Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    As a side note, my daily bread is usually gathered as an animator/motion graphics artist - so I'd be happy to talk to people about designing intros/outros for channels.

That's definitely an as-and-when-I-can-get-them-done thing though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Work in progress youtube background. I am playing with the double-exposure effect to suggest light aligning and combining on a projector (films, geddit?).

The different figures all need to be moved around a bit, but the general structure is there and all the classes are visible (particularly pleased with the HA and max). Of course the logo is also a placeholder.
    I like the concept of the double exposure idea, though im not sure about it entirely. It could work because its a nice idea, but currently I think it ever so slightly takes away from that solid bold poster look the background had going for it, if you can see what I mean? I liked how striking it was in a way. I like the sketchy effect around the logo though.

Would it also be a good idea to have the heads facing the same way as the giraffe?
    On one hand it is nice to have separation so that the logo stands out, but on the other it would be quite nice to have a sense of alignment here. Id actually like to see the latest logo using the colours of the circles actually, has that been posted?

Great job though!

Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    As a side note, my daily bread is usually gathered as an animator/motion graphics artist - so I'd be happy to talk to people about designing intros/outros for channels.

That's definitely an as-and-when-I-can-get-them-done thing though.
    Thats awesome. If its alright with you, ill add your name to the list of contributors/possible contacts?

One thing that might be cool is to get some kind of concept idea for an intro to videos that *might* be posted on the main channel. Potentially something that incorporates our logo/information. I dont know, youre the expert, any ideas?
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 18-04-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Yes feel free to add me to the list of contributors/contacts.

Not much point getting that sort of thing together until we have a better idea of the branding side of things. Once we've settled on a logo for the outfit (as well as offshoots, variants etc.) I'll start putting some ideas together.

I think some kind of intro that can just be stuck in front of any video that we upload to that channel (branding it as ours, essentially) is a good idea. Am sure we can kick those ideas around a bit once the logo is done. Off the top of my head I'm thinking just logo and text, with maybe some 80s inspired lasers and stuff ... but that might be because I just watched the Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon intro video, as well as Space Stallions.

Updated the front page with some new info.

At some point when this is all sorted out, Ill post some new info on all of this stuff as a repository for related information, given that this thread turned into a design thread.

Looks like youtube are enforcing "one channel" so we may have to rethink a bit? Not sure how it all works, but we will need a banner I think. You up for creating that Rizlar?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    You need to make a 2560x1440 image that will hopefully accommodate all resolutions as well as possible. Details here;

http://support.google.com/youtube/bi...answer=2972003

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Seems like it would be easy enough to adapt the existing images to the new format. Cheers for the link, Jag, v useful. I will bosh out a rough layout and stick it up here for feedback.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    How abouts this? View the images separately for roughly the correct size.

Full width

Minimum width/safe zone

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Looks very good! Didn't we once agree on removing the comma after PLANET, though?

I like it apart from the writing. Or maybe it's the font. Or the commas. Or something. I honestly don't know, but the writing looks....off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, Eso is right, the comma should not be there, just used the text from an old version of the youtube background. Think Cooper mentioned something about getting a usable version of the text up with the rest of the graphics resources, if so we can use that.

Just noticed some other things I could have taken into account, like trying the silhouettes facing the other way etc. It was only meant to be an initial rough version anyway, the colour is also something that could change.

Edit: Might need to decide on a tagline for the text as well. 'Filming Lasers Since 2873'?
    Last edited by Rizlar; 26-05-2013 at 05:34 PM.

I remember Sinomatic posted a logo with "Lasher spam since 2873" and I liked that a lot. Another variant might be "PewPew Lasers since 2873"

What I never understood was, we wanted to get away from being like RPS the site and changed the font. But then we didn't change the layout of the text in any way. Seems if we were to free ourselves from one then why not the other? Perhaps that's a conversation for another time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    I remember Sinomatic posted a logo with "Lasher spam since 2873" and I liked that a lot. Another variant might be "PewPew Lasers since 2873"
    That was from the one on the site.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @Jaguar - because we still want to mirror the main site's identity, since the outfit is based around Rock, Paper, Shotgun? The font, Faktos, kind of mirrors Impact (or whatever the RPS logo font is) with a sci-fi twist, which I like.

Should the text layout be set in stone though? I am not sure.

Also a video-based tagline could be good, since I don't think we can rotate them or anything on the youtube banner. 'Lasers in your eyes since 2873' is probably too long... :'(
    Last edited by Rizlar; 26-05-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Once people have settled on a look for the images I can spend a little time making a simple logo sting for videos - maybe a five to ten second logo treatment that everyone making videos can have, throw it in front of their videos - a little more branding, if you like.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Should probably wait a bit longer for feedback before posting more, but I was just messing around with some textures and thought it worth sharing. Has a bit more of a stencilled graffiti feel, let me know what y'all think.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    The text may be a little small, but I love the design :3

Tres bien, really like that scratchy stuff going on around the giraffe circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Should probably wait a bit longer for feedback before posting more, but I was just messing around with some textures and thought it worth sharing. Has a bit more of a stencilled graffiti feel, let me know what y'all think.

Yeah, I love this design, so lets move forward with it.

I want to make some decisions on finishing touches, so we can get it up ASAP:

- Have you decided on this as final head direction? Looks fine to me, but thats minor so its your call.

- The text; Size looks ok here, but it could be a little bigger so that the tagline isnt entirely obscured on the youtube page.

- Regarding keeping the RPS style of logo.. We do want to associate ourselves with rock paper shotgun, and the textual logo is currently the only way we are doing this, so I think it should stay. One option is that we drop the tag line entirely, so that it isnt TOO similar, though it is quite nice to have it as another little reference. This brings me on to my next point:

- The tag line itself, should we keep it: Im not sold on the current example, nor am I sold on lasher spam. I did quite like the original "purple spandex since", which fits with our theme, but Im open to yet more ideas with this.

- Comma: should be removed. The original RPS logo doesnt have a comma after paper, so we shouldnt have one after planet.

- The font: Im not entirely happy with this, but Cooper decided on this one. Could have done with being even more futuristic I think, but we can keep this for now.

-Size of logo: Could be slightly bigger maybe? Theres not much space to work with, but if the heads were a tad smaller, and logo a bit bigger, it might balance out a bit and show off our beautiful logo .

Id really like the scratchy purple to stand out, so if it is made larger, this might help with that. Alternatively, the background texture could be dulled down a bit? It really pops in the black version, but I like the textured version more.

Once we have all of these minor points nailed down, can you upload and send me the thing preferably as a large original PSD/Tiff so that we have it saved at a couple of locations for future use please Rizlar?

Also, The logo as seen here, with the scruffy purple background, I absolutely love! Can I perhaps get a copy of the logo like this? I think we should (maybe?) use this as the logo intro to videos... We can do whatever kinds of flashy things to it, but it looks lovely! A separate layer in the large file would be fine too, as long as its high res.

Good job though, Rizlar, It looks really nice.