Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Ive already made a bunch of header images in my style for testing purposes because I had also planned on totating the youtube ones due to lots of ideas.

I definitely think go with lower case.. Even lower case impact looks relatively nice, but a font like that on the propangada that jag posted would be cool... Trouble is, it really needs to be the "right" font.

yeah, that giraffe background is painful on the eyes cooper xD

As for the main logo on the site, Id really like to keep the textured look (like mine, and the propeganda poster style) because its really nice... The one on your site so far is too matt for my tastes, which is why i stuck with the texture..

One thing I would suggest, is that somebody set up a drop box a few of us can use just to post the images and backgrounds/textures that we use. That way we can share all of the original files, so that we dont have to share low res versions. And no, I dont want to do this part myself, so volunteers please? xD

Im all for using rizlars background, but as stated, it would be nice to play around with composition of the circles and logo a little bit. Again, rizlar, if you could post the original composition images into this dropbox (or somewhere/anywhere) I can have a look and post some suggestions.

There is a link on the front page to the silly mondays playlist. It would be great if this link took people directly to the RPS youtube channel playlist of the same name.

One other thing I should mention, is that in creating the youtube, I needed an email... I basically set us up a gmail: rpsgiraffes@gmail.com

It would be possible to use this email to help collaborate with people in the future or for general inquiries (if ever necessary).. Just thought id let you guys know just in case something like this was required.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 05-03-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Caps look fine here: http://imgh.us/RPSGiraffewithnamenogradient.svg

I am on the no texture pls side of things. I like it sharp.
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Caps look fine here: http://imgh.us/RPSGiraffewithnamenogradient.svg

I am on the no texture pls side of things. I like it sharp.
    The textured one is still sharp, it just has texture? Makes it a little less obnoxious on the eyes. flat colour logos in this context rarely look good on large scale.

I also disagree with caps looking fine. Its better, because it doesnt have a gradient, but it doesnt flow as well. After all, the whole point of lower case is so that letters flow and dont jump out as much. One other thing that I dont like is the stroke outline around the edges.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 05-03-2013 at 07:31 PM.

I don't like the outline either, it looks like it has bugged out.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    I had another stab at general imagery. No idea what we could use the below for but aside from every other Vanu outfit in the world that has a soft spot for giraffe camo I think it could set us apart;

Lesser Hivemind Node
    heh! it looks like a slightly menacing giraffe. i like it.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I quite like that one jaguar, is simple and evocative enough to work. The only thing I'm not keen on (which is a bit of a running theme) is the darkness of the green used. It gets lost somewhat against the very dark purple and isn't a naturally contrasting colour with it to begin with.

Overall logo wise I'm liking the silly giraffe head circle on rizlars background the most but there have been some good offerings :]

I like it, but the green and purple would need a very slight brightening i think.

The only thing is, that its very much just a vanu logo. I think we could use it somewhere, but im not sure, it might be too generic vanu for the outfit as a whole logo. Its really nice though. Simple and obvious.

Im still not sold on the idea of flat colours though. Ive pretty much fallen in love with the propeganda poster design, which is why im pushing for a texture, even if its just the background.

As apricot said, I think we need a lighter colour, especially for the green. The pastel colours seem to fit perfectly, not only with the colourscheme, but with the worn, battered war theme.

I do want to sort the background out, so im waiting on rizlar to either play around with the composition, or pass the files over. I like the idea, but it needs tweaking.

At this point im not worried about logos, im more concerned about getting people together who want featuring on the youtube, so please if there are any other video makers, let me know.

Im actually interested in finding somebody who can document our strategic nights. A channel for actual tactical play would be brilliant.. Im picturing snapshots of the key strategic parts of a night, as well as comedic happenings in strat events... I think putting together a 10-20 min vid of each thursday with comms included... We may need four or more people (one in each squad) to film, then send their files to others.. or even one squads perspective...

if anybody is familiar with the work of chkilroys arma/dayz videos... He cuts key moments out and makes his videos.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 05-03-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Ooh, I like that giraffe camo vanu logo a lot!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I've thrown together some test sheets using fonts from the ever-excellent DAfonts.

I've gone for fonts which maintain an impact-y-ness with some added sci-fi.

Overall, if we stick with Impact I think no all-caps. Impact is too inelegant for all-caps. I quite like some of these, but of the ones I like, they tend to be all-caps.

What do people think: Stick with Impact or go for one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Cont.

KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Btw: my vote goes for 14, 18 or 10
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hey, haven't had time to properly do another pass on the background design, but here is one with the composition shuffled round a bit and the turquoise darkened slightly, to be less invasive. I also tried using the green colour, which you can see here, but I much prefer the turquoise (but then it is one of my favorite colours to use). Regarding the original files, what I uploaded is pretty much the resolution I was working at, there isn't really anything in the original file that you couldn't just get from them.

Depending on what way we decide to go with the logo/text the composition would have to change dramatically, so there doesn't seem much point in fine-tuning the idea until then.

Regarding logos (the giraffe skin Vanu symbol is awesome) what do we actually need/want from a logo? Is it important that the text is large and in classic RPS style? Will the logo have to fit certain shapes/sizes? Where will it be appearing and what sort of image do we want to communicate exactly?

Edit Due To Slowness: I quite like typefaces 10, 24, 27. Seem to gravitate towards all caps as well... Also should it perhaps read 'laser shooters' / 'laser shooting'? I am liking them tho, rather than the impact.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 06-03-2013 at 01:07 AM.

14 imo, quite like that one.

edit: LIke Jaguars logo as well, but yeah, spiffy up the green. Make it shine! Make it garish! Make it giraffe!
    Find me on the Steams

I like that too Jag, give it a bit of spit-shine and it would be pretty perfect! The more I look at the existing logo the more ambiguous I think it looks...if someone from outside our community looks at Jag's, they're gonna have a better idea of what we're about.

By the way, the font the official Planetside text is based on is called Coalition. It's also what they use for the Gears of War games. I do have the font but I'm pretty tired so I'll leave it up to someone else to make a test if they're interested.

Link to the font

You can find the PS2 fonts in the assets folders on your HDD. They're plain TrueType font files so can be installed and used just like any other font file.

I used them for my metagame meeting proposal but would avoid using them for anything for [RPS]
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

I like 7 and 11. They are futuristic looking fonts that dont hit you in the face. 17 is alright.

Dont like the ones others have suggested though lol. Too close to that "IMPACT IN YOUR FACE" feel.

Couple of slight thing: The logo doesnt want a comma after planet.... Also, I dont really like the laser shoots tag line :P mitch's purple spandex since is the best so far.

Rizlar: I MUCH prefer the green version. I know you like the turquoise version, but the green fits more with the colour scheme and looks overall more impressive. I also think you should edit out the giraffes tongue, because I think id like the sideways giraffe much more then.

No real massive change needs to be done for the logo... you can put it together now, but leave a gap for the logo... this (horribly put together) image shows how I think the composition should be:
    layout.jpg
    If you could mock this up and show me how it looks, that would be fabulous. the colours would obviously alternate vertically, and the other side would be the opposite.. As for positioning of the different head types, whatever looks best? The text should be in the same green textured colour as the circles please.. could you also use the "Purple Spandex since 2873" tag line too?

Id really like to see how this looks actually on the page, so if you can do this, send it over (host it on an image site) and ill upload it to see how it feels.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 06-03-2013 at 02:29 AM.

I've knocked up an [RPS] colour swatch based upon the output of this thread thus far:

KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

To that end, I've done a really quick pass on Jaguars Skill's logo. It lacks the gradeints and bevels, and it seems the giraffe camo as pulled from the game files has a little bit that doesn't tile properly I'll need to change.

KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Why didn't I think to look in the game files for all this stuff?! I drew my own giraffe camo tile for the RPS text I did on the first page, took me ages with my novice editing skills lol.