Page 150 of 286 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200250 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 5708

Thread: Off-topic

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by eltdown View Post
    Although you're showing off the Gordon Freeman one, I was distracted by what looks like an awesome Bubble Bobble tattoo. I've got some fond memories of playing that game (although I've never considered getting it inked onto me!).
    It is one of (if not the) first game i remember playing on my brothers C64, so it has a special place for me =)

Although you're showing off the Gordon Freeman one, I was distracted by what looks like an awesome Bubble Bobble tattoo. I've got some fond memories of playing that game (although I've never considered getting it inked onto me!).
    shouldve come to the meet up in manchester ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post

Still not sure yet. Just got up, and I have 4 more hours before I'd have to leave.. Got up because we were supposed to have our RPS D&D session but I'm not sure if it's happening now..I'm cranky and want to go back to bed, so I'm leaning towards not going!
    Cranky is always a crappy way to start the day. Hell, that's probably how that Bourque dude's day started too. So, yeah, stay in bed, and start over tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    might take a while, and it depends on how good you are ;D
    I used to do editing for 7 years or so, compositing for longer.
    Well, my hands shake a bit, can't see a thing without my glasses, and I tend to be on drugs..
    On the upside, I will never come in cranky!
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by moms View Post
    Well, my hands shake a bit, can't see a thing without my glasses, and I tend to be on drugs..
    WE WILL CALL YOU WITH THE RESULTS and etc
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I can be her reference to verify this!

Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    It is one of (if not the) first game i remember playing on my brothers C64, so it has a special place for me =)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    shouldve come to the meet up in manchester ;D
    Honestly, I'm drunk at the moment so full disclosure mode... gave Dewi my phone number but am prone to periods of social anxiety or whatever so freaked out a bit and didn't attend (I live pretty much in Manchester). [/tmi]

I remember playing Bubble Bobble two player with my younger sister on my C64. Brilliant fun but we never got to level 100. Tried to load it up last time I was at my parents' but had some problems with their newer TV and the C64 connecting to it.

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Crack is wack, moms!
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Honestly, I'm drunk at the moment so full disclosure mode... gave Dewi my phone number but am prone to periods of social anxiety or whatever so freaked out a bit and didn't attend (I live pretty much in Manchester). [/tmi]

I remember playing Bubble Bobble two player with my younger sister on my C64. Brilliant fun but we never got to level 100. Tried to load it up last time I was at my parents' but had some problems with their newer TV and the C64 connecting to it.

I highly recommend playing the gameboy advanced remake of bubble bobble. It includes the original.

And dont be afraid of me, I will just put you in my basement tunnel network like all the childrens.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    I've just went to see Edge of Tomorrow. My advice : Go watch it ASAP !

Based on the trailer "wow nice scifi settings, but bleh Cruise is in it, probably gonna be another mindless blockbuster". I decided to go just to meet with friends, expecting a ok-ish or even mediocre film. I was dead wrong : It's AWESOME.

- I hate most Tom Cruise's films (exception : Vanilla Sky). In EoT he is not a badass hero, meaning he can actually act instead of just posing to show his pretty face. His character is believable, and he acts it well. For once, i have only good things to say about his performance.
    - I hate big budget movies that spend it on constant explosions (don't bring me to a Michael Bay movie). Here, the budget is big, but it's used to further the story rather than meet a "known landmarks exploded around the world" quota. The exo-suit and planes are all awesome, but the camera stay focused on the main characters, to tell their story rather than just make fireworks for the sake of fireworks.
    - I hate Hollywood cliche and tropes. Here they avoid most (but not all) of the most egregerious. There is an actual story, with good pacing, and believable characters.
    - I hate female second role that are just here to make the hero shine and fall in love. In EoT Emily Blunt isn't that. She is a badass soldier, but doesn't fall into the opposite trope of "badass female that is just a cliche male hero with boobs". She is playing an actually believable and well-thought out character.

In one sentence : Good characters, good story, good pacing, GO WATCH IT.
    Bit delayed but want to second all of this. Great film, they just need to go one step further and make Blunt the main protagonist next time and I'll be happy.

Also saw X-Men, was surprised how not shit it was. Went along at a decent pace, didn't have the bit that all the other superhero movies have where Manhattan or a city like it gets destroyed over an hour. Lots of fun and I didn't even get annoyed by the 3D (Blinks portal ability actually looked great with it). One other thing that surprised me was, though I was looking forward to seeing Stewart and Mckellen doing their thesp bromance thing again, I found myself missing McKavoy and Fassbender whenever they were gone.

Also, I hope they don't start testing for steroids and HGH in movies or else Hugh Jackman may have to retire. It's not right that I have to feel that inadequate looking at a 45 year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    How good is your grammar? What dialect of English do you speak?I helped GamesWithWords.org train their algorithm to guess which English I speak. It guessed that I speak Australian & that my native language is English. Which English do you speak? Take the quiz and
    That is all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    That is all.
    I tried it a couple of days ago, but the whole thing broke when I tried to get the results.

That aside, I have to say that I don't think it's a very good test for determining which English variety (or native language) one speaks. Way to simplified and adhering too much to prescriptive grammar norms which aren't really based on language usage...
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    I tried it a couple of days ago, but the whole thing broke when I tried to get the results.

That aside, I have to say that I don't think it's a very good test for determining which English variety (or native language) one speaks. Way to simplified and adhering too much to prescriptive grammar norms which aren't really based on language usage...
    Are you sure it was broken ? They say "calculating score..." like the page is gonna refresh, but actually you just have to click next once you filled out the personal questions

The results left me quite dumbfounded at first, because they thoughts my English was closer to "Singaporean English", "US black vernacular / Ebonics", and "American (standard)".

Most of my English comes from US newssources, podcasts, shows so i couldn't understand the Singapore suggestion. However, once I clicked on the "?", they explained that Singaporean English is very close to American Standard English.

So yeah, I'm definitely biased towards American English I knew it was easier for me to understand US accents than UK ones (which is why I sometime struggle with RPS accents) but i didn't know my grammar was also oriented towards American English.

For the "what was your first language ?" their guess is somewhat ok. They suggest Vietnamese (no idea why), but also Italian and Spanish, which are obviously very close guesses.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 07-06-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well it gave me "US Black Vernacular/Ebonics" as well. Although, to be fair the second was "English (England)". But then it also thought my mother tongue was Swedish (I guess that's you guys' influence).

I guess they are still gathering data, training it be more accurate.

edit: Seems like it is better able to guess your background if you don't answer correctly. Like, it's more the mistakes you make that give it away. But at the start they ask for both a 'gut reaction' to what is right and what you think is 'grammatically correct'. The two seem kind of different to me, might get better results if they just ask for what sounds alright, what sounds passable in day to day speech and not what you think is grammatically correct.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 07-06-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    Are you sure it was broken ? They say "calculating score..." like the page is gonna refresh, but actually you just have to click next once you filled out the personal questions
    Yep, since the whole thing turned white and I couldn't click anywhere. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    But at the start they ask for both a 'gut reaction' to what is right and what you think is 'grammatically correct'. The two seem kind of different to me, might get better results if they just ask for what sounds alright, what sounds passable in day to day speech and not what you think is grammatically correct.
    There are quite large differences between spoken and written speech as well, and they are mixing two distinct varieties in that instance. Not to mention basing the results purely on syntax...
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    It got me pretty well. English, Welsh, Scottish, in that order were its guesses. I'm English on my father's side and Welsh on my mother's side.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

So I know I've heard (I want to say it was Cooper, but I could be wrong..I haven't been able to connect voices to names yet) someone say they watched Orange Is the New Black, and I'm just wondering if anyone's started watching the new season yet? I think the wife and I are pretty much over halfway through. I'm not a tv person, but at the end of every episode I'm usually like "WHAAAAAAAAT!?!?" Certainly worth a watch or two if you haven't seen it! I'd just warn against it around parents. Or kids. Or anyone with an aversion to boobs or girls doing it. (Pff, really!?)
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    What if you have an aversion to "doing it" in general? D:
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    What if you have an aversion to "doing it" in general? D:
    Eh, nothing wrong with that! I used to work with a guy who had absolutely zero sex/interest drive. To each their own!
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

...Or anyone with an aversion to boobs or girls doing it. (Pff, really!?)
    Yes, and I'm sure that's why it's on my hubby's must watch list. I've seen a few eps and thought it quirky.. and amusing, I guess. We pull it off Netflix (I think they produce it) and the new season has just started, or will be very soon.

I like Archer, myself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    So I know I've heard (I want to say it was Cooper, but I could be wrong..I haven't been able to connect voices to names yet) someone say they watched Orange Is the New Black, and I'm just wondering if anyone's started watching the new season yet? I think the wife and I are pretty much over halfway through. I'm not a tv person, but at the end of every episode I'm usually like "WHAAAAAAAAT!?!?" Certainly worth a watch or two if you haven't seen it! I'd just warn against it around parents. Or kids. Or anyone with an aversion to boobs or girls doing it. (Pff, really!?)
    Although it probably wasn't me saying I watched it - I do in fact watch it! I'm two episodes in. Although the urge to forgot all responsibilities for the remaining 11 hours and eat nothing but cornflakes and take-out is pretty overwhelming.