Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Still unsure about the actual head shape though. Maybe thicken out the end of the snout a bit more and see how that looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    The giraffe silhouette I originally drew is crazy rough, for the actual logo I would be happy to draw one up properly.

I feel there's little danger of us being mistaken for a US sports team. [...] they also clearly emote characteristics. Which is sometimes, what a logo is all about.
    One of the characteristics that they all definitely communicate is American Football Team (or US sports team in general). I realise that we won't be confused for one, but we would be putting American Football Team as part of our image. Don't think that sort of sweaty macho competitive atmosphere is something we want to go for - perhaps what Cooper was getting at.

I do agree with you about wanting to try out more ideas tho, I previously posted about wanting to introduce some more structure, so we can properly explore a range of ideas before creating anything at all polished. Think we should stay away from talking any specific details (specific shades of colours, bevelled edges, minor tweaks, tongues etc) until we are ready to produce the final logo, since it's a waste of time/effort. That said, we have been at this for a while, not sure how much patience everyone has. Perhaps a quick call for entries, week long maybe, then finalise the ideas?

On a similar note, I still want to try making a Vanu-symbol-logo look like a giraffe. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I would love to try new ideas, but we need people (especially those who've not posted much thus far) to start knocking them out more often. For example, I'd love to see MitchK's early suggestion with the eclipse worked on.

We either need to keep colectively working this through as we have been, or start something more formal. The main reason I've not gone ahead and written a design brief / asked for submissions and got more formal about it is that we seem to lack many people who would actually submit something along those lines.

@Nick. That image you linked. Before all the other adjectives you mention it just screamed "NFL" to me. I'm not even sure if it is an American Football logo. It might not be. But that's by far the over-riding impression that style gives.

For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Yeah. Just thought i would throw the "animated" style out there, for reasons i've already made clear.

Like i said, it's no big deal to me either way.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Yeah. Just thought i would throw the "animated" style out there, for reasons i've already made clear.

Like i said, it's no big deal to me either way.
    if we're talking animated I can see what my buddy at work could throw together. an example of his drawings:

Link as the file is too big for forums.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Im fairly happy with where it was going.

Rizlar, I actually really like your current giraffe head.. the proportions seem just right to me to convey some silliness but also represent a giraffe. The smooth lines and natural angle of the neck seem perfect to me... I dont think it needs to be messed with, it just needed to lose the tongue, which it has now. The camo on the back is also great as is.

I dont know what I think about the grittier look idea either.

I think as far as logo goes, they are meant to be simple nick, because they are supposed to convey the idea of an organisation or team with as little understanding needed as possible... To me, we stand out for being both vanu, and giraffes. I think the colour and image represents that amazingly... The last few that cooper worked on were really nice. The texture and colours were almost perfect... only the BG colour needed to be fiddled with. We need to keep it simple.

Im more than happy to see more ideas, but much more of this and we will just be going in circles with ideas. We should stick with something for now and see how it works for us given that we are still small media wise (people arent going to immediately recognise us anyway).

Theres nothing to say we cant switch it up later on, or even periodically, but I think the actual design is fine (i.e. the logo style... background, green sphere and sideways head/camo back). The actual style can be tweaked later on and still maintain this nice clean and crisp design.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Going back to the youtube theme a minute, given that I haven't really done any videos this week I've occupied myself with doing up my channel. Don't know if everyone knows but theres a new channel theme thing which is a lot more intuitive than the old one, mine can be seen here;

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrkinder

I should say that once all the design stuff has been finalised with you guys I'm happy to change everything to fit the eventual agreed format, but in the meantime collaboration isn't my strongest suit so I've just gone ahead and done what I wanted anyway.

It has this new feature (or maybe its not new and I'm a dummy) where you can make a video specifically to hook new viewers that haven't subscribed yet. Apparently it only plays to them. I thought I'd make one that sets realistic expectations, let me know what you guys think (originally wanted to use a Beastie Boys song but EMI ate it. Fuck EMI up the bumhole);

Might be an idea to get all our media linked up and working on Coopers site in time for the war correspondent video release. Even if some of the aspects arnt finalised yet... This coverage might well bring in a lot of publicity and interest from more aware PS2 players, so having all the presentation prepared would be great.

Plus, that might be a good time to launch our front page article request?

Edit:

Things to include if havnt already.

Our Twitter: https://twitter.com/RPSPlanetside2
    Our Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPlanetShotgun
    Last edited by NickWhite; 12-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Its a good idea, but Im not sure I totally like the layout of the new youtube style tbh.. if thats what it is :P A white background is a bit painful to me, but I suppose it does save a lot of effort... Im not sure, so Ill im open to suggestions.

Rizlars idea could easily be adapted into the header bar just by having 3-4 of the circle heads with the rps logo next to them.

Edit: Who set up the twitter? Might be an idea to use the gmail I made for us... consolidate accounts and make it easy to track.

On a similar note, is it possible for the frontpage of the website to pull from our youtube channel? It would be useful if we could link to the place to view everybodies videos, rather than focus on one set of videos.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 15-03-2013 at 07:04 AM.

I think we are going to run with coopers last idea and develop that.. at least for now, given that the meeting in which we were meant to decide was cancelled last minute.

It seems that the people there like where the logo is heading, or just didnt have an opinion on the matter.

Until we settle on a final design of the stated idea, I will stick to the best current solution that he posted above.

We still need a background, so Rizlar, if you are willing to try and produce something closer to final, that would be brilliant. Thanks!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    How2sundy:
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    We still need a background, so Rizlar, if you are willing to try and produce something closer to final, that would be brilliant. Thanks!
    If everyone is happy with it, and the logo, I will crack on with it this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    If everyone is happy with it, and the logo, I will crack on with it this week.
    I would go so far as to say give it a start at least. If you just wanna do the first pass, then see how it looks, and I guess by then we might have a full opinion. Logo im happy with if everybody else is, we just need to finalise background.

Font will have to wait until cooper makes his mind up, so use a placeholder for now (just try it with lowercase impact for me). We can always change elements im assuming and since it will be its own layer, we can swap the text out later.

See what you can do for us! and thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sure, I am assuming we are going to go with a circular emblem + text for the logo, just so I know how it will fit in with the background.

I will start by producing a final rough, incorporating any changes/finessing the composition, and get the go-ahead on that before committing to finished art.

The circular one that cooper last posted, WITHOUT text for now (i.e. the RPS tag), and without the tongue. Keep the same shape head though, I really have grown to like it. IMO coopers is pretty polished as is, I just dont want that tongue lol.

The background is what im more interested on you focussing on. If you need me to go into more detail, we can have a talk about it at some point on mumble or something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    The circular one that cooper last posted, WITHOUT text for now (i.e. the RPS tag)
    But presumably it will be coupled with the text 'Rock, Planet, Shotgun (such and such since such and such)' in a similar style to the RPS main site's logo, as we have been discussing. This is what I was referring to.

Also I'm not currently planning on tackling the logo at all.

Yeah, we will have the standard rock paper shotgun style for now somewhere nice on the background. I would suggest keeping the grouping with the circles somehow. for now, use the "purple spandex since" version, as it was pretty popular.

Sounds good. the logo needs to be on the final thing, but if you dont want to fuck around with it, just use coopers last text-less design for the bg final draft.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I knocked up another giraffe silhouette to counter the "aardvark-ness" of the other one. Not sure which I prefer. probably something half-way between the two...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I prefer the original a lot more, if im honest. I quite like how tall and thin it is now. the back of the neck should be clear, I like it minimal.

Still looking to see if anybody is interested in making us some videos.

Both as an individual or for upload to the main channel. Take a look at the original post for more info!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Work in progress youtube background. I am playing with the double-exposure effect to suggest light aligning and combining on a projector (films, geddit?).

The different figures all need to be moved around a bit, but the general structure is there and all the classes are visible (particularly pleased with the HA and max). Of course the logo is also a placeholder.

Right click -> view image, for the (almost) full size version.