Page 26 of 205 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-topic

kids are scared of me because Im big and beardy and dont give a shit what they think.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    kids are scared of me because Im big and beardy and dont give a shit what they think.
    kids love me because i am nice and have black hair...
    when i was blond they cried! seriously!! (i am referring to babysize-kids...)
    You need me again, sweet lips?
    Be my friend on Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Kids is a funny topic. Its easy to have a bad experience with them, but its just as easy to have a good experience.. They are so varied that its difficult for either side of an argument to be able to say "kids are great" or "kids are horrible". Its definitely down to the particular child. Thing is, people try and poke blame into certain areas.. but really it can be down to the parents, but equally down to the childs personality.

That said, I have four nephews and a niece and they are all pretty great kids, so im pretty lucky I think. They can occasionally get a bit loud, but I can hardly hate them for that, because all kids are loud, and we were all kids once :P.

The great thing is that once they get past the potentially annoying bit (generally the bit in between cute baby and older child), it totally makes it ok for me to relive my childhood.

I get to sit and play with Lego with them and stuff.. so thats awesome.

Mind you, having my own kids is an entirely different thing. Im not sure when or if ill ever feel ready! :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Best thing about being an uncle is filling nephews full of sugar and then giving them back to their parents.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Best thing about being an uncle is filling nephews full of sugar and then giving them back to their parents.
    One of the great things about being a grandparent is being able to hand the squalling little bundle back to mommy or daddy instead of having to deal with him yourself

Kinda off-topic, but still PS2 and still RPS.

Last edited by zekone; 22-04-2013 at 12:56 AM.

luckily as cleared up by QI, sugar has no adverse effect on kids. its a myth.

(its the parents thaz have an adverse effect if you tell them their kids have been eating sugar)

if youre pleasing everyone, you are doing life wrong.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Unless you count getting fat and losing all your teeth as having an effect.

Sugar isnt that bad for your teeth as many claim. Starch from potato crisps or potatoes in general is much MUCH worse as it just sticks to your teeth and is sugar in a very concentrated form. Sugar simply gets washed out by drinking anything, really.

Also note that for whatever reason, the nerves in your teeth and mouth are connected to your heart. So if you fuck up your teeth, its highly probably youll have heart problems along the way. A tooth infection hidden behind a bridge almost killed sean connery, by the way. (only a few years ago)

Also note again: kids are supposed to lose their teeth. They grow back. Heck, even "grown up teeth" have been known to grown back sometimes.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    My dentist friend says dried fruit, especially raisins apparently, are among the worst things for your teeth, because they are very sugary and sticky.

luckily as cleared up by QI, sugar has no adverse effect on kids. its a myth.
    You have a source for this, btw? Not doubting your word in any way, but we had a discussion about just this topic a couple of days ago, and I'd be interested in reading about it.

hm. I dont quite know where they have their sources. It was in the food episode of QI, you can find it on youtube.

But from my experience, I agree. Its the parents that react to kids eating sugar more than anything else. I can attest that Ive eaten sugar many many times as a kid, too much even, and I wasnt hyper. And if I was hyper, it was because of something else entirely.

Ive seen the same in my kids. But then again, eye of the beholder, eh?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

There's this one kid at the Scouts who whenever he eats sugar he bounces around. Claims sugar doesn't make him hyper, but it clearly does. But then again, he likes to sneak in the kitchen and eat like 8 sugar cubes at a time.

well thats the thing you see, its a trained effect. if everyone tells you that sugar makes you something, then you start exhibiting signs of that something. thats psychology, not chemistry. Which is the point QI was trying to make.

note: what Im saying is not metaphysical or somesuch, it really is proven that the "placebo" effect works. To a certain degree, of course. But something like sugar rush can be "trained". (even though not intentionally)

Note2: this doesnt work with behaviour changing drugs, of course.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    There's this one kid at the Scouts who whenever he eats sugar he bounces around. Claims sugar doesn't make him hyper, but it clearly does. But then again, he likes to sneak in the kitchen and eat like 8 sugar cubes at a time.
    I'm quite positive, that it's a placebo effect.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Okay, what is QI, though?

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Okay, what is QI, though?
    It's a sort of comedy quiz show, based around questions about obscure facts. Panellists are marked down for giving the obvious or cliched answer (which is always the factually incorrect answer).

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    I'm quite positive, that it's a placebo effect.
    Might be. However, that's beside the point. Whether it's the actual sugar or the idea of sugar making him hyper doesn't matter, he's hyper. Every time, without prompting.

Ok, if you're talking about children an teeth, look at what a human skull looks like before our baby teeth drop out: Link

a show with the simple goal of being quite interesting. lead by stephen fry.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Ooh, I love me some Stephen Fry!

Hm, that sounded better in my head...