Page 141 of 269 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191241 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 5377

Thread: Off-topic

... are trams that rare? theres 30-40 of them over here in Vienna, but then again, Vienna was one of the first cities to use them.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    We had them, we got rid of them, we spent 10 years bringing them back and went far far over budget.

They removed all but one of the proposed lines.

They ordered all the trams for all the proposed lines before actually building them so they had a massive surplus (all with custom seating etc to show Edinburgh Trams etc)

Also, I keep mentioning it every now and then but doing nothing - Fringe festival meetup?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    ... are trams that rare? theres 30-40 of them over here in Vienna, but then again, Vienna was one of the first cities to use them.
    They do say, when the moon is full, and the stars align... you can hear the ghostly shuffle of Edinburgh's lone tram. Mournfully it limps to the Airport, humming its low, muffled cry.

Some claim to have seen the beast, but such tales are discarded as wild and superstitious. Learned types say that there's no such thing as Edinburgh Trams. Who can say with certainty? There are some things man was not meant to interfere with.

Edinburgh Ghost Tram is God's domain. Perhaps we can exorcise it to Dunfermline or Kirkcaldy, and be rid of the creature.

Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy have enough issues. Don't put that on them.

The lone tram...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    When it came out, a lot of people complained about the longevity of MGS V Ground Zeroes. They clearly didn't have enough imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Also, I keep mentioning it every now and then but doing nothing - Fringe festival meetup?
    I'm game. I'm available between the 11th and 13th of August, though admittedly after that I'm in Glasgow which I'm to believe is not too distant from Edinburgh.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

We had them, we got rid of them, we spent 10 years bringing them back and went far far over budget.

They removed all but one of the proposed lines.

They ordered all the trams for all the proposed lines before actually building them so they had a massive surplus (all with custom seating etc to show Edinburgh Trams etc)

I'll never understand why they kept halting (and re-filling/paving over/etc) all city centre works every festival/hogmanay/etc. If they'd just had the baws to say "tough luck tourists!" for one (maybe two) whole years it could have been completed much quicker. Although, if they had gone ahead with the Leith line I reckon costs would have soared from "missing equipment and materials"...

Festival Giraffes meetup and drinkup? We could probably put on our own comedy show!

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    I'm game. I'm available between the 11th and 13th of August, though admittedly after that I'm in Glasgow which I'm to believe is not too distant from Edinburgh.
    50 minutes by train.

There's a specific weekend I could probably put up a person or two if needed. I'll find out when. I think it's maybe 22nd-24th~ weekend?

Network Hub
    snip

FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Paris used to have none, relying only on our 14 subways, 5 train-lines-that-work-like-subways-lines and countless buses and local trains.

But in the last 10 years, we've built a few tram lines, and nowadays they are all the rage, we currently have 6, and we will soon have 9 lines in Paris (well actually most of them are just outside the city proper, but whatever). First because Paris' underground already has way too many tunnels (subway, catacombs, etc..). Second it's cheaper and easier to build than subway. Third because it's more reliable than buses. And finally, the fourth reason is that it has a cool reputation because it's a "greener" technology than buses : it works on electricity, reduce size of roads for car traffic and replace gas-powered buses.

For the same reasons, it's also very popular in many other French towns, where new tramway lines replaces old/unreliable buses. Most of theses towns have neither the budget nor enough passengers for a subway line, but do well with tram lines. Building a tram line is usually a very popular endeavor for a mayor in a medium or big French town.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 23-05-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Did someone say... MONORAIL?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhpO_WcR_jE

The jigs up, guys. You've been spotted.
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

What got the Edinburgh people was that we had/have a very good bus service, you can get anywhere pretty fast. Also Edinburgh is SMALL you can walk across the important bits in an hour.

So now we've spend a ton of money putting in one tram line that doesn't really go anywhere.

Also Edinburgh used to have a nice tram network but they ripped it all out in the 50's. Stupid Council.

Quote Originally Posted by moms View Post
    The jigs up, guys. You've been spotted.
    Vanu droppod. Aw yeah.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Certain pictures act as cultural touchstones for the decade they were taken in, this one sums up the 2010's nicely for me;

I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Found some people complaining about the tram in Edinburgh. I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The host's facial expression is priceless. :P
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I understood all of that. Not sure what that says about me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~ó
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESNíTEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    That you're familiar with that particular variety of English? I'm betting on that.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    You watch a lot of Jeremy Kyle and thus are fluent in Exploited Deprived Underclass?