Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar

[S4t] Basic SL training Sign-up

Please sign up here if you wish to attent. Even if you do not sign up you can still join, but this is to get an idea of the numbers.

This thread needs more replies - I'm in for SL training.

I will certainly be there to give some input and let people wrack my SL memory banks - and also to give my Advanced Combat Medic seminar straight afterwards!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

If I can make it I'd like to come along and listen in. I'm not a willing squad lead (beacon monkey is enough for me), but I'd like to have a few pointers should I end up being thrown into that role.

Very sad I can't make it. More people should sign up
    Steam: Cephas00 | Planetside 2: Cephas00

UPGRADE NOW!

Spread the word I say, even if you can't make it yourself you can attempt to "encourage" other people. (just don't damage them too much)

I'll try to be there but I might be late.

I may be there but that's dependent on what I'm doing on the day.

Soooo.. both the SL and Medic classes are open to everyone in the outfit, no matter their level of skill?
    I ask because since my work schedule has changed, it's been almost impossible for me to do any normal outfit Mon-Sat evenings. I am generally off on Sundays, however.
    And, since I need all the exposure that I can get to the science-of-cohesive-game-play, I'd like to sign up as a "casual drop-in student" to any Sunday School that I can make (and that I think might benefit my team playing.)
    I mean, it's not that I have any allusions of SLing or anything like that. (Hell, I've only just learned the rules of squad swapping.)
    But, maybe, if I were to hear what an SL's objectives and such are, it might help me better understand what my SL is asking of me? *shrug*

Bottom line, I'm not gonna sign up, but will probably show up. If a class is over crowded, or too elite or something, just shoo me away.
    Believe me, I will not be offended.

Also, will there be an Easter Egg hunt between classes, this Sunday??
    "Bring me my purse."

Steam: dead moms walking

Seen wandering around on Auraxis (PS2): zombie00000
    And introducing, on Auraxis (PS2) SweetMama
    While on Connery (PS2) as: PvtFricken

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by moms View Post
    Bottom line, I'm not gonna sign up, but will probably show up. If a class is over crowded, or too elite or something, just shoo me away.
    There is no such thing as a skill cap or to many students. S4T is there to teach and to learn from. Besides, in my oppinion everyone should atleast try to SL at least once. How do you know if you like it or not or have a natural talent for it if you never try it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    . How do you know if you like it or not or have a natural talent for it if you never try it?
    Someday, after you've known me for awhile, we will look back on that quote and laugh.
    But, thanks for the encouragement.
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Quote Originally Posted by moms View Post
    Someday, after you've known me for awhile, we will look back on that quote and laugh.
    But, thanks for the encouragement.
    I was terrible at this game for about a year. in the last 6 months I have become quyite good, and that is through trying new things and finding what i am good at.

So you are half right, we will look back on this and laugh, but probably at your quote above, not dom's :P
    Planetside 2: Dewisant

Support Our Minecraft Server - Currently running Direwolf20 (v1.0.20 MC v1.6.4) ! PM me for WhiteList rights

If I may ask what time this would be starting? I'd probably more-so just listen in (my lag makes doing much of anything overly helpful kind of a pain), but Nick's medic class does sound like something I'd probably do. With that said, I work Sundays so there's a good chance I wouldn't be able to make it anyway!

Basic Squad Leader @ 6:30pm GMT.
    Advanced Combat medic @ ~7:00pm GMT.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Basic Squad Leader @ 6:30pm GMT.
    Advanced Combat medic @ ~7:00pm GMT.
    Except actually BST?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    I was terrible at this game for about a year. in the last 6 months I have become quyite good, and that is through trying new things and finding what i am good at.
    Really? And now you even teach.
    OK, I believe have been, officially, inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    So you are half right, we will look back on this and laugh, but probably at your quote above, not dom's :P
    Well, just as long as there is some sorta laughter.
    Thanks, Dewi.
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Don't want to be an unnecessarily negative nancy, but I do think a certain amount of experience is necessary to squad lead. Basically you have to be familiar with all the game mechanics and the general makeup of bases.

Not that you need much experience at all, getting someone to mentor while you SL could also make up for any gaps in knowledge. It's just that I have seen people trying to SL before who don't know what Galaxies are and it isn't pretty.

When you feel comfortable reading the map and find yourself thinking about counters and stuff in combat (eg. 'perhaps we should pull some AA to get rid of all those mossies' or 'there are a lot of MAXes around, maybe I should go heavy and rocket them') it would seem like a good time to try squad leading. Or if you feel like it before then, fuck it, go for it and prove me wrong!

Perhaps then, it would be a good idea to incorporate an official mentoring system after this Sundays S4T? Those people who attend this Sunday - and then want to take squad leading further could perhaps then understudy or even just sign up for an advanced version with another SL?

Actually it's just dawned on me that it was you Dom who was potentially the other SL teacher signed up? Regardless, you can go ahead and sign me up for the expert/advanced versions of how to SL - that way between us both we can try to iron out potential issues that Rizlar raises.
    Last edited by NickWhite; 17-04-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mentoring does seem like a really good thing, not sure if I have seen it really catch on yet. Didn't want to make a big deal out of my last post, just point out that it's not fair to expect people to SL well if they are very inexperienced with the game.

I disagree Rizlar. To a point anyway. The best way to learn this game is from the point of a squad lead. Besides, when we all started leading 18 months ish ago, we had no experience and had to just do it. Of course things are different now, but through mentoring or just giving it a go for half an hour, thats the best way in my opinion
    Planetside 2: Dewisant

Support Our Minecraft Server - Currently running Direwolf20 (v1.0.20 MC v1.6.4) ! PM me for WhiteList rights