Page 188 of 284 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,760 of 5671

Thread: Off-topic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    How proficient are you guys with either system and roleplaying games in general?
    No experience at all with DnD style RPGing, so not sure what my innate proficiency would be (zero?). But isn't the idea with this sort of thing that you just roll with it, it's more about making interesting decisions and a good story than working out how to game some tables of numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    No experience at all with DnD style RPGing, so not sure what my innate proficiency would be (zero?). But isn't the idea with this sort of thing that you just roll with it, it's more about making interesting decisions and a good story than working out how to game some tables of numbers?
    Yes it is. However, if you put an optimizer in a group with someone completely new at the game it is really easy for them to overshine the new player in combat capability. This is a problem 4E has. I take joy in optimizing my characters for a concept, and I've done more damage as a healer than my friends have (who do not share my passion for optimizing) on their damage dealer characters.

Also, I'd like to know how much I'd have to explain about the system. I'm fine with completely new players, but I have to prepare for it.

I'm interested in this too. Like others here, I have no experience but if that's not a problem I'd like to join in.
    ARMA, Planetside 2 - Lynche (The 'e' is silent)
    Steam, PS3, Minecraft - Safilpope

All right, so far Laldy, Rizlar, Sir Hoc, EsotericReverie and sketchseven are interested. I'd rather not take this to more than 5 or 6 players, because at least 4E kind of breaks down if you get more than that (not sure about Pathfinder).

Pathfinder is a D&D like system with open (free) rules at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/. I suck at running this, probably, because I'm not completely familiar with the rules yet.
    D&D 4E is a closed system (you have to pay for the books). I know this system very well.

How proficient are you guys with either system and roleplaying games in general?
    I have the 4E players handbook, DM's guide and MM. Unopened.
    I've played amd DM'd AD&D for several years. 1st and 2nd editions. Played D&D before that.
    I'm a big fan of Call of Cthulhu, and have played and GM'd it many times.
    Also played Traveller, MERP, Paranoia and Runequest.
    Last edited by laldy; 20-08-2014 at 05:54 PM.
    What is this coffee that you speak of...
    The War Princess. Z2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm up for a one-shot as well!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

I'm up for something - but I can sit out if you hit your player cap, I've played many things over many years (although not as many things and years as Laldy!).

Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    I'm up for something - but I can sit out if you hit your player cap, I've played many things over many years (although not as many things and years as Laldy!).
    Yeah, Laldy's RPG resume is kind of intimidating

Pathfinder is basically a "simplified and improved" version of D&D 3.5, it actually scales pretty good with 6-8 players if you up the challenge rating on the monsters/bad guys a bit (or throw in more of them). I have played it quite a bit in the past but personally I still prefer the 3.5 rules.

As someone who is lucky enough to lives in a town with a dedicated pen & paper rpg clubb I usually get my rpg needs covered. At the moment we are running a D&D 3.5 campaign (with me as the GM) and we just started a WH40k Dark Crusade campaign, the plan is to be running one campaign every other week.

All right, so far Laldy, Rizlar, Sir Hoc, EsotericReverie and sketchseven are interested. I'd rather not take this to more than 5 or 6 players, because at least 4E kind of breaks down if you get more than that (not sure about Pathfinder).

Pathfinder is a D&D like system with open (free) rules at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/. I suck at running this, probably, because I'm not completely familiar with the rules yet.
    D&D 4E is a closed system (you have to pay for the books). I know this system very well.

You can download the 5th Edition rules for free, and they make a number of improvements over 4th (speaking as someone who liked 4th anyway).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Are there any tabletop RPGs that have more lenient rules. I would love to play one where people could be absolutely any character combination you could think of, including existing characters.

I just want to see unlikely team ups between silly things.

Character creation rules work great for this kind of thing, but its so much funnier when peoples imaginations are set free and left to run wild on crack.

Ive no experience of playing these kinds of things, but id be up for playing one at some point if there are any plans for a bunch of newbies to be tutored in such things. Id do my best to learn quickly, but I couldnt really commit hours of reading to the rule books.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Are there any tabletop RPGs that have more lenient rules. I would love to play one where people could be absolutely any character combination you could think of, including existing characters.

I just want to see unlikely team ups between silly things.

Character creation rules work great for this kind of thing, but its so much funnier when peoples imaginations are set free and left to run wild on crack.

Ive no experience of playing these kinds of things, but id be up for playing one at some point if there are any plans for a bunch of newbies to be tutored in such things. Id do my best to learn quickly, but I couldnt really commit hours of reading to the rule books.
    Sounds like you want a setting-neutral system, something like FATE or Savage Worlds might be worth looking up. Both of those give you the bare framework of the rules, and either the GM can come up with the setting, or there are published settings to use (loads of them if you go for SW).

Alternatively there's something like Fiasco, which is less dice rolling roleplaying, and more storytelling roleplaying. Great fun, that one.

In conclusion, I miss working in a game store. That whole post used to be my job.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatChance52 View Post
    You can download the 5th Edition rules for free, and they make a number of improvements over 4th (speaking as someone who liked 4th anyway).
    Yeah, but you can't download the PHB, DMG or MM for free. Which are things you kinda need.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    My role-playing resume might look like this:
    Games played:

• played Drakar och Demoner (3rd edition, similar to Basic RPG) for many hundreds of hours, starting from when I was eleven
    • did some other Swedish games (Neotech 1+2, Eon, Wastelands, Mutant (2080)...) for quite a good amount of time
    • ran a few campaigns of White Wolf games (Vampire the Masquerade, and a long-running game of Trinity (lovely game!))
    • played the lovely, campy Star Wars RPG from Westwood Games, fun! GM'd it in English as a school project, after hours with three geeky friends, for extra credit
    • tried playing a few D&D games, or other games on the d20 system (Star Wars is the one I remember)
    • ran and played several single adventures and shorter campaigns of Call of Cthulhu (mostly 5th ed.)
    • played a lot of Pendragon during one period, interesting game, with it's dynastic components
    • tried GURPS at some point, didn't really fall for it
    • towards the later years, I started looking into free-form (rule-less) role-playing, which can be terrifying, yet awesome with the right crowd.

• most of my playtime on the games I've played the most is as GM, maybe 55-60%
    • spent countless hour drawing maps and writing settings and back-stories for worlds and adventures. ah, good times...
    • I've been GM-ing RPG scenarios at the big games convention here in Gothenburg a few times (once, notably, a manga-inspired sci-fi adventure (mechs!) that I GM'd in cosplay gear, which was fun )

Oh, and I've spent quite a few weekends in the woods on live-action role-playing events, both as participant and as organiser.

I've dabbled in D&D territory, outside of CRPGs, but the systems are not my favourite. It's always seemed heavy on the combat stats and light on the role-playing, and the role-playing is what really gets me started, or used to get me started, at least. Now, it's been such a long time, I don't really know what'd happen.

I can probably borrow the relevant 4E rulebooks from my neighbour if need be.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

So, people with way more experience than me and people who've yet to hold their first d20. This sounds hard.

Especially I'm a bit spoiled by 4E, I guess, because my thing is to make interesting encounters and I'm not a good roleplayer. We shall see though. I have a general idea of what I want, so now I'm going to fill it in, story wise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Don't worry too much about differences in peoples' experience. If a GM make something interesting, that he/she thinks is fun, it's almost always fun for the players as well. The new players get a brand new experience, and the vets can live out their characters. So go with what you want to do, and I'm sure it'll be awesome.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Yeah, go for it!
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

So, people with way more experience than me and people who've yet to hold their first d20. This sounds hard.

Especially I'm a bit spoiled by 4E, I guess, because my thing is to make interesting encounters and I'm not a good roleplayer. We shall see though. I have a general idea of what I want, so now I'm going to fill it in, story wise.
    Go for it.
    IMO, one of the main ways such a group mix could be difficult to handle is if the experienced players start "rules lawyering". This is an absolute no go area in a group with new people, who may be left utterly perplexed and feeling left out. It can also be a frustrating time for a DM, who'd rather be advancing the plot and helping the newbies, than arguing about the correct dimensions of a fireball in an enclosed and irregular space, and the actual temperature of the flames.

Another is people who insist on role playing every. single. encounter. Even if it's buying a beer in the pub, you get a 20 minute conversation with the barman about the weather. Save the RP for when it matter folks..The Plot is the time to role-play.
    The War Princess. Z2.

Quote Originally Posted by laldy View Post
    Another is people who insist on role playing every. single. encounter. Even if it's buying a beer in the pub, you get a 20 minute conversation with the barman about the weather. Save the RP for when it matter folks..The Plot is the time to role-play.
    Well. There are varying opinions on that point. I'm all for role playing every. single. encounter. If that's what the group is interested in and/or the scenario is about, because it can be an awesome experience and really strengthens the immersion. Or mine, at least. It's not cool to take up all the GM's time with that kind of stuff if the others aren't into it though, that I agree with wholly.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Well. There are varying opinions on that point. I'm all for role playing every. single. encounter. If that's what the group is interested in and/or the scenario is about, because it can be an awesome experience and really strengthens the immersion. Or mine, at least. It's not cool to take up all the GM's time with that kind of stuff if the others aren't into it though, that I agree with wholly.
    I have to admit, when it comes to RPGs, both tabletop and computer, I'm all about The Plot, both as a player and as a GM. I think interacting extensively with NPCs who cannot advance the plot or players need-to-know details can dramatically alter the pace of a game away from what the GM intends.
    The War Princess. Z2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In the instance of someone roleplaying a boring conversation with the barman, would it be possible to tell them to hurry the fuck up in-character as well? And then if it gets really ridiculous, stab the barman in the kidneys. End of conversation!

Seriously though, as someone with no experience Laldy's advice sounds really sensible.