Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 5763

Thread: Off-topic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Diamonds have plenty of real world applications :P
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Since reading it, i cant shake the comparison between digital goods and diamonds. Both can be bought but have no real value. Of the two, digital goods are more useful.

Stealing digital goods through non in-game mechanics or while breaking the TOS is clearly theft.
    Diamonds are useful, and have real value because they have real uses. They're used in precision drill bits (industrial and medical tools) and optics.

I agree with the second paragraph, and I think the Dutch court in the article made the right decision.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Right, no more high minded debate about things for at least 20 pages. Nothing but mindless stuff designed to illicit a primal response. Aaaaand... GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Diamonds are useful, and have real value because they have real uses. They're used in precision drill bits (industrial and medical tools) and optics.
    You can make them synthetically though, naturally mined diamonds serve no purpose (except arguably as a store of value)

Well, yeah. But those are still diamonds.

Network Hub
    Mike Weatherley is a scumbag and we should do the opposite of what he says. But it might be worth finding out who his scumbag friends are who proposed this new law, and perhaps trying to figure out what their agenda is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Eh, its theft, but its not the same as real world theft. That's all I'm saying.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmaz View Post
    You can make them synthetically though, naturally mined diamonds serve no purpose (except arguably as a store of value)
    They have no resale value. Synthetic diamonds do have uses (sorry), larger diamonds have nostalgic value only.

Hence the comparison.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    They have no resale value. Synthetic diamonds do have uses (sorry), larger diamonds have nostalgic value only.

Hence the comparison.
    Value is in the eye of the beholder, don't forget :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Had to click on the 2nd page to find the Off Topic thread for the first time EVER. Wow.

Also, i take back what i said about cream and chocolate being in doughnuts. Good grief they are divine.

Also: Customary CG treatment for the latest Ubisoft game. This time Ass Creed: Unity

I see Hipstuar Skillz got in there with using Woodkid as a soundtrack before it went mainstream. Anyway, who plans on getting this and exploring the multiplayer coop?
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    I see Hipstuar Skillz got in there with using Woodkid as a soundtrack before it went mainstream. Anyway, who plans on getting this and exploring the multiplayer coop?
    I might if it drops down to below 10, I loved black flag but the godawful stealth sections in almost every level made me want to punch the devs in the face several times over. I also didn't really like the "counter to win" combat system. Its a nice power fantasy but it gets quite boring after a while.
    Steam: gary the super elite hobo
    Planetside 2: Gorncaptain

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken."

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Had to click on the 2nd page to find the Off Topic thread for the first time EVER. Wow.

Also, i take back what i said about cream and chocolate being in doughnuts. Good grief they are divine.

Also: Customary CG treatment for the latest Ubisoft game. This time Ass Creed: Unity

I think it was either Brotherhood or Revelations that used Woodkid for a trailer, way back in the 2009/10 era. I am excited for the co-op, but also dreading the thought of having to use FUCKING uplay. Sorry. Lotta history there.

EDIT: Forgot to say how goddamn psyched I am for the setting. French Revolution is one of the most interesting periods of history for me, given how it inspired both the Irish and American rebellions which came along shortly after.

Revelations used woodkid, and arguably, it had the best story.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatChance52 View Post
    EDIT: Forgot to say how goddamn psyched I am for the setting. French Revolution is one of the most interesting periods of history for me, given how it inspired both the Irish and American rebellions which came along shortly after.
    It's funny cause I've always been fascinated with the American Revolutionary period (or 7 Years War up through that), or the colonial era in general. (I like the way they dressed!) Without trying to come off like an ass, (and not knowing anything about the Irish revolution you're referring to) I just thought I'd point out that the French one came after the American.
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    We've come full circle I think, the revelations trailer was my introduction to woodkid. For all their faults, whoever is in charge of music at ubisoft is doing a bang-up job. From licensed works to Jesper Kyds original music, they rarely put a foot wrong.
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    TWChristine, you will love this then: http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

Starts off with the British Revolutions(1,2 and the 3, which really showed a mediocre performance by all actors), barrels headlong into the American revolution with some good ol' names popping up again, and then sets off straight into the French revolution, I think he wants to go all the way up to the Russian revolution of 1905/1917.

Note that this is the same author that made the excellent podcast series "History of Rome". He has it linked in the top if I recall correctly.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    TWChristine, you will love this then: http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

Note that this is the same author that made the excellent podcast series "History of Rome". He has it linked in the top if I recall correctly.
    Ahh neat, thanks! One of the few bonuses to working over nights is the store is closed and you can listen to an MP3 player! I usually have some kind of philosophy/psychology/history/science lecture going, so this would fit right in! I read The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire a while back and it was quite interesting! My dad was really into Roman history, so that kind of rubbed off on me as well, plus I've always had a fascination with architecture and gravitated towards the Roman aesthetic for that as well!
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Nick, you know ill be there with my wrist blades at the ready.

Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    It's funny cause I've always been fascinated with the American Revolutionary period (or 7 Years War up through that), or the colonial era in general. (I like the way they dressed!) Without trying to come off like an ass, (and not knowing anything about the Irish revolution you're referring to) I just thought I'd point out that the French one came after the American.
    Ah, apologies. American revolution isn't taught as much as European history where I grew up. Irish rebellion (revolution implies success, unfortunately) was 1798, and a lot of it took place in my home county. Funnily enough, there would have been aid provided by the French, led to Ireland by a man named Wolfe Tone, but the ships got into trouble off the coast during a storm and sank.

Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    Ahh neat, thanks! One of the few bonuses to working over nights is the store is closed and you can listen to an MP3 player! I usually have some kind of philosophy/psychology/history/science lecture going, so this would fit right in! I read The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire a while back and it was quite interesting! My dad was really into Roman history, so that kind of rubbed off on me as well, plus I've always had a fascination with architecture and gravitated towards the Roman aesthetic for that as well!
    Well if you ever visit rome, be sure to drop by vienna as well.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."