Page 44 of 269 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-topic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    I've no idea.

On a completely unrelated note, would you like to watch Miami Connection with me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Party like its 1999 with Jerry Jackson

http://www.fat-pie.com/supermario.htm
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Contact is awesome.
    Yeah, some of the songs dont do it for me, but this one is awesome and a couple of others are pretty good. The album on the whole is pretty relaxed, but I seem to like specific segments rather than the whole songs.. Dont get me wrong, some parts are awesome.
    Quite like doin it rights chorus. The intro to give life back to music is pretty damn cool. Part of instant crush is good from like 1:25. That bit in giorgio by moroder which is like 5:50 minutes in. Wasnt really a fan of the pharell ones, though I like the bits of get lucky that dont have him in it :P.

I think its definitely one which will grow on me with time, but I cant help but feel like I want more of the really good parts from the songs I mentioned.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 20-05-2013 at 05:13 AM.

I didn't post this before as I was sure someone already did here but it was actually reddit where I, er, saw it.

i think it's since been blocked at least in uk on bullshit grounds. Perhaps it will be changed when the album drops proper.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    By Vanu this album is incredible. https://play.spotify.com/track/0oks4FnzhNp5QPTZtoet7c
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

I'm not 100% sold yet. I like moroder, though could happily live without its first 4 minutes. Daft punk songs have always had the problem of 3 minute ideas spread over 6 or more minutes, like the Tarantino of music.

The robot voice thing made a lot more sense when they were making perky dance music, the ballads that feature it just don't work for me. If you can't sing, put the vocoder down and get another collaborator in. I got a lot of flashbacks to kanyes 808s and heartbreak with those speak and spell ballads, say what you want about those pharrell songs - I'm no fan but his voice is his voice.

The first song sets the pattern, awesome intro/build up then daft punk almost seem annoyed that they had to make a song around it and kind of phoned it in. At first I thought that might be getting lazy in old age but listening to everything from discovery onwards they've always done that. I give them a pass for homework that was the standard in dance back then. Aerodynamic is 3 and a half minutes but once you get past the admittedly awesome guitar riff it feels double its length because nothing else happens.

I almost feel like there's two daft punks and have been all along. The idealised version in our heads which is nothing but cool riffs and space helmets, and the real thing which have never truly realised their potential. In fact, this new album is making me wonder if they actually matured with the tron soundtrack or if that was great because someone with Disney stood there with a big stick making sure they never got too self indulgent.

Just so I'm not coming off like a miserable old git, get lucky has really grown on me (radio edit, 6 minute album version can fuck right off), touch is lovely and I don't even mind that its 8 minutes and contact is great if you allow it to be. Given that get lucky took a while, I may just need to listen to the whole thing a few more times.

It probably also doesn't help that while daft punk were away, justice showed up and made cross, the best daft punk album never made. If justice didn't bollocks their second album up so much I'd probably be even less charitable.

I still love my Discovery CD, 10 years later (listened to it yesterday in fact).

But Random Access Memories doesn't do it for me. It's random, that's for sure, but it's not good. There are a few hints of what could have been, but there is never a track that I wanna dance/sing along from beginning to end like on Discovery. Nothing stick to my mind, nothing makes me move.

On the other hand, the new Anamanaguchi album (which just came out) is pure chiptune awesomeness and I love the first video

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You should all just listen to Clutch. They've never released a bad album*

*Personal opinions may differ
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    I'm not 100% sold yet. I like moroder, though could happily live without its first 4 minutes. Daft punk songs have always had the problem of 3 minute ideas spread over 6 or more minutes, like the Tarantino of music.

The robot voice thing made a lot more sense when they were making perky dance music, the ballads that feature it just don't work for me. If you can't sing, put the vocoder down and get another collaborator in. I got a lot of flashbacks to kanyes 808s and heartbreak with those speak and spell ballads, say what you want about those pharrell songs - I'm no fan but his voice is his voice.

The first song sets the pattern, awesome intro/build up then daft punk almost seem annoyed that they had to make a song around it and kind of phoned it in. At first I thought that might be getting lazy in old age but listening to everything from discovery onwards they've always done that. I give them a pass for homework that was the standard in dance back then. Aerodynamic is 3 and a half minutes but once you get past the admittedly awesome guitar riff it feels double its length because nothing else happens.

I almost feel like there's two daft punks and have been all along. The idealised version in our heads which is nothing but cool riffs and space helmets, and the real thing which have never truly realised their potential. In fact, this new album is making me wonder if they actually matured with the tron soundtrack or if that was great because someone with Disney stood there with a big stick making sure they never got too self indulgent.

Just so I'm not coming off like a miserable old git, get lucky has really grown on me (radio edit, 6 minute album version can fuck right off), touch is lovely and I don't even mind that its 8 minutes and contact is great if you allow it to be. Given that get lucky took a while, I may just need to listen to the whole thing a few more times.
    I agree with most of this actually. Youve put into words what I found quite difficult to describe.

There are sections of songs that are really good, and specific beats and riffs that are pretty damn cool, but most of them are mixed into otherwise slow and plodding tracks. It has grown on me listening to it over the past couple days, and its good for general background noise, but I do feel like I want more of the up tempo stuff.

I feel as if there is just about the right amount of awesome beats in there to make up one or two fucking amazing tracks, but that they spaced the good stuff over all of the tracks.

Here is my run down of largely irrelevant opinion :

-Intro to Give life back to music is awesome, but the bits in between are so so.
    -Game of love is a bit dull and repetetive
    -Giorgio by moroder is alright, but the best bit in the song is the drumming bit near to the end after around 6 mins.
    -Within is actually quite listenable, but id rather listen to the tune like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Y1NHB_FgU
    -Instant crush is probably the most memorable for me, and seems to be the one with the beat thats stuck in my head.
    -Lose yourself to dance is another listenable tune, but has many of the same problems as get lucky (too much/any pharell).
    -I like touch but its far too long.
    -Get lucky had too much pharell and not enough robots. I really like the ending with the robots in this track.
    -Beyond is alright, theres not much more to say on this.. just alright.
    -Motherboard is alright, but it sounds more like the instrumental stuff that should be in the background of a movie a la tron.
    -Fragments of time is pleasant to listen to, not bad at all.
    -Doin it right I quite like too, though I probably couldnt listen to it over and over.
    -Contact is cool. I like the intro and the concept, but the ending gets a little annoying with just that screeching.

Overall, its a good listen, though I do feel like I wanted more. Something a bit more up tempo, that makes you feel as awesome as you want to believe daft punk can produce.

Ksempac, really? You weren't tempted to skip the second half of aerodynamic, or the whole of high life? Verdis quo? Don't get me wrong, in 2001 I was all over that album but I was also 18. It's not aged brilliantly IMO. It's like a supernova, burned very brightly but also quickly.

Thinking of other acts at the time, I'd say dig your own hole by the chemical brothers ('97!) has aged better and is listenable beyond its own terms. They're a good act to compare with their career trajectory too, what with the brothers recently doing the hannah film score.

I will say though, good shout on anamaguchi! Didn't know they had new stuff out. Will give that a listen when I'm back at an actual pc.

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    I agree with most of this actually. Youve put into words what I found quite difficult to describe.

There are sections of songs that are really good, and specific beats and riffs that are pretty damn cool, but most of them are mixed into otherwise slow and plodding tracks. It has grown on me listening to it over the past couple days, and its good for general background noise, but I do feel like I want more of the up tempo stuff.

I feel as if there is just about the right amount of awesome beats in there to make up one or two fucking amazing tracks, but that they spaced the good stuff over all of the tracks.

Here is my run down of largely irrelevant opinion :

-Intro to Give life back to music is awesome, but the bits in between are so so.
    -Game of love is a bit dull and repetetive
    -Giorgio by moroder is alright, but the best bit in the song is the drumming bit near to the end after around 6 mins.
    -Within is actually quite listenable, but id rather listen to the tune like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Y1NHB_FgU
    -Instant crush is probably the most memorable for me, and seems to be the one with the beat thats stuck in my head.
    -Lose yourself to dance is another listenable tune, but has many of the same problems as get lucky (too much/any pharell).
    -I like touch but its far too long.
    -Get lucky had too much pharell and not enough robots. I really like the ending with the robots in this track.
    -Beyond is alright, theres not much more to say on this.. just alright.
    -Motherboard is alright, but it sounds more like the instrumental stuff that should be in the background of a movie a la tron.
    -Fragments of time is pleasant to listen to, not bad at all.
    -Doin it right I quite like too, though I probably couldnt listen to it over and over.
    -Contact is cool. I like the intro and the concept, but the ending gets a little annoying with just that screeching.

Overall, its a good listen, though I do feel like I wanted more. Something a bit more up tempo, that makes you feel as awesome as you want to believe daft punk can produce.

Save a few minor differences I think we're on the same level. I'm glad some people are enjoying it (though having heard moroder I think quanta cat secretly did the voice over at the start so maybe he has bias) but I think I'm too annoyed that daft punk grew up to get it yet.

Although this is from a rabid radiohead fan who HATED everything on kid A when it came out but now loves everything except the indefensible abstract instrumental about halfway through. It's probably a good sign that I have to earn the albums respect before I'm allowed to get it.

actually, I think Moroder is best from 1:40 till about 4. I like it because I thought they were going to do another dance thing, but instead they did a 70s nostalgia album.

Much like.

I come from a jazz background of sorts, so I instantly like jazz bits more.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Fair enough. Incidentally what did you think of cross by justice? I loved it at face value from the start but realising the whole thing was a love letter to disco blew my mind. Being a child of the eighties, that obviously resonated more to me than the funk/jazz going on with the punk boys but wondered what your take was on it.

Also I know you didn't do the voice on that song really. I've said this before but with your accent and film making background, its obvious that you are a badly disguised Werner Herzog. I can't wait for your documentary about Internet nerd games that's inevitably headed to DVD and Netflix.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=oZFP5...%3DoZFP5HfJPTY

In case you're unsure that's totally a compliment. Id listen to that guy read a book of fatboyslim lyrics.
    Last edited by jaguar skills; 21-05-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Also I know you didn't do the voice on that song really. I've said this before but with your accent and film making background, its obvious that you are a badly disguised Werner Herzog. I can't wait for your documentary about Internet nerd games that's inevitably headed to DVD and Netflix.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHH9eiiCTrE

This is a film I did in 2009, starring me, using only photos and bad compositing.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

That was a very enjoyable watch, I particularly liked the watch/needle/eye salesman. I don't know how funny the original delivery was in deutsch but in my head in English I fuckin owned it.

Question though, I may be wrong but they didn't look like photos to me. It looked like you lit it to film it, then you filmed it and took stills to make the piece. What was the reasoning behind doing it that way? Just a stylistic/artistic decision or did you just want to hone your story boarding?

They were photos, though. Just photos with proper lighting and depth of field. The reasoning was:
    1) it was based on a comic script anyway.
    2) less work for the models
    3) we could use models instead of actors. the voice actors are partially different from the actual models.
    4) we could do more stealth illegal filming.
    5) style.
    6) easier to post produce.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Not sure if people saw this. I'm guessing it was a part of the Eurovision spectacle, but I'm not sure since I didn't watch it. I'd like to share it anyway.

Yeah I definitely got a comic vibe, even more so given I had to read it. Surprised to hear that they're photo photos though. There's blurring on certain action shots which I figured would be from a lower frame rate still rather than a longer exposure, was that intentional too?

Incidentally, my interpretation of the same story would be a lot shorter.

"my aunt wanted a glass eye. I told her a black eyepatch looks badass, you're not dropping that look. I then got some tippex and painted a skull and crossbones on it."

FIN

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Not sure if people saw this. I'm guessing it was a part of the Eurovision spectacle, but I'm not sure since I didn't watch it. I'd like to share it anyway.

i hadn't seen that, glad you shared though it was great. It's funny how many of those things you could substitute the word Swedish for British, especially the rowdy abroad thing. One thing that was in Eurovision and was probably shared even more was the musical montage which includes a now infamous line about men's titties.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=29tZA...%3D29tZAqJKtxs