The Great pointless air race of 2013

So I've been flying a Reaver with RTRS, crashing, dying, crashing some more, dying even more, rage quitting some, occasionally doing something good and dying some more (to a level billion mozzie pilot). In the quiet times when those things aren't happening, I tend to fly about like a berk in the warp gate, or around a facility. And it got me thinking... it'd be fun to set up check points and do a great big race. During live server time, while a war goes on. The idea I've been thinking of would be a run from the north western most corner of Indar all the way to the South eastern most. I haven't put much more thought into it than that, but I think you can imagine some of the possibilities. The race would be very much a ground hugging agility and accuracy thing. You can't shoot others, but you can crash into them (to your detriment). It would be balanced by having everyone spawn bog standard default mossies on level one characters. We're all gentlemen here so I don't see that anyone would turn up with Racer airframe 3 for the sake of an epic dick around.

Problem is, how to share out a map of the checkpoints and then adjudicate that people have crossed them. The fastest route from point A to point B in a Mosquito is probably in an arc similar to a civilian air liner. Does anyone have any ideas? I could easily publish a set of screenshots that show the 30 or so 'route gates' (think Just Cause 2) that would make up a decent race. But having 30 people stand around to watch the pilots go through them is no fun...

Now I've run out of steam... Air race! make it happen! Imagine a peaceful, ordinary war being fought when fourty mosquitoes bundle through on a tight line for some unknown mission, exploding on scenery and generally flipping out. Imagine the madness.
    Killing threads since Quake Three...

I was musing about this and thought having a gentleman's agreement of a flight ceiling of 50m on your reaver dashboard, then no probs because we are all gentlemen and women.

We've flash raced before and people have been able to remember the routes with no problems; maybe 30 points is too much to remember, think of a set of more punchy races than a full-on marathon for the first session in my opinion. I'd be up for this, more so in galaxies to be honest, that would be even more amazing, with no perks installed on a gentleman's agreement once again, and no need for adjudicators if there were a 3415th gentleman's agreement there too.

Activated Node
    Galaxy would certainly be more survivable and thus more likely to complete the race.
    Flying at low altitude you can lose an ESF pretty quickly these days so we might end up with nobody finishing.

We could have impartial judges and make the waypoints at towers (or biolabs, tech pads etc, with landing pads).
    You would have to fly past each tower and then the judges could stand on the landing pads and check everyone who flew past (assuming there isn't a crazy number of contestants).
    If we were all in a squad or platoon, then we could use squad/platoon waypoints to mark the next tower also.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Sorry to double post but our latest filthy vanu fun night out was relevant to your plans;

Race all the things!

Galaxies plus 50m flight ceiling cannot fail to disappoint. Simply setting a destination and letting people decide the route could work as everyone will pick the most direct route - in this case it would help if the destination was, say, VS warpgate via the TR warpgate to make it suitably unlikely anyone would finish. I'm suggesting that partly as I seem to lose all sense of direction if I get even slightly distracted in the air.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    The problem with height ceilings is that they're based on sea level, not terrain level, aren't they?
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    The best way to galaxy about: Indar, fly through the smallest canyons possible in a tight line.

m-gor: I think "hugging the trees / cactii things / ice at all times" would be the best guideline there.

Pauly: Galaxy conga? Oh, yes! Would be awesome but sadly unlikely if everyone had the auto-repair certed and just kept on going until their inevitable demise. Majestic yet powerful, like the whales from Dishonored (reminds me... still need to complete that game).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eltdown View Post
    Majestic yet powerful, like the whales from Dishonored (reminds me... still need to complete that game).
    Reminds me that I need to install and play that game sometime...

Activated Node
    Just looking at the VR zone information in another thread and I noticed it will have a Flash race track!

Hopefully there will be enough space for some air races too.

Also we'll be able to equip all the upgrades on vehicles in VR... go, go speed-enhanced flashes with rocket boosters!

I had a go recently at low flying a mossie NW to SE Indar and it was pretty much loaded with possibility (I got about half way before a scythe picked me up). In a galaxy, it would be mental. Perhaps we could try it out - Indar on Monday night (to join in with Vanu Monday Madness) with the NC and VS outfits joining up in one platoon of Galaxies.

Then just set a waypoint and a couple rules: be low to the ground, points for tricks and gaps.
    Killing threads since Quake Three...