Page 118 of 212 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 4237

Thread: Off-topic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    arent you banned from flying if you have certain eye conditions and so on?
    Yes.
    I think you also need to have 1,500 - 2,000 hours flying before you can even thing about applying to an airline etc.

I would think it's the same idea as people like Euro Truck Simulator don't really want to do long distance haulage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    I would think it's the same idea as people like Euro Truck Simulator don't really want to do long distance haulage.
    To be fair, the Euro Truck thing is a very compressed experience. These flight simulator nutters do trans-Atlantic flights in realtime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

There are actually a lot of people that would want to be airline pilots and are banned from doing so.

You need both perfect vision and have good enough grade to get into the 4 or 5 years long pilot training program.

I had a friend back in high school who knew his dream of being a pilot would never be just because he needed glasses.

I know a transport driver that plays Euro Truck sim. And that's all I have to say about that. I also did a full length flight in FS2000 the first time I was going to meet my now-spouse (meeting on the internet's not just for losers because I did it!). Now that I've said that I wonder if it makes me come off as really weird..

Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    I know a transport driver that plays Euro Truck sim. And that's all I have to say about that. I also did a full length flight in FS2000 the first time I was going to meet my now-spouse (meeting on the internet's not just for losers because I did it!). Now that I've said that I wonder if it makes me come off as really weird..
    This is 2014. I met my partner through ICQ and 12 years and 2 kids later, we are still together. The time for weirdness is over, welcome to the sisterhood of wonderfulness.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Well, the internets a big place. I can live with people meeting on ICQ, but there's a few places that would raise my eyebrows for people meeting and falling in love;

http://falloutequestria.wikia.com/wi...Equestria_Wiki
    http://sonichenandrosechen.com/
    http://incredidoll.com/
    https://hairshirt.com/
    http://paranormalsarah.webs.com/
    http://kigcos.com/

Wasn't any of those, was it Christine?
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Well, the internets a big place. I can live with people meeting on ICQ, but there's a few places that would raise my eyebrows for people meeting and falling in love;

Wasn't any of those, was it Christine?
    Dear goodness you make me laugh! And actually it was on a site about those pillows that look like a lady's lap. Ok, I'm joking! (Not that I'm implying there's anything wrong with it for anyone who wants those) We met on Yahoo chat waaaay back when it first started which was mid-90s sometime. Now whenever we see commercials for dating sites we're like "Pfff..we did that before it was cool!" And congrats on your 12 years, Quanta-cat! Our 6yr anniv is at the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Thanks Jag. You ruined Fallout for me.
    ARMA, Planetside 2 - Lynche (The 'e' is silent)
    Steam, PS3, Minecraft - Safilpope

Quote Originally Posted by Safilpope View Post
    Thanks Jag. You ruined Fallout for me.
    I'm not sure I quite understand the popularity behind the resurgence of My Little Pony. I mean, yea I loved them as a kid but it seems like this time it's gone beyond a toy for young kids and become part of popular culture in a way. I think it's great that it's crossing gender lines as much as it seems to be, I'm just curious what exactly it is about it that is driving that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    You know, I ran into someone who had named their claim in EQ Next Landmark "Equestrian" and made a 20-meter tall pixel art effigy to My Little Poney on it. What a funny conicidence... O_o
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Christine: you mean these hideous monstrosities?

https://www.google.se/search?q=pillo...g&ved=0CDoQ7Ak

Japanese. Of course.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Christine: you mean these hideous monstrosities?

https://www.google.se/search?q=pillo...g&ved=0CDoQ7Ak

Japanese. Of course.
    lol yep! Although really I guess it's not a heck of a lot different from these.. https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=...yfriend+pillow

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Not that I'm interested in either, but I'd rather go for the lap one. I have a phobia of pulses :P
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

It doesn't look very comfortable..like your head would roll off. Besides, I like my pillows nice and cold!

I like the place where you can hire girls to sleep with. Really, sleep with. And you pay extra for choosing which girl, or how long, etc.

the prices are fucking insane.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

It sounds like some kind of non-sexual prostitution. Weird, in a slightly good way, perhaps? Can see it being a nice thing for lonely people without necessarily exploiting the workers quite as much. I dunno...

people used to do it for free, kids nowadays
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    I'm not sure I quite understand the popularity behind the resurgence of My Little Pony. I mean, yea I loved them as a kid but it seems like this time it's gone beyond a toy for young kids and become part of popular culture in a way. I think it's great that it's crossing gender lines as much as it seems to be, I'm just curious what exactly it is about it that is driving that.
    Okay, bear with me for a bit.

The new animation from 2010 started off as being genuinely very good. This is primarily because it was driven by a previous director of the Powerpuff Girls. If you want a really fast lesson in how to create an animation with female leads intended for an audience of girls then you cannot do much better than the Powerpuff Girls. Witty, fast paced and lacking the gender baggage that weighs down the majority of US animation. MLP follows in that vein but is also sentimental-in-the-right-ways.

Although I never became much of a fan I can understand why the series has followers who are so very much in love with it. It triggers all the right buttons for that.

At the end of the day the resulting phenomenon of bronies; young men who've watched the series on the internet and have become avid fans, is no bad thing. As for what is driving it, if I put my feminist theory hat on, I would suggest it's a symptom of a disillusionment in traditional masculine narratives sold to teenage boys which, just like traditional notions of femininity, fail young people in a myriad of ways. Being a fan of a very funny, very well written, loveable cartoon that is ostensibly 'for girls' but comes with very little in the way of gendered structuring amongst an internet-based community is a safe way of working through that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Ahh ok, I didn't know anyone connected with Powerpuff Girls was behind it! Simply saying that makes me understand it a lot more because PPG was one of the few cartoons of that generation that I could stand (and I was a hard-core Bubbles fan). That actually makes me want to perhaps give it a try...if I can get over the fact that my mom gave away all my MLP INCLUDING MY FOUR LEAF CLOVER ONE THAT IS APPARENTLY SUPER RARE AND WORTH LOTS OF MONIES!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That's actually quite interesting. I had no idea the show had that Powerpuff Girls connection either. Previously just assumed it was a case of ironic statement turning into genuine appreciation, gone all out of control over the internet and becoming a genuine subculture, with all the appeal that comes with that. Have a bit more respect for the whole thing now if the show was actually good!