Page 37 of 188 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-topic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    That's that settled then. Doubt I would have got around to it anyway even if I had the unlimited funds to justify the cost, I've had Vegas for about 6 months and I've only loaded it twice. It could be better than premier in every respect for all I know but familiarity versus actually bothering to learn new things is a bitch.

avid and adobe are seriously gearing up for taking the entire market. im happy with premiere, I use it for all my projects.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Also, I wish I could just hear the Stirling stuff without the youtube context as with those videos the cynical side of me is playing internet young male fanservice bingo.

Pretty girl playing a musical instrument (further reading/awesome satire here)
    Pretty girl does the skyrim theme
    Pretty girl writhes around in the rain
    (NINJA EDIT) Pretty girl does WUB WUB (how did I forget that?)

She seems very talented, but she seems like Duffy to Emily Autumns Amy Winehouse. Polished and marketed to perfection. Like Argo, nobody could ever hate it but it won't get any crazy devoted fans either. A bit too... safe. For those of you unfamiliar with Emily Autumn, prepare to either fall in love or get really annoyed. The only two worthwhile responses to art.

Last edited by jaguar skills; 10-05-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    avid and adobe are seriously gearing up for taking the entire market. im happy with premiere, I use it for all my projects.
    Endorsed by the pros! What do you use for post processing? I find its a little limited on its own and it could be my noobishness but I find messing around with After Effects annoying and cumbersome. Really slows me down.

Oh man that brings me back. I haven't listened to it in a very long time (until now), but Laced/Unlaced blows me away every time.

I wasn't expecting a kindred spirit to appear so quickly, guess she's not as niche as I thought! Next you'll be telling me you're a big Doug Stanhope fan.

I still love after effects, ive been using it for 8 years now. but nuke is awesome too. just dont expect an easy (or cheap) ride into nuke, its like shake on steroids. in a fucking fantastic way.

also, im apparently not the only one that though that video was shite. who in their right minds thinks exposition is a good thing?!
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Can't seem to remember who that is, I'm afraid! And I'm fairly niche in my tastes generally speaking, so I wouldn't be too worried about your hipster cred

Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Can't seem to remember who that is, I'm afraid! And I'm fairly niche in my tastes generally speaking, so I wouldn't be too worried about your hipster cred
    Phew, don't have to hand my badge in just yet

Doug Stanhope is our generations greatest philosopher disguised as a brilliant standup. A lot of people have tried to imitate Bill Hicks, but Stanhope is one of the only guys I've seen since that's as simultaneously insightful and totally unafraid to take his audiences to places they don't necessarily want to go.

Definitely getting Bill Hicks vibes, yes. Unfortunately, it only humours me for limited periods of time. Could be because I'm never shocked by what I'm hearing, as it largely seems like just pointing out what's obvious :P

i saw eddie izzard live in april, I can only say hes finally come up with a worthy successor to the death star canteen skit.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    i saw eddie izzard live in april, I can only say hes finally come up with a worthy successor to the death star canteen skit.
    About time, then!

Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Definitely getting Bill Hicks vibes, yes. Unfortunately, it only humours me for limited periods of time. Could be because I'm never shocked by what I'm hearing, as it largely seems like just pointing out what's obvious :P
    If only more people were like you, we wouldn't need people like Stanhope. I agree that he isn't saying anything that has never been thought, but he does say things that aren't said enough. And I'd even go as far as to say I don't get as many laughs per minute as I would watching Louis CK or Chris Rock, but I don't think he's just trying to shock people like Jimmy Carr or that scottish guy who just makes disabled and rape jokes all the time. It's more South Park than Family Guy, if that makes sense.

All that aside, I'm sure we can both agree that this is a good thing;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...y8AD5xE#t=175s

Oh yes absolutely, I see what you're saying. I'm just commenting on their stand-up. Speaking of, I actually saw Louis CK here in Oslo a couple of weeks ago, it was quite good. And for the record I think Frankie Boyle is hilarious, as it seems to me that joking about things that are awful is an excellent way to deal with them rather than get offended and feed negativity. It feels very liberating to laugh at the absurd horrors of the world. Totally get that it isn't for everyone, though.

Edit: speaking of cartoons and social commentary, what's your thoughts on Monkey Dust?
    Last edited by Orius; 11-05-2013 at 12:54 AM.

I should clarify I'm not against offensive comedy, otherwise I certainly wouldn't be a Stanhope fan. I just find that with Frankie Boyle, at least now that he's completely jaded, it just seems to be for the sake of it with little thought behind it. I feel like with a Ricky Gervais, no matter how self indulgent he gets he at least puts some consideration and thought into it. His stand up at least, his blog is ridiculous. In fact, for that exact sort of thing I have a recommendation, Bill Burr. He's great, he's like the standup version of Peep Show where you get to find out that at least one other guy has the same diseased brain you do.

I don't think I saw much of Monkey Dust, but I think I remember it vaguely. Like a dark cartoon right? I think I liked what I saw.

Ah yes, you could be right about that, I haven't seen much of Frankie for a while so quality may well have dropped. Completely share your other sentiments as well. As for Monkey Dust, it is indeed very very dark, and utterly spot on with their social commentary. I would highly recommend you try to give it another go if you seemed to like it, it's by far my favourite cartoon of all time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Monkey Dust was amazing. I was not old enough at all to be watching it though when I did.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    A friend of mine currently needs people willing to participate in a small experiment for his dissertation.
    It's a small (windows only) executable which launcher kind of a game. It takes about 20 minutes. Would be nice if some people would take the time as he needs more people to participate.
    (There is a part which uses a webcam, but this part can be skipped as it is not directly linked to the experiment. You can do it, but you don't have to)
    Also, you can win Amazon vouchers (if you leave your email)

http://www.stefanmittermeier.com/police-interrogation

Also, feel free to pass the link around
    Last edited by bonkers; 12-05-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

i have been singing this all day, in my head...
    it is annoying! so now i am gonna annoy you all!!! *evil laughter*

You need me again, sweet lips?
    Be my friend on Steam

wait. what? mittermeier the comedian?
    - Tom De Roeck.