeezing their hardware to death in search of a few more FPS, but looking around it does seem that there are some quite sensible water-cooling systems out there, sealed for life and almost more practical than some of the higher-end air-coolers?

The only real fiddly bit seems to be choosing a case which can mount their radiators appropriately and without the flexi-pipes getting in teh way of everything??

Is this the way forward then - are they reliable enough to replace a half-decent cooler or am I just looking at too many overclocked bundles? :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Is this the way forward then - are they reliable enough to replace a half-decent cooler or am I just looking at too many overclocked bundles? :)
    I know I've been an ass towards you in the past, but it was only my deranged way of helping you with your next upgrade. You have to admit, there was some helpful info sprinkled in between the over the top nonsense I hurled at you. I'm not going to do that this time.

If you are looking, this is hands down the most well crafted pre-built water cooling kit on the market:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVNuN0UcYUQ

It's easy to install with metal mounting brackets for various AMD and Intel sockets. It's got a full copper radiator. It's got high quality barbs that can be removed for customisation or future expansions. It's got a quality German Laing pump with variable PWM control. It's got low noise fans. It's got anti-kink standard tubing. It's got an integrated reservoir and fill port. It's pre-filled with Swiftech anti fungal liquid solution. It even has an 8 fan header voltage control circuit bundled in. It's $140 in the US. No brainer.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Reliable, sure. Worth it, not really. Particularly with Intel CPUs, whose TDPs have dropped quite a bit in recent years.

Watercooling isn't really worth the price. I'm running a heavily overclocked Intel on a passive heatsink. There's no fan on it. Granted, it's a huge tower heatsink and its grabbing airflow from the PSU and the rear case fan, but still.

It's cool, has some uses but in general from a money invested vs reward standpoint it's a very poor choice. With a good heatsink you can get similar performance for a fraction of the cost.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Watercooling isn't really worth the price. I'm running a heavily overclocked Intel on a passive heatsink. There's no fan on it. Granted, it's a huge tower heatsink and its grabbing airflow from the PSU and the rear case fan, but still.
    sounds like your cpu heatsink is bigger than my case! Watercooling has a very important place for those who want high performance in small form factors.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    sounds like your cpu heatsink is bigger than my case! Watercooling has a very important place for those who want high performance in small form factors.
    It's pretty big, but it fits in my ATX style case (Antec Solo). It's some kind of Thermaltake thing, but I don't know its exact model off the top of my head.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My old P4 3.2HT ran a similar 'no fan' setup but only because the fan had jammed and I'd not noticed :)

I say ran when I really mean "ran until I played a game for more than 20 mins" of course ;)