Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Was that all right for you guys? Want to do it again next week?
    Got any constructive criticism?

It was fun, yeah

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I would have liked to see more spiders! It doesn't take 6 cowboys to kill 3 baddies, especially when their entry into the battle is staggered. There was nothing left for me :(

Aside from that minor niggle I had a very fun time. PW handled Roll20 with mastery, and the music was awesome.

And kudos is due for those awesome campfire stories, it raised a bar.

I should maybe have added a spider to reflect the large number of cowboys, but it was mostly a scene-setting and getting used to the rules fight. Egg still ended up paralysed though, but luckily it wore off.
    Those were some pretty spectacular campfire tales. If we keep going with this I'm sure you'll all get a chance to tell one; don't get stage fright just because two of our better storytellers got the first go. You can do a short, simple tale if you like.

The spiders would have left you all alone if you hadn't attacked them, by the way. They just wanted to snack on some cows. The second spider was specifically written to only come into play when someone moved towards the cows, and since you stood still and shot (and zapped) them it didn't enter the fight til the others were dead.

Harlander's lightning gun is pretty impressive - although as I understand the rules that Ghost Rock technology does have a pesky habit of occasionally exploding.

If you had managed to break the unbreakable horse you'd have got a steed with warhorse stats instead of normal stats, and Luke Canton would have given her to you for your very own. Turned out that even the best efforts of Mad Science and cowboy grit couldn't break her though - although maybe if you'd used the horse hypnotiser ray on Egg to up his stats as well as lower hers...

I'm pretty sure that the way the fate chips work Egg should have been allowed to choose his original non-critical fail roll instead of the snake eyes he rerolled, but I figured it made for a better dramatic moment if his saddle girth snapped.

Turns out I'd prepared far too many maps - but next week the session should move a bit faster.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 29-04-2013 at 10:54 AM.

I'm happy to stick with this setting. I would, however, prefer it if we stuck to one system for at least a few weeks at a time, as it is we have 3 (realistically 2) on the go at once and I find that it monkeys with character building.

I will definitely be around this Sunday and for the following 2 weeks I will be in Birmingham for yet another course so I will be dependent upon my hotels WiFi connection (from experience I don't have much hope).

Don't worry about things moving slowly at first, it is a new system for everyone after all. Criticism wise I think that we could have had more foreknowledge of the campfire stories so that people don't have to cuff it with possibly unfamiliar characters. Obviously we know now though:)

Also I literally couldn't leave the spidies alone, I have the curious hindrance and have to investigate anything and everything that catches my eye, its just as well that I can shoot straight :)
    Last edited by palindrome; 29-04-2013 at 05:24 PM.

I'm happy to run this one for a whole adventure, and there are a handful of one shots I could do for 'skip days'. Let's see how people enjoy it over the next few weeks.
    I'm not sure if 'curious' really applies there - "yep, definitely a spider" pretty much covers it. I did rather enjoy the way you roleplayed your "mean" hindrance in the introduction though, gave me a chuckle. "How far is it to the town? Six miles? You can walk it then" as the buckboard slowly trots past and X-kot hastly unties his lead rope and says "you can ride my horse into town" as he disappears off over the rise.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    I'm not sure if 'curious' really applies there - "yep, definitely a spider" pretty much covers it.
    I was thinking more along the lines of what a strangley large spider, I wonder where it came from and if there are any others...The fact that it was about to eat our newly found cow simply meant that I was forced to investigate though the medium of a .45 caliber lump of lead rather than a stick to poke it with. I think I may have a limited life expectancy......

We'll see - you do get a surprisingly refillable number of fate chips to soak damage (although if I remember the rules it's a roll rather than a guaranteed bullet-catcher) or to reroll dice rolls that don't go your way - although I also get a shit-pot of them to influence my dice rolls in a more murderous direction, and extra ones to try to keep my less mooky NPCs alive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Aye it was fun times, however I am also keen to continue with Radiance, perhaps we could alternate between weeks or something?

Personally I would like to see 2-3 weeks per game (depending on what is going on and where the natural break points are). I'm not a fan of week on/week off as it breaks the continuity too much. To be honest I would prefer to continue with Deadlands for a while as I some (evil?????)ideas I would like to explore.

You can set up all your dice rolls in your character journal by the way. You just need to edit your abilities and put the dice roll in the text box (/r {1d4!,1d6!}kh1) for example) and then all you need to do is click on the wee dice icon next to the ability, or set up the macro bar, and it does all the work.
    Last edited by palindrome; 29-04-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Network Hub
    I had a great time, PW. The session felt like a good tutorial for how things play out, so we'll be more ready for the big fights to come. As for scheduling, I don't mind sticking with Deadlands for awhile - I'm very much a gaming dilettante who's more than happy to sample all sorts of systems. And yes, +1 to the macro researchers. This will make everything a lot faster.

Aye it would be nicer to stick with one game for the duration of a quest/adventure/episode (as opposed to a full campaign), then maybe switch.
    Last edited by Screwie; 30-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.

If I cut down on random encounters we should be able to do a nice self-contained adventure in three or four weeks; if we like that then after a month or two of Radiance we can continue onwards with the story arc.
    There are also one shots for those days when Xkot can't do Radiance or we're short of people; we can always do a "these four guys are headed into town on a supply run when..." type monster-of-the-week bottle episode.

Roll20 is one year old! Woo!

There's now a wiki, and Mentor-level subscribers now get access to the Roll20 API for advanced scripting and modding. Neat!

Are we doin' this tonight?

hells yeah

Darn, I forgot to buy some beer so I can be authentically lushed. I should go shopping.

I will be there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Darn, I forgot to buy some beer so I can be authentically lushed. I should go shopping.
    Whiskeys on you.

lowkey's going to be 20 minutes late, so everyone else can feel free to trickle in for about ten past (Egg won't be reading this anyway, but on the off chance you are, you should aim for 8 o'clock)

After action report (5th May)

Previously on Deadlands: Blood Drive

Arriving in the no-horse town of Sutter's Flats the various members of our party have been signed on by Bill Sutter of the Lazy S ranch as extra hands for his planned cattle drive. He has over a thousand head of cattle, but the prices the Bayou Vermilion railroad company are offering him are an insult to daylight robbery; everyone else in the area is too intimidated to buy his cattle, and Bayou Vermilion won't let him ship them out on their rails, so his only alternative is to gather his herd and drive them North. He's aiming for Roswell, to try to sell his cows at the Confederate base there.
    Bayou Vermilion's gun-thug, Bartholomew Phelps visited the ranch yesterday with some rough-looking gunmen and a renegade Indian shaman, throwing threats and sneers around; Sutter's moved up his timetable for heading out, hoping to hit the trail before Bayou Vermilion start to drive off his cattle, or pick off his cowboys.

It's a beautiful spring day in Texas and the air is bright and clean. The preparations for departure are nearly complete; some supplies are still needed, so Sutter sends his niece, Abigail Morton, into town with the buckboard to pick them up. Egg Shen's nowhere to be found, so the party head off without him.

A couple of our protagonists head inside to help Miss Abby with the supplies, while the rest stay outside keeping an eye on things - an eye that soon picks up the scent of trouble! Bartholomew Phelps is here, and he's backed up by half a dozen Bayou Vermilion gunmen.

Phelps braces the party members who are outside, asking where their Chinee gunslinger is. He seems rather disappointed not to have the chance to face off against a fellow gunslinger, but asks if any of the others want to step up and take Egg's place.
    We'll never know what might have happened had someone fought him; instead the Mormon holy man attempts to talk to Phelps and arrange a peaceful solution.

Phelps isn't much for talkin' when he could be shootin' - he shouts to his boys to open fire, and grabs for his smokewagon!

Before even this quick-draw artist can skin his pistols, however, William Jennings, scientist extraordinaire, has demonstrated the wonders of electricity. It's unlike such a bookish man to issue blood-curdling threats, but his heart-felt description of the abilities of his weapon, coupled with the effect of having the very lightning gun pointed directly at him from less than ten feet away, rocks Phelps back a step. The massive bolt of electricity that follows shows that Jennings wasn't exaggerating; it cooks Phelps where he stands, and leaves a steaming corpse on its knees in the street. There is a brief, shocked, pause, and then

There is a firefight!

Jennings takes a fusillade of bullets including a nasty wound to the gut that takes him out of the action. Stockton's prayers create an invisible shield in front of him, but there's a gunman behind him and Stockton's quickly wounded. The disgraced reporter, Artemus Gordon, travelling the West in search of a story to redeem himself, finds a bullet instead. He's wounded, but still able to drag Jennings off the porch and inside. Kannavagh the drifter is a man of few words; he hunkers down in decent cover and lets his rifle do the talking. He's not going to stand around in the open and get shot like those easterners.
    Things are looking pretty bleak for our party, with most of them wounded or incapacitated and most of their attackers unshaken, but things change pretty quickly when the gambler Jessie Odenkirk and Miss Abby wade into the fray. They hadn't even realised there was a fight, but the fusillade of gunshots and Gordon dragging the unconscious body of Jennings into the store was something of a clue.

The gambler steps through the back door and throws two playing cards at the gunman who backshot Stockton - something wierd's going on here, as they fly straight and true and hit him harder than bullets from a colt 45. Miss Abby takes cover on the porch and shoots one of the gunmen who'd hit Jennings, taking him out of the fight. Kannavagh's rifle is taking its toll too, and he's lying down and forted up, peeking round the side of a building and making himself a very hard target. After a few more shots from either side the gunmen decide to make a break for it, but before they can take to their heels the gambler nearly decapitates another with another thrown card.
    Only one of the gunmen makes it to his horse and out of town; to the disgust or dismay of a couple of his associates, Micky Kannavagh takes the opportunity to finish off the two gunmen who were only wounded.

Half our party are nursing serious wounds, and Jennings is currently too weak to sit a horse or shoot a gun, but they've defeated the gunmen and saved Abby, and they've killed the veteran gunslinger Bartholomew Phelps.

It's time to get this cattle drive on the trail - Bayou Vermilion have lost their representative, and they've lost face too. They're bound to want payback.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 06-05-2013 at 01:42 AM.