Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Spec Ops since 1873?
    Lasher Spam since 1873?
    Vanu Disco since 1873?

I'd also add that whilst the teal is a vanu colour I really dislike it's use here, it's quite an unpleasing contrast to the pinky purple that's being used (which I'd rather see more of a blue tint to).

A white or light grey instead of the teal would probably help quite a bit.
    Last edited by apricotsoup; 04-03-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Spec Ops since 1873?
    Lasher Spam since 1873?
    Vanu Disco since 1873?

I'd also add that whilst the teal is a vanu colour I really dislike it's use here, it's quite an unpleasing contrast to the pinky purple that's being used (which I'd rather see more of a blue tint to).

A white or light grey instead of the teal would probably help quite a bit.
    I havent seen any teal used. Are you referring to the vanu green colour? The colour is used in the actual vanu logo, and actually contrasts nicely with the purple... otherwise im not sure what you are referring to? Teal has much more of a blue tint than the current green.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 04-03-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    5 mins later:

I'd like some kind of consistency across the YouTube page and the WordPress front-page. A basic 'logo', giraffe head or otherwise, and a "Rock, Planet, Shtogun" font / layout (rip-off or otherwise) and a background can be used across a range of spaces: youTueb, WP, the wikia / PSU wiki & stats page etc. etc.

As for giraffe logos. I prefer the silhouette of MitchK's to mine / BasicPaul's. But there's something about the very simple balck silhouette, grren circle & purple background that just works.

SVG of Giraffe using MitchK's silhouette, BasicPaul's layout & VS colour scheme from reference image:

Edit: Ugh. That RPS logo attempt os ug-uh-ly.

Let's stick with a giraffe silhouette. It works. It's distinctive and does the job.

As for tag-line:
    "Laser Shoots Since 2873"
    "Pew Pew Since 2873"

BTW: 2873 fits in with the PS2 timeline / lore:
    http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Lore
    Last edited by Cooper; 04-03-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I like it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Like the new giraffe logo Cooper! I'm all for "gal dropping since 2873", btw. Of we could make several versions and rotate them around a bit.

alien spandex since...
    swagriding since...

More SVG:

That gradient on the name can easily be changd. I don't like it currently...

Edit: W/out gradient:

http://imgh.us/RPSGiraffewithnamenogradient.svg
    Last edited by Cooper; 04-03-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    That giraffe logo is perfect. Font is terrible in the last one though. Shooting Men since 2873?
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    wow, there's some really cool stuff in this thread! the scythe in the moon on the first page was good, but the vanu giraffes are pretty great. with a bit of tweaking and disregard for biologic specifics, we could transform the standard issue two horned giraffe into something that resembles vanu a little more. not sure if it's possible to do that without it looking too unicorn-y or silly.

on the matter of the slogan ... how about:
    Liberation through Science™ since 2873.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Here's my humble attempt at a Vanu propaganda poster type thing.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

I really dont like the font being all caps... It isnt smooth enough for vanu, which is why I opted for lower case.

I dont really like the thin giraffe either, it looks goofy... but I can try it on the pastel colour background... do you have the original source file? Id like something a little sharper.

Also, is there any problem with having the scythe behind the logo? I think its a nice touch. Cooper, your last image was essentially my last, with no texture/pastel colours and a thin giraffe. The only difference is the text, which could do with not having the stroke around the edges... a flat colour would be preferable. I can produce exactly that in my style:

giraffelogo.jpg
    http://imgh.us/giraffelogo.png

Quality is higher, but uploading to the forum is compressing it horribly. (click the picture)

Ive also removed the sharp edges around the giraffe head and circle since, so ignore that.

Obviously, this doesnt work as a logo for sites that have square avatars, in which case we should just use the giraffe head part. I can provide people with the final text with transparency if they want to add it to a better background for the youtube channel.

EDIT: added both the anorexic giraffe and new motto to the youtube. "Purple Spandex since 2873". Ill keep the background etc as these until somebody produces something awesome to frame each side.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 04-03-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Much prefer thin giraffe as it looks more Vanu. Scythe behind text makes it busy and harder to read, plus you cant see it. Prefer the clarity and cleanliness (like us Vanu) in the background of coopers as the sharpness makes it pop. I do like lower caps tho
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    We need to decide if everyone's comfortable with a straight rip-off of the Rock Paper Shotgun logo. To be honest, the more I see it, the less comfortable it feels. Not because I'm worried about ripping anything off, but because it just seems a tad unimaginative. Moreover we're a big enough entitiy to deserve (need?) an identity of our own.
    Kind of agree with this, although I like the reference, using the logo basically just identifies us with the RPS site, rather than whatever independent identity we have. Perhaps keep the phrasing 'doing whatever since whenever', but don't necessarily use the typeface/layout?

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Overwhelming force since 1873?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Gal dropping since 1873?
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchK View Post
    Purple Spandex since 1873?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    2873 fits in with the PS2 timeline / lore
    All of the above. Purple spandex is probably my favorite tho.

Before all the logo talk I started playing with ideas for the youtube background, based on that poster style that was picked out. The idea was to have different classes silhouetted: the RPS Giraffes caught in the film maker's lens. Stylish and just a little silly. Could do with some fiddling - this version is just a rough obviously, final effort would use a nicer texture and better drawing.

When I get the time I'm going to try a version of the giraffe-head / VS symbol logo as well - picture the VS symbol with a few shapes added/moved around to make it look like an abstracted giraffe head. Will try incorporating the text into the logo as well, see how it goes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    hmmm. I didn't think the RPS logo as it was worked at first either but the more I think about it the more I like it. After all, our distinguishing feature isn't that we're Vanu, plenty of people are Vanu, it's that we're RPS Vanu. I think with more tweaks we could make the all caps Impact work.

I dunno, I want to stay mostly hands off with this logo stuff as it's not my forte but I've really got a soft spot for that bit at least.

That aside, I love the giraffe over sunset and following about how we were talking about similar avatars for the channel members I took the liberty of knocking up my own for me yoonstube. Went with this;

Not a masterpiece but I reckon it does the job for a little youtube avatar.

I LOVE the idea of having similar things for each our our identities, but I dont know if people will all be willing to do this :P.

Rizlar: I like your idea, however replacing the giraffe head with the one weve used would be good. Also, if you could alter the green to match the colour we have used, that would be awesome.

Yeees Rizlar, gimme a logo of that giraffe one!! Looks fucking awesome and quite silly and fits us perfectly.
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Kind of agree with this, although I like the reference, using the logo basically just identifies us with the RPS site, rather than whatever independent identity we have. Perhaps keep the phrasing 'doing whatever since whenever', but don't necessarily use the typeface/layout?

All of the above. Purple spandex is probably my favorite tho.

Before all the logo talk I started playing with ideas for the youtube background, based on that poster style that was picked out. The idea was to have different classes silhouetted: the RPS Giraffes caught in the film maker's lens. Stylish and just a little silly. Could do with some fiddling - this version is just a rough obviously, final effort would use a nicer texture and better drawing.

When I get the time I'm going to try a version of the giraffe-head / VS symbol logo as well - picture the VS symbol with a few shapes added/moved around to make it look like an abstracted giraffe head. Will try incorporating the text into the logo as well, see how it goes.
    Now that is a sexy looking background, I personally feel the colours work a lot better and I like the side on giraffe a lot, whatever we end up with I owe you a purple giraffe of awesome.

Actually, what would be nice, is to have only one column of circles on each side of the page. The main RPS logo should be on the top left, instead of the top left circle.... Could you try that out, but also using the darker green from our designs? Possibly also the RPS logo in lower case, with no gradient.... I have to say, one thing i hate about the normal RPS logo is the gradient...

Alternatively, if you could post the separate files, I could play around a little.

That's superb Rizlar, brilliant concept! That giraffe is terrific.

I'd agree with Paul in that one column might look better, and to maybe use green to get the Vanu colour scheme in there. Also, possibly have the Vanu logo in the mosaic, just to enforce what faction we are? Dunno how that would look.

Really awesome effort though man, well done!

I've been messing around at:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/

If anyone comes across a WordPress theme that would suit, point me in the direction. I'm happy to edit css files etc. to get somethig specific up, but I'd rather a decent base to start from.

That background I made a while ago. Forgot I had done that. I kind of like how incredibly ugly it is. Not sure it's worth sticking with though...

Edit: Rotating header images are relatively easy to do. If people keep suggesting tag-lines and once we've decided caps or no-caps (and still Impact? It matches the RPS logo, sure. but if we're gonna not use all-caps, maybe we could go that little fruther and use a font that's a little less hideous?) I can make a bunch of header imahes no problem.

BTW: Rizlar's background is teh sex.
    Last edited by Cooper; 05-03-2013 at 05:26 AM.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Network Hub
    another thumbs up for Rizlar's background