Network Hub

First very satisfying baby steps

I'm a fresh recruit not just into GW2 but MMOs in general.

I've done my fair bit of RPG in the past so elves and ponycorns and all I'm used to.

I have to say though that I'm really enjoying my time with GW2. I've discovered how exploration is really my primary driver at the moment. Since I mostly work alone being such low level (Huani - Lvl 11 Sylvani Ranger), and because the world is so damn pretty even at medium settings (sadly my ageing rig can't handle high settings), I just feel compelled to discover every nook and cranny on the map.

Yesterday was a really nice moment. I was walking around the western parts of Caledon forest when I spotted some boulders covered by some fern. I jumped up.... squeezed through the mouth of what looked like a cave... and stumbled on a lava vista with a bunch of Asura golems hanging around. There seemed to be puzzle there that I couldn't figure out. But I was really chuffed!

To Explore!

Anywhoo, I am getting my ass kicked a lot as I stumble on mobs and I really have to thank the fellow guild members who were kind enough to tag along and help me push through the tough fights.

There are still a ton of things I don't get in GW2 (Crafting? Combat where I actually know what I'm doing?) but hopefully in time these mysteries will be revealed.

I'm always looking for companionship in my travels, so when you see me on guild chat don't hesitate to join me.

To explore!
    -E
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

Hey Easy, I saw you in guild chat yesterday and felt really bad for not coming around. This game is great, even when played solo, but it is so much better with a few friends tagging along. If you go exploring during the weekend, I'll gladly join you!

That's the spirit! All zones have some hidden gems which are usually jumping puzzles (meaning you have some platforming to do, with a chest full of loot and an achievement to reward you at the end).

I'll join you next time you're out and about.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Hey, another noobie! I agree, exploration seems to be the game's strong point, at least early on.

Crafting is, so far, pretty standard (compared to WoW, Rift and so on), and seems very optional. The items aren't much better than what you can buy with karma. Might be different at high levels?

I might tag along for some exploration if you're playing during the weekend. Especially if I can find my way to... eh... Sylvaristan?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Crafting is very much optional. It's useful for leveling alts (will give 10 levels worth of experience for each full crafting profession 1-400). Also, you can save some money by crafting top level exotic armor rather than buying it -- but you won't make much by selling it on.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

If you factor in the costs for getting to level 400 in armorsmithing, you really won't save any money. But crafting can be fun, especially if you like experimenting with discoveries. Just be advised that it can be a pretty expensive hobby.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Well, it depends how many heavy armor characters you're going to level! You could potentially save one gold for each crafted piece. So even if you're levelling only two heavy armor characters, you'd save money by crafting.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

I would say get your materials, find your local friendly guildie with 400 whatsitcalledsmithing and profit.

I'd only level cooking, artificing or jewelcrafting with a guide for the 10 levels on an alt once you have some money.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.