Page 13 of 247 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-topic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madmoxxi View Post
    Thanks Pauly <3

i went cosplaying on dreamhack winter 2012 here in sweden, i think there was 300 ppl wanting to take a pic of me. and i ended up on 2 streams. dota and starcraft II.

and i want as madmoxxi on our Halloween party (kinky night) here at my school and won 1st price.

AND
    I need a new screen... i have a LG - FLAERON w2042s it sux! and it is 22".
    it becomes latitudinal flimmery and i have a dead pixel. but i am a student so i can not afford a new one xP
    Ive never been to a tournament event, the only gaming show ive been to is Eurogamer expo for the past few years. The cosplay is usually pretty shit there.. I mean some of its ok cosplay, but you barely see anybody actually cosplaying, only a select few.

I think I saw a couple of good ones last year, one of which was just a large man dressed in card board boxes and totally pulling it off. There are also the weird ones, and the ones with people dressed in things that they really shouldnt be wearing.... Idk what they were, but there were some people dressed as some anime thing and they had really tight bodysuits on with parts cut out.... needless to say, that their bodies werent really designed to fit the clothes that they had made themselves...

There were also your typical bad attempts at cosplay, as well as your cosplay that bore no relevance to gaming but was an excuse to wear something silly or comparable to string.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    401212_10151108495105776_1770076845_n.jpg

View from inside a TR gal under fire from a scythe.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

scandinavian larping and cosplay is one of the most advanced in TEH WORLD.

Seriously. They even have a system for sex in LARPs.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    401212_10151108495105776_1770076845_n.jpg

View from inside a TR gal under fire from a scythe.
    Pretty as hell
    You need me again, sweet lips?
    Be my friend on Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    scandinavian larping and cosplay is one of the most advanced in TEH WORLD.

Seriously. They even have a system for sex in LARPs.
    Yeha, I think we have a pretty outstanding larp scene. Often, larp == running around in the woods like a lunatic bashing other lunatics over the head with rubber swords. While that is pretty common still, it's the kind of experience I find the least interesting. I prefer, and have been running, the kind of events where mood, roleplaying and immersion is the focus. These kinds of events usually don't have very many systems, certainly not for sex. The most hardcore would probably just act it out as appropriate, though I haven't tried it myself.

Ive never been into/tried LARPing, but to each his or her own. I have to say though, sex in LARP? Isnt that essentially just regular sexual roleplay, but in character? :P... Anyway, Im not gonna comment further on that lol.

I think LARP gets a pretty bad reputation still.. Like I say, idk because ive not done it, but people do still have this view of it being the stereotypical "nerd" running around in capes, and like you say, bashing each other with foam swords.

I suppose either way its kind of true, but what is the appeal of it to you guys? There are other ways of escapism other than putting yourself in the position of acting, without any goal. If it were for the sake of acting in a show, I would understand it more, but currently I just see it as a way that I could embarrass myself and look like a fool?

Cosplay is better, because its focus is to build an awesome costume and show your skills off at a convention, where as the only larpers costumes ive ever seen (i.e. people at my uni) prettymuch just wear stuff that looks a bit shit.. something I could make from a pair of curtains and a stick of foam lol!

I havent heard of larp getting a bad rep. must be your friends ;D

and essentially, its a system for playing out a sex scene without actually having sex. and I would say cosplay is useless, because theyre only built to be aesthetically pleasing, not actually for using.

so you see where that mentality of larping comes from.

note: im not a larper. ive been on four, its not my thing. its like a bad film where everything looks fake as on a set but people take it seriously.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Often, larp == running around in the woods like a lunatic bashing other lunatics over the head with rubber swords.

Also, Larping goes mainstream: http://www.secretcinema.org/! Been to a couple, it seems to involve lots of the same stuff as Larping - you are told what kind of costume to come in, you aren't supposed to break character etc. No dragons tho.

essentially, its a system for playing out a sex scene without actually having sex.
    Are there dice involved?

Day 2 of 30 Days Squat Challenge, April. I think my legs are gonna hurt tomorrow... :s
    They are tired as fuck and I am still sick.
    Be my friend on Steam

I havent heard of larp getting a bad rep. must be your friends ;D

and essentially, its a system for playing out a sex scene without actually having sex. and I would say cosplay is useless, because theyre only built to be aesthetically pleasing, not actually for using.

so you see where that mentality of larping comes from.

note: im not a larper. ive been on four, its not my thing. its like a bad film where everything looks fake as on a set but people take it seriously.
    Well ive only ever heard of it getting a bad reputation because of the stereotypical presumed nerdyness of it. There was a movie made, cant remember what it was, that essentially expressed what I mean, and not just my friends, but a lot of people seemingly have the same idea about it.

I have no problem with people doing it, I just prefer cosplay because it doesnt necessarily come with the bad acting. Its more about making the props look awesome (at least if done well). That said, theres also some awful cosplay..

Lesser Hivemind Node
    On bad eyesight and laser surgery (Jesus_Phish):

Used to be the same, had like -9 and -7 + refractive errors (or whatever its called in english). I did the LASEK one where they do not use scalpels/lasers to cut off a lid but rather use alcohol to dissolve the outer layer of the eye and then do the laser thing under it. Usually the only viable option if you have really bad eyesight. The surgery itself takes about 15 seconds per eye and does not hurt whatsoever, hell I would rather do that 100 times before going to the dentist even once. Then its 2-3 days of lying in a dark room and eating painpills and feeling sorry for yourself. Then another week or so before you see good enough to actually live. After that its just bloody splendid, some eye drops and sunglasses for outside stuff and everything is just so goddamned clear. Like I said, I am at 6 months and I have near perfect eyesight now except for my nightvision which is very easily blinded by light sources. Because I have halos around them which makes even a tiny light obscure a large area, so driving at night is a wee bit wobbly, but that is supposed to go away after 6 months to 1 year. No regrets whatsoever.

It cost me around 3500€ which I had my work pay for from my salary (before taxes so pretty much getting 30% off). So I ended up paying somewhere around 2500€. Which might sound like much but my last pair of glasses cost me like 700€ anyway and was gonna need new ones.

And yes waking up and being able to see the alarm-clock clearly from across the room? It is just as awesome as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    And yes waking up and being able to see the alarm-clock clearly from across the room? It is just as awesome as it sounds.
    Not very awesome then. I hate the sight of my alarm clock.

For those curious about the bread baking last night, I was baking Slovenian Beerbread, normally I make one giant loaf, but since the two colleagues who i split the bread with at work aren't here this work, I did 3 sets of 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gz43bx94i...403_103806.jpg

and here we have edible breast implants:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljr7dsf6ba...312_225434.jpg

Wasn't there supposed to be a food/cooking thread, or am I blind as usual.

Also, instead of LARPing, i chose a sport where I basically get to pelt people with a softball, so... no lightning bolt for me

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Trust me, I can't see my own toes without glasses, I'd be over the moon to be able to see an alarm clock.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Wardancer said something very sweet once he had the surgery. I can see you moxxi, and we are in bed in the morging thats amazing!
    Be my friend on Steam

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So if something you hate that much is that awesome for me, you can see how much of a change it is to finally see without glasses. SO yeah it is that awesome.

And yes, apply that "see the alarm-clock" to whoever happens to be in your bed in the morning and its just that much more awesome.

Seeing the alarm clock has it's advantages... you can swear and throw it accross the room without fumbling for glasses first. (I presume).

Yeah, the last thing you want to do is accidently throw the glasses, then you're in trouble.

Steam ID

ive always had slightly bad eyesight, surely a lot to do with being a very frequent screenuser, but now I finally got glasses even though I dont technically need them. it is a huge difference being able to see clearly again. also looking awesome in the process.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

ive always had slightly bad eyesight, surely a lot to do with being a very frequent screenuser, but now I finally got glasses even though I dont technically need them. it is a huge difference being able to see clearly again. also looking awesome in the process.
    Being a major screen user definitely forced me to get glasses. I could still focus, but the effort caused massive headaches. Now I wear reading and distance glasses (not at the same time....). Utter pain in the arse. I always seem to have the wrong bloody glasses on for what I want to do, and watching TV whilst reading/ using a screen is impossible without getting a headache (I like to have a news or documentary channel on in the background whilst reading/ at the pc). I don't wear varifocals or bifocals because having 2 pairs is bad enough, and they're stupidly expensive.