Page 175 of 251 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 5001

Thread: Off-topic

  1. #3481
    Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Chinese whispers?
    Ahh, is that what you guys call it? The thing where you sit in in a circle and say something to the person next to you and it goes all the way around back to you and is something else.
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

    I shut down The Quanta Cat.

  2. #3482
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    Ahh, is that what you guys call it? The thing where you sit in in a circle and say something to the person next to you and it goes all the way around back to you and is something else.
    Yes. /10char
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

  3. #3483
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,585
    Wasn't there a fuss about that being a somewhat racist name for it some time ago? Especially since it involves the Chinese, it's extra racist if it involves an economic powerhouse. Best off doing a Red Dawn and changing it to North Korean Whispers.

    http://screenrant.com/red-dawn-villa...schrad-106177/
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.



  4. #3484
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,135
    Possibly... but why change something so trivial for the sake of it. Thats what we knew it as, so thats what we call it.

    Its like this whole "we cant call it a brainstorm anymore because what if somebody with a mental disorder gets offended".
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

  5. #3485
    Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Possibly... but why change something so trivial for the sake of it. Thats what we knew it as, so thats what we call it.

    Its like this whole "we cant call it a brainstorm anymore because what if somebody with a mental disorder gets offended".
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's following the "It's always been this way, so that's the only way of doing it" type thinking. At one point it was socially acceptable to say <input racial slur here> in common parlance, but now it's not because people have come to realize it just makes you an ass. (Note: I'm not referring to you as an ass! :P) I also don't think it's necessary to change EVERY thing on the off chance that it MIGHT offend someone, but I do think when something very clearly is offensive then I don't see why it's such a big deal to make a minor change to be nice.

    With that said, is the brainstorming thing an actual issue over there? Chalk that up as one of the ones that I don't see how that could be offensive..is it because some people might not be capable of that type of thinking? That's the only thing I can think of..

    And my contribution to all the deep philosophizing..
    http://pdlcomics.tumblr.com/post/742...nestos-bad-day
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

    I shut down The Quanta Cat.

  6. #3486
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's following the "It's always been this way, so that's the only way of doing it" type thinking. At one point it was socially acceptable to say <input racial slur here> in common parlance, but now it's not because people have come to realize it just makes you an ass. (Note: I'm not referring to you as an ass! :P) I also don't think it's necessary to change EVERY thing on the off chance that it MIGHT offend someone, but I do think when something very clearly is offensive then I don't see why it's such a big deal to make a minor change to be nice.

    With that said, is the brainstorming thing an actual issue over there? Chalk that up as one of the ones that I don't see how that could be offensive..is it because some people might not be capable of that type of thinking? That's the only thing I can think of..

    And my contribution to all the deep philosophizing..
    http://pdlcomics.tumblr.com/post/742...nestos-bad-day
    Oh no I agree with you and in most cases that would be true, but the chinese whispers thing is one that I think is a "meh, its not that bad" thing. I mean, sure it might or might not have been racially fueled, but as long as you dont use it with the specific intent that it will offend, its really just a name of a game that we remember from childhood.

    Besides, anyone who is offended enough/cares enough to look up the full history of why it was named that should probably re evaluate why they are bothering. I wouldnt condemn a person as racist for making an observation that somebody from another country was difficult to comprehend.

    Theres a difference between making an observation or joke reference and being purposefully racist. Its just one of those things I guess, but I wouldnt hold it against someone for making a comment based on my nationality unless it was born from malicious intent.

    and yes, brainstorm was at one point changed to mind map because some moron thought brainstorm might be offensive.


    Oh and nice cartoon strip :P
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

  7. #3487
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Oh no I agree with you and in most cases that would be true, but the chinese whispers thing is one that I think is a "meh, its not that bad" thing. I mean, sure it might or might not have been racially fueled, but as long as you dont use it with the specific intent that it will offend, its really just a name of a game that we remember from childhood.

    Besides, anyone who is offended enough/cares enough to look up the full history of why it was named that should probably re evaluate why they are bothering. I wouldnt condemn a person as racist for making an observation that somebody from another country was difficult to comprehend.

    Theres a difference between making an observation or joke reference and being purposefully racist. Its just one of those things I guess, but I wouldnt hold it against someone for making a comment based on my nationality unless it was born from malicious intent.

    and yes, brainstorm was at one point changed to mind map because some moron thought brainstorm might be offensive.


    Oh and nice cartoon strip :P
    Far as I'm aware, brainstorm was changed to mind map because the former is related (somehow, I have no actual idea) to those who suffer from epilepsy.

  8. #3488
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    My lack of understanding of determinism is no doubt problematic, but my argument is towards the statement from earlier that free will does not exist or is an illusion.

    Im inclined to think that the "i chose to do this for no apparent reason" thing is entirely possible. Random factors can influence decisions, for example the weather, so how does this fit into the suggestion that free will doesnt exist? Especially if we are not talking about predetermination?

    Even if life is to some extent predictable, I simply dont agree with the view that the entire universe could be predicted therefore eliminating any randomness and indeed free will. Im more inclined to sit somewhere in between.
    As has been stated, the entire universe cannot actually be predicted. That's not the point, the important thing is that it could be potentially. What appears to you to be "random" isn't. It's simply the result of a different chain of cause and effect influencing your decisions. We know that the weather isn't actually random, and that it follows certain rules and will behave in a certain way.

    The result this has on free will isn't that you can no longer live your life, but simply that the philosophical concept of any agent acting without constraint is at least flawed (since with sufficient study, that agent's actions could be predicted). It's one of many arguments used against Christian theology, since the concept of free will and sin are so integral to that church.

    In practice, life is wildly unpredictable in many ways, thus creating the apparent illusion that your decisions are down to some vague sense of freedom, when in fact they a part of a complex web of cause and effect.

  9. #3489
    Network Hub Safilpope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Possibly... but why change something so trivial for the sake of it. Thats what we knew it as, so thats what we call it.

    Its like this whole "we cant call it a brainstorm anymore because what if somebody with a mental disorder gets offended".
    A few years back, epilepsy sufferers were asked if they found the term "brainstorming" offensive and they said it wasn't. It turned out they were more offended by others deciding what was/wasn't offensive to them for them
    ARMA, Planetside 2 - Lynche (The 'e' is silent)
    Steam, PS3, Minecraft - Safilpope

  10. #3490
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatChance52 View Post
    Far as I'm aware, brainstorm was changed to mind map because the former is related (somehow, I have no actual idea) to those who suffer from epilepsy.
    Epileptic fits have like 50% of your neurones firing, like some kind of electrical storm. You might offend people in no fit state to even comprehend the meaning by saying it
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  11. #3491
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by fish food carl View Post
    As has been stated, the entire universe cannot actually be predicted. That's not the point, the important thing is that it could be potentially. What appears to you to be "random" isn't. It's simply the result of a different chain of cause and effect influencing your decisions. We know that the weather isn't actually random, and that it follows certain rules and will behave in a certain way.

    The result this has on free will isn't that you can no longer live your life, but simply that the philosophical concept of any agent acting without constraint is at least flawed (since with sufficient study, that agent's actions could be predicted). It's one of many arguments used against Christian theology, since the concept of free will and sin are so integral to that church.

    In practice, life is wildly unpredictable in many ways, thus creating the apparent illusion that your decisions are down to some vague sense of freedom, when in fact they a part of a complex web of cause and effect.
    And the idea that free will is an illusion because of cause and effect is pretty much what I disagree with.

    Sure there are many factors that influence a decision, but I disagree with the idea that we could predict what choices will be made. This is what would be required for free will to not exist at all.

    A factor might influence what I choose to do, but up until the point that I actually make the decision, that could go either way. When I was speaking about how the weather might affect a decision, Im not saying we cant predict the weather, im saying that you cant predict how I will react to the weather on any given day in the future.

    For example, If I dont like rain, I might be inclined to not go out on that day (hence small amount of predictability), however, I may well change my mind 5 minutes into said shower for absolutely no reason that was entirely unplanned.

    cause and effect may have had an influence on that particular change, but there was still a chance that it could go either way right up until it happened, and hence I have exercised free will.

    Let me be clear that this is in no way a complete description or example, but it is a simple explanation of what I believe. There is no way that either of us can say one or the other is true with the knowledge we now have, but I am leaning towards this.

    That wildly random you mention is just that, and not an illusion at all.



    Quote Originally Posted by PhatChance52 View Post
    Far as I'm aware, brainstorm was changed to mind map because the former is related (somehow, I have no actual idea) to those who suffer from epilepsy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Safilpope View Post
    A few years back, epilepsy sufferers were asked if they found the term "brainstorming" offensive and they said it wasn't. It turned out they were more offended by others deciding what was/wasn't offensive to them for them

    Yep. This is why I really dont like it when people complain about the smallest of problems like this. Sure the problems exist, but making a big deal of something is just prolonging the problem and bringing it to attention.... Sometimes when it wouldnt have been a problem at all otherwise.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

  12. #3492
    Network Hub gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Here's a thing that's real. Not a spoof pretend trailer made as a commentary on the state of cinema, this is a real thing that you can pay money to watch.
    Isn't that the same plot as that 2nd garfield film?

    Also, OH GOD IT BURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Steam: gary the super elite hobo
    Planetside 2: Gorncaptain

    "Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken."

  13. #3493
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    353
    The meat eating debate was fun, wasn't it?

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-campylobacter
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

  14. #3494
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,674
    Well if this impacts the price of chicken and Morrisons stops their amazingly cheap deal on minced beef, I might be forced temporarily vegetarian. Not good since I was planning on going low carb once I'd paid off my debts.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  15. #3495
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Well if this impacts the price of chicken and Morrisons stops their amazingly cheap deal on minced beef, I might be forced temporarily vegetarian. Not good since I was planning on going low carb once I'd paid off my debts.
    Not sure what the diet would be for, but if you were planning to lose weight then 5-7 days of "inflammatory, sometimes bloody, diarrhea, periodontitis or dysentery syndrome, mostly including cramps, fever and pain" sounds like just the ticket...

    I think I might skip dinner -

    On the evisceration line, guts are scooped out by automated metal fists. Today’s chickens are bred to fatten fast to a standard 4lb (1.8kg) size in six weeks, but as units of production they are not as obligingly uniform as car parts. If the machine is not adjusted to different crops of birds as they come through, the metal fist can burst the guts, and then any campylobacter is automatically spread to bird after bird.
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

  16. #3496
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,674
    Only if you undercook it :P Which I must admit I do on occasion. Sometimes it's worth the risk to enjoy uncooked meat
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  17. #3497
    Network Hub Grible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh,Scotland
    Posts
    446
    oooo undercooked chicken is just asking for it! Undercooked beef now... that's a thing.

  18. #3498
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    oooo undercooked chicken is just asking for it! Undercooked beef now... that's a thing.
    After my sister's graduation we went to a restaurant called "The Honours" and we shared a medium rare cooked rib of beef. Gorgeous.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

  19. #3499
    Lesser Hivemind Node NickWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Sussex, UK
    Posts
    998
    Never understood the whole 'ribs of' or 'rack of' anything really.

    Get that bone out of there please chef, i cant eat that.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

  20. #3500
    Lesser Hivemind Node laldy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Never understood the whole 'ribs of' or 'rack of' anything really.

    Get that bone out of there please chef, i cant eat that.
    Meat on the bone tastes better.
    Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Never Fear Love.
    DTP. Grace.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •