Thread: Risk Of Rain

Network Hub

Risk Of Rain

This has been my 'casual' go to for the past couple of weeks. It's alpha. Fun for 5, 10, 20, 40 minutes or more. There's only a few levels so once you get past third it will just infinitely cycle that level 'till you die. You will die. Latest version available here (scroll down) or here.

New video
    Last edited by baby snot; 03-03-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Ugh. Is there a video that doesn't have an idiot who thinks he is "hip" talking all over everything and making me want to stab my eardrums?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    if you click on the speaker looking thing in the bottom left of the video it will mute

Activated Node
    Is anyone playing this right now? I really like the demo and I'm really looking forward to the more fleshed out game with more classes and abilities.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I was wondering what Gundato's post was about. I was thinking "I already want this game, and the voiceover hasn't even kicked in!"

Downloading the demo right now.

Edit: I played it for about half an hour. It has the foundations of a good idea, but the level layouts aren't procedurally generated and the enemies have a nasty habit of not spawning at all or spawning so thick that they instantly kill you. The Miner (the class featured in OP's video) seems woefully shitty compared to the other class, the Commando. I'll probably keep playing the demo, but I won't be backing it.
    Last edited by sabrage; 23-04-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I was wondering what Gundato's post was about. I was thinking "I already want this game, and the voiceover hasn't even kicked in!"

Downloading the demo right now.

Edit: I played it for about half an hour. It has the foundations of a good idea, but the level layouts aren't procedurally generated and the enemies have a nasty habit of not spawning at all or spawning so thick that they instantly kill you. The Miner (the class featured in OP's video) seems woefully shitty compared to the other class, the Commando. I'll probably keep playing the demo, but I won't be backing it.
    I'm a bit confused. The levels are procedurally generated, aren't they? They seem that way to me. Also, I've played for a few hours and have yet to get swarmed with monsters in a way that guarantees my death. I've yet to make it past a level 2 boss, though.

Agree 100% on the minor being garbage compared to the other class. I'm sure they'll tweak that.

Network Hub
    I haven't played the demo. The alpha, or whatever came before that, did not have procedurally generated levels. It had three, and the third would repeat till you died or got bored. I don't know if anyone has watched the videos of the dev playing as miner but he tends to attack from above, a lot, which got me thinking it was intended to be played in a completely different manner from the commando. Or maybe it's just shit like everyone says. Anyways... ooo co-op is coming. Hmmm

Activated Node
    I think the tile sets always happen in a certain order, but the level layouts are procedurally generated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benexclaimed View Post
    I'm a bit confused. The levels are procedurally generated, aren't they? They seem that way to me. Also, I've played for a few hours and have yet to get swarmed with monsters in a way that guarantees my death. I've yet to make it past a level 2 boss, though.

Agree 100% on the minor being garbage compared to the other class. I'm sure they'll tweak that.
    The enemies, spawnpoint, exit and drops are procedurally (or maybe just randomly? I may be using the word in the wrong sense here) spawned, but the layouts aren't. They DO differ from character to character. Like Baby Snot said the third level in the demo (which is also the first level) just spits out boss fight after boss fight until you die.

Obscure Node
    Yes, I agreed that tile sets happen in a certain order and the layouts procedurally generated.Anyhow thanks for some good stuff.