Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    In truth the greatest factor is the people crewing the ship, generally you will be more skilled than your opponents, still new ships are a good goal! Get yourself a wee fleet going.

Network Hub
    Ok, quick update: dog stat blocks have been uploaded to the folder for those with canine companions (note for Lowkey: while riding the Professor, you'll need to make a Handle Animal check each turn you want to attack. DC15 or 18, IIRC). Also, the setting details have been revised to provide a description of each realm marked on the map. The Republic got a bit more b/c you'll be spending more time there initially.

I will be out of town the next couple of days (anniversary celebration and whatnot), so I won't be around much if at all online. We're still go for Sunday unless someone cannot attend.

Congratulations to and yours! Handsome stats for my handsome pup an- wait, i can get barding for snuggle face?

Network Hub
    Such a thing does exist, although I would have to check the book for pricing and such. They vary from light to heavy and have a corresponding effect on the mount's movement speed.

I don't know if it's just my browser, but text files shown in the browser aren't getting line-wrapped which makes 'em a bit hard to read.

I'd suggest putting them in a rudimentary html file inside a <p></p> block

That said, cool setting details. I like the condescending paternalism of the Republic; that's what I look for in my steampunkiness ;)
    Last edited by Harlander; 20-03-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Can I spend more money to make my dog a level 3 dog or something?

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Congratulations to and yours! Handsome stats for my handsome pup an- wait, i can get barding for snuggle face?
    Yes, according to X_kots stats snuggleface is a medium animal so their barding is standard human armour but costs twice as much, scale is DR4 and costs 100gp while fullplate is DR 8 and costs 3000gps for example. Its on page 162-163 of the player handbook. Theoretically you could get some magical barding....
    Last edited by palindrome; 20-03-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Network Hub
    Thanks, all! I've reformatted the description with some basic html tags to make it easier to parse.

@PW, yes, I recall your earlier request to soup up your pup. Buying 3 levels for the 80g budget you have is a bit much, but how does this sound: for that money, your canine will get most of the benefits from the Feral template.

* Endure elements: Comfortable b/w -40 and 140 degrees F.
    * Feral senses: Darkvision, +5 Perception
    * Physically fit: +5 Acrobatics and Athletics
    * Toughness: +3 wounds

When I return on Saturday, I'll double check everyone's character sheets and leave notes about any necessary changes. If you have any alterations to make, please have 'em done by then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I am pretty happy with Nemo as is, at least I can't imagine what else he'll need right now.

---

Very off-topic and kind-of-sad note:

Chris Perkins' weekly column on Wizards' DnD site has come to an end as of today. :(

"The Dungeon Master Experience" has been, for the past couple of years, the best free content on the official site and the main reason to visit there at all. His anecdotes and insight - and his raw imagination - are a font of inspiration. He has a method of DMing which meshed really well with the pacing of 4e and I'm sad we won't get to read how he gets on with Next - at least, not for the foreseeable future.

Quite fittingly for his final piece, he decided to post up the campaign bible for his next DnD campaign, Valoreign. You can download it from the above link and damn, it's a fantastic idea as ever. A high fantasy take on Arthurian legend with magic taking a slight post-apocalyptic vibe and lots of intrigue.

I just thought I'd give his work a shout-out, in case you were interested/bored enough to read a campaign bible.

Other links:
    • The column archives are here.
    • The wiki for his 4e campaign world, Iomandra, is here. It's a setting for high-seas adventure in a flooded world and I soooooooo want to run a campaign in this setting (or some variation of it) some day.
    • A short-run DnD Podcast (where he DMed for the Penny Arcade/PvP guys) is here. It's both very entertaining and a good into for the 4e rules, and is what inspired me to give that edition a try, and to get back in the DMing game in the first place.

So, yeah. I'll miss Perkins.

*ahem*

Has anyone heard anything from Egg regarding this?

Egg, have you heard anything from yourself about this?

Also: I just read Cathal Dubh's background.

"I have combined the DNA of the world's most evil animals to create the most evil creature of them all!"
    "Turns out it's man."
    Last edited by Harlander; 23-03-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    "Turns out it's man."
    Unfortunately not, humans don't have nearly enough tentacles and their natural weaponry and defenses are distinctly unimpressive. A suitably modified human brain may well serve as the core around which far more impressive frame could be built; this needs further research.
    Last edited by palindrome; 23-03-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by X_kot View Post
    Thanks, all! I've reformatted the description with some basic html tags to make it easier to parse.

@PW, yes, I recall your earlier request to soup up your pup. Buying 3 levels for the 80g budget you have is a bit much, but how does this sound: for that money, your canine will get most of the benefits from the Feral template.

* Endure elements: Comfortable b/w -40 and 140 degrees F.
    * Feral senses: Darkvision, +5 Perception
    * Physically fit: +5 Acrobatics and Athletics
    * Toughness: +3 wounds

When I return on Saturday, I'll double check everyone's character sheets and leave notes about any necessary changes. If you have any alterations to make, please have 'em done by then.
    Sounds good. Can I also include him being trained to track, and to heel?

Network Hub
    Hello again, all - I have returned in one piece (my wallet, not so much). I've reviewed everyone's character sheets: small tweaks for things like inventory slots or faith points were amended, whereas notes were left for ambiguous or problematic things I found. We're looking to be in good shape, although Egg remains unaccounted for. I'll message him on Steam if I can.

One thing I'll want everyone to decide is their character's level of upkeep (see page 153). Mark your choice on the second page in the Wealth box. There will be corresponding benefits and downsides of each one; think of it like Lifestyles from Shadowrun.

PW, Sure, tracking and heeling are fine. Because "dog" is semi-feral, he'll only obey you.

Thanks for the link, Screwie! I haven't read many of his articles, but I intend to browse some.

Cable's upkeep is a bit of a fiddly one. He doesn't eat or sleep so food and lodging aren't really a consideration. I guess there's some kind of routine maintenance cost (oil and varnish?) Self-sufficient?

Network Hub
    Yeah, upkeep will represent the materials you use for maintenance (such as Mechanics rolls): fluids, scrap, wiring, etc. Don't feel compelled to put much here, though if you decide to put a lot in, I'll give you some kind of bonus.

I went for good upkeep and as such have sold my fairly extravegent spyglass, however this means I have 325gp kicking around, how much can I carry around and is it worth putting down a down payment on my upkeep (so brining me to 225)?

Network Hub
    You can always have letters of credit, jewelry, etc. rather than keeping them all in coins. If you want to prepay upkeep, we'll say that you've done some favors for/have connections with local provisioners.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Jeez, the gnome culture must be loaded with money!

I went with Poor upkeep so (even without the spoils of adventure or a living wage) at the very least I could easily sustain myself on my monthly stipend. The excess money will be spent on travel, the occasional fancy meal or accommodation, celebratory parties and sacrifices for Iris.

Just to clarify:

1. A few of my abilities are marked as magical in nature, but sound like they should be on all the time (Speak with Aquatic Aninmals, Elemental Lore, Endure Elements). These are always on and don't cost vitality to use, right?

2. Do we add our STR mod to damage from thrown weapons?
    Last edited by Screwie; 24-03-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Network Hub
    1. The ones you cite do function continuously and do not cost vitality. The "magical" designator is important for (a) magic items and (b) abilities that refer to "magical abilities." For example, see the Hunter theme.

2. Yes, do add STR bonus to thrown weapons.

EDIT: Egg has created a kobold rogue known as "Egg." He's got a mysterious background, so we ask that you not read his character sheet.
    Last edited by X_kot; 24-03-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Looks like x_kot has already beaten me to announcing my character's existence. I'll write up a spoiler-free and spoiler-full background tomorrow. It's up to you whether to read it or not, but I'd ask you play assuming that your character doesn't know much about me.
    Last edited by egg651; 24-03-2013 at 01:50 AM.
    Unacosamedarisa: Egg, kiss me, you're beautiful.