Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    3 for me as well. 1 or 5 will work in a pinch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I think 3 looks pretty cool too. Sci-fi pulp. Sorta like PS2!
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    3 caps is my favourite now. To reiterate: I agree with Cooper that sorting out a logo is the priority. It has been a pretty good brainstorming session of anything and everything so far, but we need to progress in a more structured way to allow ideas to flourish before deciding on designs. Creating a design brief (ie. what do we need?), producing quick roughs of our ideas for it and reaching consensus on them, then actually producing the images. It makes sense to decide on a logo design before creating the backgrounds, since the header/logo will be the most important element.
    Agreed. I'm tempted to start a new thread with a design brief and start accepting submissions then put it to some kind of vote. Problem is, we then limit submissions to those who are willing / able to formalise their ideas into something more substantial. Which is a minority of those who've posted ideas here. For exmaple I still quite like MitchK's original giraffe & eclipse, but it hasn't been picked up thus far. Whether Mitch or anyone else would work that into something more formal, I dunno?

It might be messier, but potentially more productive, to cobble something together collaboratively as we have been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar
    Looks like we have started addressing the text and it will definitely be part of the logo, so are we definitely going for an emblem like Jag's to sit alongside it? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this? As an alternative, the type could be more heavily incorporated into a logo image. Would this be a problem, rather than keeping emblem and type completely seperate? It could look slicker than having them as two separate things. Do we need this emblem to be usable for avatars? Seems to me like avatars are so small you could use anything that links into the outfit's visual identity for them, is it worth limiting the logo design due to this?
    The issue that's occuring is that emblem design and font choice are currently taking place in a relatively distinct manner. I like some of the emblems that have come out, but I worry that they rely too much on giraffe-references which are entirely lost to anyone who is not in [RPS]. Simply getting

It does require a comma, but I agree about the purple spandex.
    Agreed. I quite like the idea of rotating taglines. This is something we can sort out at a later date. For now I have been using fairly long taglines simply to get an idea of how they look next to the larger title.

The green does warm the image up, which is good, tho I'm still not entirely convinced by it. Unless there is a good reason to decide on these things now, may I suggest that we leave the specifics of each design until we are ready to produce them? Working digitally, it's a simple thing to try out different colour schemes and often you cannot predict what colours will or will not work together.
    Getting some idea of colours to aim for helps, but tying them down is not necessary. Rather than specific colour values, we do need to decide one thing: Are we going to deliberately aim for "Vanu" colours, or push for something a bit more distinctive?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Some quick logos-with-tag

KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    Fonts: I like 2, 4 (only if it was in italic) and 5 (lower case only), but 9 sticks out to me a little too.

Rizlar + cooper: The comma does not want to be there. It looks goofy, and the original RPS logo doesnt have one. It offsets the last character too much and takes the entire logo out of line. This is fairly important imo.. it screws up the alignment to no end....

Im also not sure about having text in the logo itself. Sure we have an RPS name tag for use on bigger images, but the 'lgoo' itself should be just imagery that represents us... which is why I have been pushing the giraffe.

Cooper: your last variants on mine were quite nice. In particular I like:
    This design is good, but the giraffe could do with being a little more distinct? idk...
    This design is the one I would choose if we have to have text. Combining the giraffe AND text doesnt work in your examples imo... Perhaps if you had the one above, but with the RPS text centered like in the one below and in the same colour as the background.

For both designs, i would seriously make the background lighter.. I like it as is, but it might look a little nicer if the purple was slightly brighter.

Its going in the right direction though... I really like the colours and texture used in these last two, so could we work from these?

These colours would transfer very nicely into rizlars background design, even using the lighter green to a degree. In my mind, the logo is fairly final ^.... the only issue I can see, is the font used for the outfit title. I would propose that if we are to choose from each, we see how each looks in the light green used in your designs ^. This colour would offset nicely from the background if used on the actual site/youtube background, but also allow the title to tile with the circles. One thing I didnt like about rizlars design is that the RPS title was on its own to the right. It needs to be included in the pattern and to the left.

Rizlar, I totally understand your "nazi" nature with the logo, and its exactly the same reason I am being a bitch about making sure we get it right too.. Im very picky myself, especially with graphics.

This is nice! It really reminds me of something, I can't quite think what it is though. I think it might be something Nike did with their football stuff? Anyway, the only think I would say about it that it doesn't necessarily say anything about us. I don't know if that's important - there's not much you can project in such a small space - but at least you could pick up the Vanu 'vibe' on the current design.

To be honest, if you're looking to develop the eclipse thing I did it may be better for someone else with a bit more finesse to try it. I played around with that for quite a while to end up with that; I'm not sure where else I could take it. If you have any ideas I can at least try, but someone with more experience would most likely pull it off better than I could!

For the record, I like fonts 5 and 7 [edit:both in caps]. They're easy to read, easily relatable back to the original RPS logo but both have the nice sci-fi edge we're looking for! Can't decide which I like better...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Agreed. I'm tempted to start a new thread with a design brief and start accepting submissions then put it to some kind of vote. Problem is, we then limit submissions to those who are willing / able to formalise their ideas into something more substantial.
    The submissions should be exceedingly rough, just enough to communicate the idea. Got a bit carried away on my own background rough, it really could have just been blobs and a description. The idea was that having a common brief for pooling ideas would make it easier to combine/develop them, don't necessarily think they should be voted on. Perhaps we do all have a good enough idea of what is required, but it felt like we were getting suggestions for all sorts of designs, at various levels of finish, which is a bit confusing/unproductive.

I still feel that laying out what we want in specific detail, then producing lots and lots (and lots) of different barebones ideas to mull over, before deciding exactly what to make and how best to make it, will ultimately net us much better results.

I quite like the idea of rotating taglines. This is something we can sort out at a later date. For now I have been using fairly long taglines simply to get an idea of how they look next to the larger title.
    Rotating taglines sounds great!

Rather than specific colour values, we do need to decide one thing: Are we going to deliberately aim for "Vanu" colours, or push for something a bit more distinctive?
    This is the sort of thing I would like to see in a brief, eg. 'If using colour, try to incorporate Vanu colour elements, but don't limit yourself to just them' (this would probably be my preference).

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    The comma does not want to be there. It looks goofy, and the original RPS logo doesnt have one. It offsets the last character too much and takes the entire logo out of line. This is fairly important imo.. it screws up the alignment to no end....
    Ah, good point. I was just thinking in terms of grammar, but you are right, whatever looks strongest is best.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 07-03-2013 at 11:12 PM.

I'm fairly ambivalent about commas. I put it in because I thought / assumed the rock paper shotgun logo had one. With or without is fine by me.

As for a design brief. My thinking is that if we can get a logo, why not a logo, in addition to the rps-esque name & tagline? As long as they work together, that should be fine.

That being said, the only outfit logo I recognise that does not include a tag or name in it is The Sentinels. Which they use a lot (esp forum sigs) and have had for ages. And there's loads of them, so it gets everywhere. This shouldn't put us off a logo, but it means it should be a) pretty disctinctive and b) fairly simple so it's not just a bunch of ugly clutter like some of those logos...

I'll draft a brief tomorrow / later tonight. We can then work on a draft until we have something we can start moving with & working what we do have so it aims towards the brief.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Some quick logos-with-tag

This one but with the text centered. It's perfect. The black of the head makes the font more legible, the giraffe theme is there, but it is more subtle with the RPS text in the front. A slightly (only slightly) lighter hue for the purple and I think we can look forward to June, where we'll all be wearing it as a decal.

Trouble is, the black version, the head gets lost in the purple somewhat.. I think what I suggested with the light head, but a dark colours "RPS" would work wonders.. Cooper, if you have a moment, could you knock up my idea? Shouldnt be difficult if you have the source still.

On another note, yes I agree with you cooper, we should have a distinctive "logo". That is to say, a logo in every sense of the word... No (long) text... at most an abbreviation such as RPS... but this isnt actually necessary... The logo compliments the tagline logo (rock paper shotgun blah blah).

In terms of this "vote"; I dont think its necessary to vote on it. We have the ideas, all we need now is to decide on one. As I said, it would be great if you could try my idea of slightly mixing up your take on my design as stated above. If possible, could you send me the source/composition files for the last logo you made ^, so that I could play around with it a little?

Put together a quick one that has a bit more comic value...

As requested:

BTW: Been using 3 "Faktos" for these tags.

Firstly it looks like "RPS" whereas 5 and 7 look like "APS"

Secondly it has a native square bracket which 8, 6 and 7 lack.

HNkami (which for me is drawn with faktos for best) is native italics and has a normal, round bracket which is basically square. That's a possibility.

I think we can probably reduce the font chocies down to "HNkami" (6) and "Faktos" (3) based upon range of characters, style, readability etc. I would probably go for Faktos because of aforementioned worries about the lowercase e, i and s letters which drop below the base line and just look weird because of that.

Edit2: BTW the Purple square, turqiose circle, black giraffe and white RPS tag could work with a significant lightening of the purple... Will have a stab

Edit3: Done:

Edit 4: Realised that's not what Basic Paul asked. Check below...

The purple is a random selection via hue/lightness, it's not meant to be final but rather an indication of a different possibility.
    Last edited by Cooper; 08-03-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

What BasicPaul asked for:

Edit: With RPS tag where I had it originally:

New giraffe with lighter purple & black tag
    Last edited by Cooper; 08-03-2013 at 04:28 AM.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

A couple more that are entirely ripped-off of Rizlar:

Edit: It looks good against the original black too:
    Last edited by Cooper; 08-03-2013 at 05:04 AM.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

This one is closest to what I asked to see, though I meant to have the RPS tag in the very center of the circle. For the purposes of logo, it may also be worth not using italics on RPS, because it screws up the already symmetrical nature.

I had meant to only lighten the background a tiny bit, because I actually like it dark. It would be worth seeing a few variations in colour for the background, but I do like both the dark and light.. somewhere in between could work too.

This is what Eclectic asked for. I dont think it works particularly well this way, because the RPS is harder to see. Again, it might look better if the RPS wasnt italic.

I like all three in this style, and the italic rps works in this sense. My only issue with it, is that I REALLY HATE the tongue.... the image would be almost perfect without that damn tongue. Also, I prefer it facing right... which means it would probably be good to have all of the characters on the background face right.

If you could make the last one here^ without the tongue (in the purple and black), Ill use this. The addition of the giraffe spots really adds to the imagery. Im not sure on either purple or clear.. probably purple, especially when we have it on black.

Actually, if you could also make the same as above but with the background from below (also without tongue ), so that we have three background variations on it.. that would be fantastic.

Again, good moves forward... not only for colours, but for design and texture. These last few are pretty.

One thing though: dont much like the goofy giraffe version :P

EDIT: When we finalise which stuff we are going for, it would be a brilliant idea if we could put them in a shared repository for those of us that need them. It would be very useful to have access to the component parts so that its possible to play around with elements, or use the particular elements elsewhere for related things.

I did previously suggest dropbox, as we can set up a shared folder for that.

The backgrounds and logos could be easily shared... the photoshop document files for example, would be a really useful resource.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 08-03-2013 at 10:08 AM.

OOOOH, yes. I love those BasicPauly. The big one and the small one with white giraffe and black text are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    OOOOH, yes. I love those BasicPauly. The big one and the small one with white giraffe and black text are awesome.
    Agreed. But: I cant stress enough that we need to lose the tongue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I personally don't like having [RPS] stamped over the logos.
    While logo and words can work as a combination, I don't think it does in this case.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I personally don't like having [RPS] stamped over the logos.
    While logo and words can work as a combination, I don't think it does in this case.
    I agree with this, tis starting to look somewhat cluttered to me and massively detracts from clear reading of logos.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Agreed CMaster
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I agree with the last three posters. I like the logo with the head-on giraffe head best, I like the vague similarity to the VS logo. White-on-green-on-purple is my favourite colour scheme so far. Like this one, but without the text:

I suppose it could be hard to distinguish if we were to get an in-game armour decal at some point though, so maybe the black giraffe head would be better for that purpose.