Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Call for moderator suggestions

Hey people, I know we had this talk in the past at least once, but recent events have rekindled my desire to get this sorted out.

Since this subforum is growing larger and larger and more people are joining our guild on a nearly weekly basis (so much that we might have to come up with a solution for that too, soon), I think that it would be very helpful to have means to clear the place up a bit. A couple of threads could use a sticky, especially those that contain relevant information for newcomers as well as people who already have been in the guild for a while.

Therefore, I am planning to ask Jim to grant moderator rights to a few people for these subforums, like the PlanetSide2 guys have done. What we need for that are two things: 1. A sufficient amount of people that express their desire to get such moderation for the Guild Wars 2 subforum and 2. suggestions / volunteers for the job.

So please, speak your mind on the matter.

I second the motion, and call for a squirrel mod, or hawks. Maybe a form of hawksquirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Karuji View Post
    I second the motion, and call for a squirrel mod, or hawks. Maybe a form of hawksquirrel?
    I would suggest (in no particular order) hawksbane, jha4ceb, noaru, Malawi, as I see them frequently posting here. Also, I recall that noaru once offered to give a helping hand with organisiational when needed.

Edit: Of course, I would find most of the frequent board members suitable for the job.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    I'm happy to moderate. I would also suggest Krathor (since I understand his current absence is down to lack of internet connection, so hopefully he'll be back in the fold soon).
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    I was actually surprised to learn that we do not have more moderators for this forum. I believe this is an absolute must and I agree some of those threads are getting quite long and maybe some additional subsection and a rule of closing threads after a certain time would be a good idea. Sticky is a no brainer.

I have moderated forums before and I am happy to help if needed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    I'm happy to do a moderate amount of moderating, my first call would be for a working calendar.
    Probably a bit unfair to ask Squirrel to do it; since he's so busy with Kingship
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

note: no more subsections are possible. you have reached the deep end.

note 2: itll probably only be three people.

note 3: mods are coming for sure.

note 4: cue entry of the jim.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Cheers QuantaCat, and apologies for selfishly stealing the idea from you guys. I'll probably contact Jim as soon as there has been a consensus on who should take over the modding duties.

For the record: I would be up for doing it myself as well, but apparently we are not running low on applications, so I'd step back in favour of someone else.

That's a great idea, I actually wanted a couple of times to suggest getting permissions for making them posts sticky, but I don't have a good excuse for not speaking my mind. Oh well.

Oh and I'll be happy to help with moderating.

PS Good ideas absolutely have to be stolen.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    note: no more subsections are possible. you have reached the deep end.
    Right so we need to be clever with thread merging and thread closing.

Maybe have the following main threads going (in no particular order):
    Guild Contribution
    Guild Events
    WvW
    PVP
    Dungeons/Fractals
    Anything else

Also the calendar is great in the meantime maybe use a Google one?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    One of the top stickies should be "upcoming events": listing our planned guild missions, wvw events, etc. (Additional note: we should plan established regular nights to expect guild missions. We've defaulted to Wednesday and Saturday for missions, but we could do with making this an "official" schedule).
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Network Hub
    I'd also just voice my agreement for a moderator, if such signals are still needed. And better well stolen then badly thought off.

Network Hub
    I would recommend using the Rock Paper Signet Steam group calendar for any announcements, event scheduling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    except I don't have a steam account, and I'm probably not the only one.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

L0l vvhy U nut pr0 4nd git Zt34m @ccunt? I'll sort it out, promised, I just need to find the time to do it. Soon!

We should keep it simple: sticky the important threads (future events, information for newcomers) and let the rest of the stuff flow (like General nonsense, Dungeonmaster, sPVP etc). We need to get our hands on a couple old thread that people seem to be finding through Google or something and close them, but otherwise I don't think we need to make it any more complicated.

I'd prefer having one new thread for each event - even guild missions, unless we decide to have them (proper)regularly and we can just get away with 1 thread on top.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Yeah, that's the plan. Sticky the threads that contain general information, like Introductions, GH community, etc. . Set up one new post with relevant information for the GW2 mumble and general rules, sticky and close that one. Most other stuff can flow freely, as noaru mentioned. I don't want to have 5+ sticky threads blocking everything up. If possible, I want an event calendar to have the regular events sorted.

I agree to that.

The reason why I make a separate thread for every one of our events is because it's clear and also actually makes our guild look like we're doing something (which we are!). However, I would not want those threads to push down the more important things (like the guild sign-up thread) so I'm all for stickies!
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Update: I have mailed Jim, text as follows:

"Dear Jim,

on behalf of the RPS Guild Wars 2 community, I write to you with a request that has been on our minds for a while now. Several months after the release of the game and the creation of the RPS GW2 guild, our community is still going strong and growing every week.

Right now, we are beginning to struggle to deal with the maximum number of guild memberships allowed in the game and lots of players log in every day to play alongside the bunch of excellent people that got attracted to the game via your very own website. Many thanks for allowing us to have a seperate sub-forum just for ourselves, it makes organising things that much easier and allows new people to quickly find their way around.

However, at the same time, the huge amount of guild related activities has also resulted in an increase in communication on the forums (which is great!), leading to a multitude of different threads containing even larger amounts of useful information about every possible aspect of the game. Therefore, things are beginning to get cluttered and confusing.

One solution we see for this would be the creation of a couple of centralised sticky threads that can be updated with new information, the merging of duplicate threads, and overall a more direct way of keeping discussions and information from going all over the place.

To get to the point: Could we please get a moderator for our sub-forum to help us keep things organised, to help new players find important information without having to look through all the different threads for details on things like Mumble usage, the Gunnar's Hold server community, guild events, whom-to-ask knowledge, and all the other topics that have been discussed over the course of the last half year.

If this is a possibility, we have a couple of volunteers that would be up for the task. You can find suggestions for candidates and general opinions on the matter in the following thread:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...or-suggestions

Many thanks in advance for considering our request.

Best wishes
    squirrelfanatic (head janitor of the RPS GW2 guild)

P.S.: Is there any possibility to get additional forum calendars set up? A GW2 guild event calendar would be the best thing since custard cream biscuits.
    "

you are getting your mods this week.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."