Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AMD or Intel for my next build?

Hey guys I've noticed that my computer is not top dog ( really just feeling sluggish ) any more and I'm looking at going to try and do some upgrades, I currently have an asrock Penryn1600SLI-110dB Mobo with 4 gig of DDR 2, an intel q6700 OC'd to 3.35 Ghz 2 x 500 GB 5600 RPM HDDs, and a 450 GTS graphics card. The only things I really want to change are the MOBO, the processor and the Ram. And before you ask yes, I have fiddled with MSCONFIG and gone through all the processes I don't need running permanently to try and speed it up, I have also used a registry cleaner and the machine is basically reasonably well kept. But anyway, Back to topic.

I'm tempted to jump across to AMD and go for the Hex core 1100T because ive been reading up and it has some awesome reviews.... and surely 6 cores are better than 4 right?

or I have the choice of going for a 2500k as that's in a similar price range.... which has been receiving also equally good reviews.

I just don't really have a clue which to go for.

And with your recommendation could you also point me out some good motherboards because this will be my first solo build (as the last build was with my dad but he is in china for 3 months so "I'm Ridin' solo") and well. I don't have a clue really what to look for in a motherboard. having a price range of around 75-120 And also could you give a suitable suggestion ram Kit for around 50-75 please.

This rig will mostly be used for A lot of stuff really. mostly gaming but also the occasional photoshop work, and some Audio Work Via Traktor.

Thanks in advance,

Slick_101
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Obscure Node
    The 2500K is where it's at at the moment, especially if you are inclined to overclock the chip. It really is insanely good value for the performance. Given the strength of the Sandy Bridge lineup, I wouldn't even consider AMD right now.

As for a motherboard... what features do you need? Are you planning to overclock? Do you need SLI? Do you want a full-size board or mATX?

I could see myself going to do SLI with my 450 GTS as it would most probably be cheaper down the line and having SLI rather than going for a 500 series card(or even a 600 series card when they are released)
    If I have the 2500k then yeah I'm going to be overclocking.
    And yeah, the mobo can be full sized (sorry I didn't put that in the description).

Until Bulldozer, 2500k is 100% the way to go. The current AMD hex cores are decent, but fall far short of Intel's performance in games and mainstream applications, and only just pip them in 6 threaded tasks.

If you're mostly gaming, your gpu is going to be a bottleneck regardless of what cpu you upgrade to. I'd seriously considering upgrading the card (or going SLI). The GTS 450 is slightly weaker than a 5770, but GTS 450 SLI is on par with a 5850 in most games. Excellent scaling :).

Obscure Node
    If you're planning to overclock, you'll need a P67 board - the H67 and (I believe, though I'm not 100% sure on this one) the Z68 boards don't support overclocking. I've got an Asus P8P67 Pro for my 2500K but that's a bit outside your budget at 140 or so. Problem with the Asus P67 range is that the standard P8P67 board (about 120) doesn't support SLI while the LE version has severe issues with overclocking. I bought one initially and had to return it when it kept rebooting when the standard Turbo Boost turned on.

The cheapest board I can find with the feature set you want is the Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3 which, according to reviews I've read is as good if not better as the Asus boards in terms of performance but has a rater old skool BIOS interface: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/265918

The H67 chipset is multiplier locked, you get only stock speeds, but can use the onboard graphics if you wish.

The P67 is multiplier unlocked, so you can overclock it. This comes at the expense of being unable to use onboard graphics. As you've overclocked your old system and have a dedicated graphics card, this is the chipset you should be looking at.

The Z68 supports overclocking, whilst still retaining the onboard graphics capability of the Sandy Bridge chipset. There are a couple of other features, such as SSD caching, but you won't really use most of them.

AMD's Bulldozer offerings have been delayed, and whilst they sound fantastic for servers (especially cloud based or VPS ones) I'm not yet convinced it'll be ideal for games, which tend to have a single very demanding thread then a couple of less onerous ones. So I'd go with Intel for now.

One thing you should consider is overclocked bundles. Places like OCUK and possibly Scan will sell barebones kits (CPU, Cooler, RAM, Mobo) which have been tested to various speeds (e.g. 4.5 GHz for a i5-2500K) for very little overhead compared to buying the components individually.

UEFI is not really a massive step up over BIOS, so this should not govern your decision on Gigabyte/ASUS/MSI/EVGA/etc.

The 2500k is fantastic. There's really no reason not to overclock it given how easy that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    The 2500k is fantastic. There's really no reason not to overclock it given how easy that is.
    There is one very small issue with overclocking (excluding electricity costs) - the machine will not recover from sleep if overclocked, due to a bug somewhere in the intel chipsets.

I admit, I don't use sleep or hibernate, so I've not followed it closely and it may have been fixed by intel INFs or motherboard BIOS updates. It's one of the niggles that plagued the Sandybridge launch.

Obscure Node
    It's becoming less and less true, but 6 cores doesn't always mean better. It usually does, though. But in order to really gain from the cores, the application itself has to acknowledge it.

The question do you want to do to yourself is this: Bang for the buck or Raw POWAH!. If you choose the latter, Intel. The former, AMD.
    If you like prog rock, then you're with me. If you dont, you are against.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLizard View Post
    The question do you want to do to yourself is this: Bang for the buck or Raw POWAH!. If you choose the latter, Intel. The former, AMD.
    I'd disagree there, to be honest. I'd say Intel would be the way to go in both cases.

Still, 2500K seems cheap but you do need to factor in that all the motherboards are quite pricey too compared to AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by [UW] View Post
    I'd disagree there, to be honest. I'd say Intel would be the way to go in both cases.

Still, 2500K seems cheap but you do need to factor in that all the motherboards are quite pricey too compared to AMD.
    As you said. I didn't want to say only the CPU, but the whole platform. Normally, Feature packed AMD boards are cheaper than their Intel counterparts. Thus, in performance & features wise, you can get a pretty good deal with AMD.

Funny part of this: My pc is Intel :O
    If you like prog rock, then you're with me. If you dont, you are against.

Okay, So I've taken Yodith's advice on the i5 2500k and Nullkigan's Advice and jumped on the OCUK and I've seen two bundles,
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...39&subcat=1802

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...39&subcat=1802

the difference in price is only 20 when they are out of sale (and well. I don't have 425 pounds ready to go yet so I can't buy either at the moment or I might buy it in stages and just over clock it myself....Not sure yet)

the only difference is that one board is an Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 and the other is a Gigabyte Z68X-UD4 B3, I've been just been searching around for a few hours and the reviews say that the boards are equally good.... Any of you guys have a insight?
    Last edited by slick_101; 04-06-2011 at 08:14 PM.

That's the same bundles I'm looking at!

I wouldn't be able to buy each piece separately as looking at them all incomplete would drive me nuts.

I'm very much interested in the opinion on the boards since I'm likely to get one of these soon enough!

Obscure Node
    As I said above I have the Asus P67P8 Pro and can recommend it. It's a very well featured board that has all the features I need.

This basket below is my current setup, available from Scan. 12 cheaper than OCUK with double the amount of RAM, a better cooler and including delivery.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yodith. You are a genius! And with that I can probably get a case in with my budget (I set it at roughly 450-500). Don't suppose you can tell me what case you have as well?

Gigabyte have better support than Asus, generally speaking. I do have an Asus myself, but I'm pretty much in the camp of "never, ever, again" after the terrible initial set of BIOS files.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodith View Post
    As I said above I have the Asus P67P8 Pro and can recommend it. It's a very well featured board that has all the features I need.

This basket below is my current setup, available from Scan. 12 cheaper than OCUK with double the amount of RAM, a better cooler and including delivery.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    This batch is not cherry picked for overclocking - you might get unlucky and get a cpu that can only hit 4 GHz.

If you're building for yourself you'll want Corsair Vengance ram, not XMS3. Sandybridge is very sensitive to voltages, and 1.5V is recommended. 1.65V is at the very upper limit before you even get into overclocking. XMS3 was designed for the old i7 systems and runs at a higher voltage because of this. I don't know anything about the sticks in the OCUK bundle, but would assume they are also 1.5V.

The Frio is a nice enough cooler which comes with some good thermal paste, but it sounds like a jet engine. I swapped out my stock fans for some quieter Akasa Vipers, which are slightly less powerful but are much quieter and ramp up with CPU usage. You'll also want a PWM splitter cable to connect both fans to the same input, and have them run at the same speed for optimal cooling efficiency.

I myself have a HAF-X case. It was absolutely wonderful to work with, and supports the full range of different GPU and PSU sizes whilst having an excellent finish that doesn't have sharp edges. The photographs do it no justice. You also don't really need any additional fans. It is, however, probably overkill. Unfortunately, I'm not up to date on alternatives. The Antec 18X, Sonata and 900/1200 series are all meant to be very good, but it'd be worth hitting a few review sites to find out what is currently (not) hot.

Edit: OCUK vs Scan -

I've had to return more parts to Scan, but it's generally been easier to do.

OCUK returns department have no initiative (their handling of Cougar Point was pretty bad) and should your account get locked out for any reason (e.g. your e-mail address has been deleted and you didn't write down the password) you are completely and utterly fucked. I sent several emails over the course of several weeks until they started ignoring me and now I can't actually buy from them again.

The range of goods they stock doesn't always overlap, either. You can also look at Aria, Ebuyer, Dabs and Tekheads, who I have used in the very distant past. Shop around for a good deal, abuse 'today only' offers, and watch out for delivery costs.
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 04-06-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Cheers Nullkigan for the heads up. hopefully I shall be able to get my RIG within the next few months.

Do you plan on doing any video encoding at all? because if you do I would recommend getting a z68 board so you can use the integrated graphics on the cpu which is much faster than any discrete card.

Wasn't able to jump on to the links you posted Nullkigan until now as I'm now on my computer rather than a crap-pod touch.
    The cable seems like a great idea and will probably buy one soonish for my current system and just re-use it with my next build. I'm Very confused though at all the ram and stuff. Which one would you go for under 80? What's the difference between Corsair Vengeance and Corsair Vengeance blue?

And to Answer The last Baron. I will not be using this rig for stuff like that, just some photoshop stuff ( just little bits nothing big), audio software and predominately gaming.