Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    The side on giraffe is growing on me.. Its much more obvious what it is, and has the giraffe camo too.... The skinny giraffe has a kind of "goat" look to it... I wasnt sold on text either, but on the side on giraffe one, the text looks ok.

Also, eso, if you wanted the purple, green, black design, we are getting back to my original unedited version, just with a different purple and a better texture.

My original for reference:

As I said though, it has a bit of a goatish look to it imo. the obvious sideways giraffe is appealing not only because it is obvious, but because it fits with rizlars design background... Im interested in seeing the changes I asked of cooper above. mainly, no tongue.

Im interested to see the sideway design with and without the RPS logo. If you insist on having an "RPS" on the logo itself, the sideways ones work.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 08-03-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I do like those colours the best though pauly, I'd love the see the side giraffe with that and the texture :3

We're getting close I reckon :P

Big fan of this one! I actually quite like the text there too, it seems to fill the gap nicely and the italics run in the same direction as the Giraffe neck. I wouldn't mind too much if it was removed though.

This is kind of going against the structured development of ideas people were suggesting further up the page, and it seems we are coming close to a final design now (I'd be perfectly happy with using the above), but I'm gonna throw this in anyway: I drew this up quickly last night after thinking of ways to squeeze more Vanu/Planetside into the design. Kind of a take on the Vanu logo with the green halo and the infils + giraffe as the man thingy.

image.jpg

As I said, just a quick sketchy idea. Make of it what you will!

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Agreed. But: I cant stress enough that we need to lose the tongue.
    That's not hard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I don't know what Rizlar's plan is, but I think he suggested a profile portrait of each class.

In which case, I quite like the idea of having that as the background and the giraffe be the logo, facing in the other direction to the portraits.

I'm not sold on the tag being in the logo. I put it there to see what it'd be like. If we are going to settle on a rps-esque name & font then we don't necessarily need the tag.

If we do keep the tag and nick Rizalr's deisgn, I would mess about with the skew on the tag & the neck to get it a bit more harmonious.

Edit: Darker purple, no tag:
    Last edited by Cooper; 08-03-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

That's real nice. Remove the tongue and it's good to go.

Yeah I reckon it looks better without the text. Thinking about it, depending on where we'll use the logo the text may be too small to read anyways.

I'd say the background colour and the colour of the giraffe spots needs to be the same, or very similar. I prefer the lighter background to the darker for that reason.

And yeah, snip the tongue!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    No takers? Leaving this to me? Oh alright...

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    That's real nice. Remove the tongue and it's good to go.
    That's what she said!

Ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    That's what she said!

Ahem.
    Yeah, she did.

I just meant for cooper to cut it, because that way its done with the original image and theres no compression worries.

Mitch, I see what you mean about the neck camo colour but im not sure... I think the dark purple could do with being very slightly lighter, at which point the difference in neck to background might not be an issue. We need a colour balance, because the purple might be a bit too bright, but the darker one might be a little too dark? Id like to see it slightly brighter to make my mind up.

I agree cooper.. it might not ne necessary to have the rps there, but theres no harm in having variations for different uses. I like it a lot without too. Just a few tweaks, namely that tongue, and we are good to go as far as im concerned.

I agree, the background might be best a few shades lighter, then like you say the difference between that and the neck will probably be negligible. The lighter colours suit us better I think - bit more fun and silly. Getting it close to Vanu purp is important too though.

Okay, I'm away for the weekend and just with my netbook; so no graphical editing for a couple of days.

If people are happy with the Rizlar rip-off, which seems to be the case, then I will work it up into something final. Both scaled rasters and and SVG for use by others.

Some things need to be decided:
    How do we 'texture' the image? The textures (and colours for turquise and white) I have used are just ripped straight from VS_shared_armor_c.dds in the game files. The square patches of colour & texture on that file are not good for anything larger than 100x100 px. I have had to up-scale them by 150% to create the Rizlar rip-off above. I do not think we should be sticking with this, either as colour reference (see below) or for texture effect. BasicPaul: Do you have a reference image (or map that can be used by adobe stuff?) for the texture you have been using? I'd like to see what the Rizlar rip-off comes out like on that. I imagine the final texture will be something in-between what the two of us have gone for, unless something else comes up?

In anycase, the next step will be an SVG with block-colours so that we can decide upon a colour scheme. To that end, can anyone knock me up some HTML codes for a white-ish silhouette, a turquoise circle, a lighter purple and a darker purple as well as a green that can be added to our arsenal of colours if not actually used in the logo and that stick close to in-game colour references and work well together. Use this version of ps2ls to read in-game image and texture files really easily:
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ighlight=ps2ls

Secondly, any preference between the giraffe pattern on the neck being the same purple as the background or a fourth colour, the lighter purple neck pattern with darker background?

Once I've knocked up the SVG for the logo, which I'll do on Monday, I'll start putting the logo up against the name / tagline to see how they work against one another.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

I much prefer it without the tongue, though we're not the 'Purple Aardvarks' are we? I realise the image is stylized, but the more i look at it the more i can't unsee it... Imo a profile Giraffe snout has much more depth. This one just screams "I LOVE TO EAT ANTS".

Moving on, i did a bit of homework on logos, decals and emblems that other outfits and communities have used just to see if there is any common ground. Whilst realising that it is simply just a thing that you take at face value, if it contains suggestive elements and themes then the person loking at it can perhaps deconstruct the image and work out who we are, how we are... etc.

So, i have a suggestion to make.

Perhaps our imagery could reflect a bit more upon our outfit experiences? Our niche is Giraffey stuff sure, but what about adding slightly more depth?

To elaborate. On Miller we (rps and vs) are almost always outnumbered and outgunned. Yet for our comparative size we always give as good as we get. So, mirroring that fact within our image might be nice to do? Perhaps by making our material a little bit more gritty? (I'd say not going as far as that whole GOW ragtag COG army type thing. But somewhere along those lines.)

So, for simplicitys sake, the darker version RPS giraffe, which already sort of looks gritty (without the tongue), but then add a spash of "battered" and a dollop of "grizzled". You people are better at the sort of thing than me so perhaps you could give it a go yourselves. I dont mean an "elite spec ops - behind enemy lines - rambo headband" type thing. I mean just adding a bit more drama to our material.

And not to the point where it looks ruined, tired or tarnished either. Just to where the VS sheen of sophistication and sleekness has been grated away enough for it to get a really nice juxtaposition. We've already got abstract with having a bloody Giraffe! Why not give it demonic purple eyes and ridiculous smouldering nostrills! Sure, it might be slightly more comedic and less serious than the current silhouette, but when people see it, they might think to themselves "they dont take themselves to seriously, that looks cool/funny, blahblahblah".

Catch my drift?
    Last edited by NickWhite; 09-03-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

I know you said "not" something rambo. But after that suggestion I will be adding a teenage-mutant-hero-esque headband to the giraffe when I get back to it.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    If you want something large and textury I can knock anything up to spec that you want (I do tileable textures and things at work all the time).

Just give me a style and image size.

In terms of the silhouetted logo, what do you lot think of this? I like the style, perhaps that Lion could be changed for a Giraffe but keep the angry? Maybe a little bit similar to how these guys do it? I really like the NC Lion one, maybe we could go down that road? At the danger of it looking cartoony, if that even is a danger?

As for a style and image size apricot, i'll have a fiddle around with a few ideas ive had and whack them up on here for you.

Nick: I dont like the style.

Cooper: I like it kept simple.... while a tmnt headband would be hilarious for in jokes, I dont think it works as a logo.. I think we need to stick to what we are deciding on.... We are getting there.. just remove the damn tongue and try different BG colours.

The headband would only be for the lols.

I quite like the basic stencil setup we've been using thus far. The bold-line vector graphics of (american) sports teams is something very different.

It's also an aesthetic style linked with US sports, not globally, and thus I don;t think it's an aesthetic we'd want to ape...
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    [edit:] Ohyeah, also meant to say that I have been busy finishing off a project over the last week or so, now I have a bit more time to focus on important Rock Planet Shotgun related business (and playing PS2) again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Once I've knocked up the SVG for the logo, which I'll do on Monday, I'll start putting the logo up against the name / tagline to see how they work against one another.
    Hope that you haven't started producing vectors of the logo already. The giraffe silhouette I originally drew is crazy rough, for the actual logo I would be happy to draw one up properly (keeping it simple, stylised with a focus on looking like a real giraffe, like the rough image). From what little I remember of using Adobe Illustrator tracing vectors is fiddly and takes a long time, doesn't seem worth it for the current, blobby, reference-free giraffe. Of course, I might be completely wrong and you are actually doing something totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    On Miller we (rps and vs) are almost always outnumbered and outgunned. Yet for our comparative size we always give as good as we get. So, mirroring that fact within our image might be nice to do? Perhaps by making our material a little bit more gritty? (I'd say not going as far as that whole GOW ragtag COG army type thing. But somewhere along those lines.)

[...]

Just to where the VS sheen of sophistication and sleekness has been grated away enough for it to get a really nice juxtaposition
    May not be what you had in mind, but from what you were saying I got the idea that some of these elements could be conveyed well using tone and texture. The shining techno-giraffe of Vanu emerging above the gritty, mundane acts of warfare. Like this.

Although the white one is good and crisp, effective in conveying the purity of the giraffe spirit, I originally knocked it up in bright pink, which I actually like a lot (realise it's not purple, but wth it's only a logo).
    Last edited by Rizlar; 11-03-2013 at 03:18 PM.

@Rizlar Yeah that's definitely the sort of look i was thinking of. Still unsure about the actual head shape though. Maybe thicken out the end of the snout a bit more and see how that looks.

@Paul Bit James but fair enough. Reason for suggesting more things is to try and spark off more imagination because, as it happens, i think the current image we have is really bland. I feel it lacks any character, which is a complete contrast to us as an outfit, and not one that i think we should be portraying. (Hence my other post) The image Rizlar put together for me has a lot more depth in terms of the connotations it carries. Our image should be a banner, something that stands for who, what and why we are. I'm not trying to make a big deal about all this but, as i'll go into in a bit, this image will end up being synonymous with us.

@Cooper "we" or you? If you dont like it, thats fine. Though i'm not entirely conviced that most people would be against something like that to be honest. On the whole, if it were to be done to a good enough standard, people might like it. I feel there's little danger of us being mistaken for a US sports team. Not unless the design was incredibly similar to one that already exists irl. Those images are bold, yes. And arguably that is the main reason behind their success.

They grab your attention straight away dont they? Not only that though, as they also clearly emote characteristics. Which is sometimes, what a logo is all about. For example, the structure and composition of this one makes me think of fury, excelleration, determination and sharpness (to name a few). All strong attributes, all things that could arguably reference us. It's descriptive enough, in its own makeup, for people to make up their own minds on what it stands for. Which ultimately, is what public image is. What people preserve you as. In this particular example, i like how the image starts off just as two lines, then suddenly morphs into a completely new image... If youre going for a stylised look then i suggest a really abstract set of shapes (maybe just 3 or 4) that warp and bend into the form the Giraffe head. Or perhaps, have those shapes have a dual role as the letters RPS, or something else within context.
    Last edited by NickWhite; 11-03-2013 at 05:32 PM.