Page 3 of 178 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-topic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laldy View Post
    Dick Dale and the Deltones: Misirlou
    Little known thing: Dick Dale recorded the soundtrack to Rocket Jockey, an obscure old mid 90s PC game in which you ride rockets around an arena, which you steer with grappling hooks, in a series of events in which you either need to knock a giant hockey puck into an opponent's goal, or knock all your opponents off their rockets and then brutalise them in a variety of ways, such as dragging them behind your rocket or simply crashing into them at top speed.

I could never get it to work on anything but my windows 98 PC, with a CD I bought six or seven years back. But let me just repeat:

Game about riding giant rockets with no brakes, which you steer using grappling hooks, which you can also use to attack your enemies.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 03-03-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    This was a pretty/funny video:

I can't help it. But sometimes I feel like this when we are playing, and love every second of it!

NnCd70o.jpg

Original:
    You need me again, sweet lips?
    Be my friend on Steam

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    The giraffe camo helps, I also got some but ugly camo from the nvidia pack thing that I should try out more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    You should have seen us yesterday, Moxxi. We were rockin' da house!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hey guys, havent been around the last few days due to a ear infection. I'll be back though.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    You should have seen us yesterday, Moxxi. We were rockin' da house!
    Awesome! I think we should make a musicvid to some awesome house. it is a shame that you can't dance like in WoW
    /dance, the best command ever!

Hey guys, haven't been around the last few days due to a ear infection. I'll be back though.
    Oooooh... That's painful and horrible... :/
    Be my friend on Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    So I started playing Dark Souls.

First go, shortly after the undead burg starts, some hacker prick invaded and cursed me. Straight down to 1/2 health before my first proper boss. After determining that no cure would be coming up for a long time I rerolled.

Second go, rerolled and got a bit further. Got past the asylum demon and carried on under the dragon bridge thinking where's the bonfire? Got to that part with the boar, fucked up where the archers are and died. 4000 souls just sat above the boar. So I go back all the way from undead burg again, this time I grab the souls and immediately fall off towards the boar. I panick and start legging it on not much health with no flask left. Just as I start to run some text appears on my screen;

D4rk Ph4ntom has invaded your game

Just what I needed. Wonder if its a hacker? I run down towards the gate and the boar finds the chase tedious all of a sudden and goes in the other direction. Ahead of me is a red humanoid with a giant head.

Great. Definitely a hacker. I run past him towards solaire or whatever his name is and try to hide. He tracks me down immediately and I think fuck it. I bow as if to say do your worst. He drops a battle axe, I figure he's just buttering me up but I pick it up and bow again anyway. maybe this sociopath will leave me alone if I don't strike first. Much to my surprise he doesn't attack but beckons me. I follow him, he eventually leads me to the bonfire I was looking for, points at it and leaves.

TLDR: Despite, or maybe even because of hackers, Dark Souls is one of the most engrossing, amazing games I've played in years. It may even pull me away from PS2 for a while.

Network Hub
    I was under the impression that invading other players sessions is a normal game mechanic in Dark Souls.

Sorry I should probably be more clear. Both guys had appearances that can't be achieved legitimately, the first guy I couldn't even hit let alone damage. And I might be wrong but can players curse each other that early in or even at all?

I'd prefer to think of it as hacking than consider that an already brutal game would let players just arbitrarily break each others already very breakable games. My impression of the design of the game is that its brutal but never unfair. This contradicts it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    So I started playing Dark Souls.
    First, 4k souls is not that much. Come back when you do a Wardancer and jump off a cliff when you just died and looses 40k souls...
    Second, were u talking about the onionknights? Bighead? Probably an onionhelmet...
    Be my friend on Steam

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Dark souls (and demon's, for that matter) is probably my favourite game from the last couple of years. Utterly engrossing and always somewhere between rage-enducing and rage-inducingly brilliant. While the online part can be annoying, it can also result in some pretty intense action. If you keep seeing hackers, just doing go human though. Anyway, good luck ... and remember that souls are plentiful! Don't stress about them too much and you'll have a great time.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Sorry I should probably be more clear. Both guys had appearances that can't be achieved legitimately, the first guy I couldn't even hit let alone damage. And I might be wrong but can players curse each other that early in or even at all?

I'd prefer to think of it as hacking than consider that an already brutal game would let players just arbitrarily break each others already very breakable games. My impression of the design of the game is that its brutal but never unfair. This contradicts it completely.
    Well there are a few places that are not really fair and just needlessly stupid. As for getting curse weapons early? Well there are players that basically try to stay as low level as possible while getting the best gear possible just to get more of a challenge from the game and to gank newbies.

That's annoying that you can even get curse weapons, didn't know that. Ah well, I've been hollowed for ages now so haven't had many problems since then. Game has really got its hooks in now, finally went back and beat the optional knight with the dfp ring. After I figured it out I did wonder why he was upsetting me so much before.

The only fight I've skipped since then is that headless prick with the lightning. This is because no matter where I hit him I hardly do damage. All the hints say magic, so I'm shit out of luck because I'm a warrior and the nearest thing I have to magic is this thing that lets me put fire on my sword. Any ideas or do I just either have to whittle him down and hope for the best or just wait til I'm more powerful and go back? Also in the wood type zone with the little trees that attack you, theres a bit where theres a load of ice guys and messages saying bonfire but I can't find it. Where do I need to go for that?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    the headless prick is pretty easy if you use a ranged weapon (magic not really necessary. a bow and a lot of arrows will do). also, the bonfire is well hidden! look next to the special (locked) door that glows.

I've started playing it again recently after a hiatus, love it so much. It's great how disciplined it forces you to be as a fighter. This is all the more apparent when you come back after a break and get annihilated constantly! Very ragey game, but in a good way.

I rerolled as a wanderer, the one with the scimitar, and did the headless lightning thing earlier. I worked out a pretty sound tactic - he's missing his left leg, aim for the stump where it was. It's not a weak point as such, but most of his attacks come from left to right as your looking at him so its a little bit less dangerous. He struggles to hit you if you tuck right in and follow him round as he's trying to face you. You mightve noticed his tail swings when he attacks, but it only swings round to the left so that won't affect you either.

So, after he's done his jump attack or lightning bolt, leg it to the stump and chop away. It takes time, but as long as you're patient with it and know when to run in and out you'll crack it. You get a chunk of demon titanite when he topples.

I only used ranged anything on an enemy once and it wasn't nearly as satisfying, almost felt like cheating. I chucked a load of firebombs at the asylum demon then went in to melee the other half of his health.

I have a couple of crossbows but never find any bolts. I presume I can buy from the blacksmith? Is there any way to sell gear or should I just drop the crap I don't need? Starting to fill up a bit.

The ones that I'm struggling with today are the bell tower gargoyles - one is fine but two takes the piss! I take it you just have to kill the first one as quick as possible before you get overwhelmed...are there any weak spots / tactics worth knowing with these?

I've only seen dopefish doing that. He got the shit kicked out of him until he summoned a player then it was almost too easy. Other than that I have zero advice.

I did it with my first character but I had to use the gold ember resin that covers your weapon in lightning, that destroys them. Haven't picked up any of that yet on this play through.