Page 161 of 286 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 5715

Thread: Off-topic

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    Attachment 6185
    I'm not sure what this is trying to say..
    That all Canadian's are awesome and therefore no-one is worried about them standing behind them in the showers...
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Canada: Schools axe 'he' and 'she' in favour of 'xe'

In Sweden there has recently been a debate about and surge in the use of 'hen', the equivalent of 'xe', instead of 'han' and 'hon'.
    Seems like a good submission for http://www.reddit.com/r/nottheonion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Genderless pronous are brilliant, it is the best asshole detector on the planet.

Edit: As in assholes get extremely upset when someone uses a genderless pronoun like "hen" in Swedish.

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Apparently we are everything and nothing at the same time.. I often just use 'they' as a neutral term..theres already ways to express lack of gender that I think its kinda silly to come up with specific ones.
    Last edited by TWChristine; 28-06-2014 at 12:40 AM.
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Attachment 6185
    I'm not sure what this is trying to say..
    From now on I will put 'Canadian applicant' whenever something asks me for my gender.

Apparently we are everything and nothing at the same time.. I often just use 'they' as a neutral term..theres already ways to express lack of gender that I think its kinda silly to come up with specific ones.
    Very true, I often use 'they' and 'their' etc, not that anyone notices but I guess that's sort of the point.

Also I am sorry if I insulted any police officers when I made that comment the other day. Lots of you probably do just want to look out for the rest of us, and I really respect that. But all my experiences of the met police have involved them lying to my face. Apart from perhaps one who had been tasked to break up an anti-war demonstration in parlaiment square. But then the same day there was a red faced man screaming bloody murder and chasing teenagers down the street with his baton out.

Lesser Hivemind Node TWChristine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    From now on I will put 'Canadian applicant' whenever something asks me for my gender.
    That's the spirit!

Very true, I often use 'they' and 'their' etc, not that anyone notices but I guess that's sort of the point.
    I think I've only ever had one person pick up on the fact that I was using they/their and they seemed really confused until I explained. Even then I think they thought it was silly..ah well, just trying to do my best for others!

Also I am sorry if I insulted any police officers when I made that comment the other day. Lots of you probably do just want to look out for the rest of us, and I really respect that. But all my experiences of the met police have involved them lying to my face. Apart from perhaps one who had been tasked to break up an anti-war demonstration in parlaiment square. But then the same day there was a red faced man screaming bloody murder and chasing teenagers down the street with his baton out.
    *shrug* Honestly you get used to it. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. You're never there when people want you to be, and you're there when they wish you weren't! It's never their fault for their driving, it's yours...yea you get the idea! lol With that said, I do 100% agree that there are (unfortunately) a lot of times that police go overboard verbally and physically and I don't mean to ever make it sound like I'm being flippant about that, because it is NOT ok, and the officers should be punished for it, and also have those interactions tracked (which they are) but also kept on top of (which they aren't always..if you have someone repeatedly having complaints about excessive force, that needs to be looked into immediately). It's also difficult to just flip from one emotion to another at the drop of a hat; you're human and you do the best you can. As for lying to your face, if it's anything like N. American departments you're legally allowed to. Personally, I don't feel that is right in the run-of-the-mill interactions..people will be incredibly cooperative with you if they know that you're going to be honest and fair with them..however I do believe there are times, such as say violent criminal investigations where you need to lie to get the information you need as soon as possible to bring an end to whatever it is, quickly.

Anyway, that was a lot more than I intended to write, just was trying to say "no worries" to you if the above was directed at me (as I was the only one that really responded I believe?). Ah well, I'm not a po-po anymore anyway, so who cares!
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

I don't interact with police often. But when I do, they're unhelpful or just outright assholes. Which is odd, in general the police here have a good reputation.

EDIT: To be fair, there's been times where they were kind. But it seems like a minority of times.

Re: star citizen vs elite: ive had this discussion multiple times. Going for a quick playable vs planning out a gigantic endeavour cant be compared.

Look at maia. The first 50 builds were just tech demoes, and look at it now. Its slowly becoming one of the most interesting base or colony building sims around.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Canada: Schools axe 'he' and 'she' in favour of 'xe'

In Sweden there has recently been a debate about and surge in the use of 'hen', the equivalent of 'xe', instead of 'han' and 'hon'.
    In Scotland, "hen" is used for women, as in "are ye awright hen?"
    What is this coffee that you speak of...
    The War Princess. Z2.

Seems like we're going through the same phase for trans people as we did in the eighties and nineties when there was all that anxiety about whether calling black people black was racist. And much like that situation, I suspect that when we finally stop trying to work it out ourselves and just ask them what they want, they'll probably just say to call them whichever of the two genders they decided they were instead of xenu or whatever the fuck Canada is doing at the moment.
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I've found asking them can be considered the highest offence to onlookers. That being said, I'm sure there are more delicate ways to put it than "what are you?" but if the question wouldn't offend me it shouldn't offend anyone :P
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    I've found asking them can be considered the highest offence to onlookers.
    Because they get it all the time. Like all the time. And if you spend a huge amount of time and effort to appear a certain way, having some random passerby basically telling you to your face that it hasn't worked must be soul destroying (whether they intend the question to be hurtful or not).

And anyway, if someone goes out of their way to appear as a certain gender OBVIOUSLY THEY WANT TO BE REFERRED TO AS THAT GENDER. You'd think it wouldn't be hard to work that out.

Ah bollocks to it, if I see a trans person on the street I'll just cross the road as quickly as possible to avoid offending them. Though you'd think someone with the courage to actually come out and be that person in the first place would have a bit more thick skin.

Again, if they want to get together and agree on a term that's cool for everyone to use, I'm going with that consensus rather than what us cis/white/male/terrified of offending anyone types decide in their absence. In the meantime, I won't ask them and I will run away at the first sight of them since that's obviously the most PC thing to do given the circumstances.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Err did you get the impression anyone wasn't agreeing with you, Jag?

I've never seen a trans person. I was talking about online.

As for being hard to work out, there are a great many things I struggle to work out when it comes to social cues. I don't really understand people.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

Network Hub
    Spacechem is free here http://woobox.com/vriikh
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

Err did you get the impression anyone wasn't agreeing with you, Jag?
    I just like typing lots of words out. I wait for someone to type some words, then I have a guess at what they may have said based on how many paragraphs there are and crap out a response. You're lucky I'm even typing real words

Most of the time calling people by their names is fairly easy, and if you're not a cunt about it i generally find people will tell you what there preferred way to be referred to is if its not obvious.

My biggest issue is that it's obvious if you switch to calling someone by their name (and what if their name changes? I've a few people who have added and interact with me with multiple facebook accounts, Krys/William and Natalie/Oscar, what to do then?). One of the streamers I watch came out as trans last week, and I've already been called out a few times for switching from "he" to "Elf." Not by the streamer theirself, if anything we get along better because the coming out prompted a bit of soul searching among the viewers as well, but the other viewers seem to take offence for them.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

I had a trans friend in Uni, who thankfully had a fairly gender neutral name, as a group we just used his name a lot until he decided we were mangling our sentences too much and so calmly told us to use male pronouns since that's what he was. Easy.

It's people who are upset by being pinned as one gender or another, "gender is a spectrum", that make a fuss. You need a pronoun for languge to work. Pick one or make a new one up - but if you pick one that isn't obvious or you make one up then you have to stop being so uptight when strangers misuse it - educate and the misuse will stop, get all huffy and people will stop coming to your parties.