Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Regarding my weaponry, you said earlier in the thread that firearms were uncommon (which makes them cost 20% of their listed value) which means that the cost of both my masterwork firearms and 5 boxes of ammo is 800gp. My armour etc leaves me with 4gp out of my 150 starting gold.

Did you mean uncommon, or uncommon :)

My upkeep is typically good (or self sufficient or extravagant depending on what I am doing and where I am doing it), at the moment though I am having to make do with poor accomodation having spent the majority of my available funds. I own several semi valuable patents which I license and I have part ownership of a munitions factory in Falreath which is what finances me on my expeditions but I am only able to access these funds irregularly due to my itinerant lifestyle.
    Last edited by palindrome; 24-03-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by egg651 View Post
    Looks like x_kot has already beaten me to announcing my character's existence. I'll write up a spoiler-free and spoiler-full background tomorrow. It's up to you whether to read it or not, but I'd ask you play assuming that your character doesn't know much about me.
    WHAT'S THIS? 0_o
    EGG HAS MADE A CHARACTER SHEET AHEAD OF TIME? AND WITH CONSIDERABLE THOUGHT TOO BY THE SOUND OF IT! I AM SO ASTOUNDED I AM TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS.
    This is either a really good omen for our Radiance campaign, or a sign of the End Times.

With regard to upkeep, I figure I have a salary from the Society as a wilderness guide/caravan guard for expeditions, and they give me room and board and a little spending cash. I put Common for the level, as when I'm not on society business I'd expect to get served in the inn common room and have the same sleeping accommodations as everyone else. although on society business I'd expect a per diem when in civilisation, in return for keeping everyone warm and dry and fed and alive in the deep woods.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 24-03-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by X_kot View Post
    2. Yes, do add STR bonus to thrown weapons.
    Thanks. I'm assuming damage from spells gets no stat modifier, right?

Network Hub
    palindrome: Ah, I see the superscript now! When I had said they were uncommon, I hadn't realized that there was specific language for that; my apologies. 20% of list price seems a tad too high a discount, so let's say firearms are 50% of list price (that keeps it competitive with crossbows).

Screwie: That's correct. On the plus side, you could pretend that you're the protagonist from a Persona game. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by X_kot View Post
    (that keeps it competitive with crossbows).
    Well even at 20% cost the hunting rifle does slightly more damage and has a slightly longer range (as well as a 5 round magazine) for twice the price of a heavy crossbow which has a double crit range and is silent. It looks pretty balanced to me.

I have dropped the masterwork from the revolver and chucked another 10 ammo boxes on my mule.

I think I will change my background (slightly). The reason for my lack of equipment is that I have just returned from an unproductive solo expedition in which the pack mule carrying the majority of my electrotech devices as well as my own horse were lost (the former to a river in spate and the latter to an infected wound) leaving me with nothing but what I was carrying on my person and my second pack mule which has my ammunition supply and my sample collection apparatus.
    Last edited by palindrome; 24-03-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Network Hub
    I see your point, palindrome; however, note that the price difference between the heavy crossbow and the repeating heavy crossbow is a factor of 8. The ability to fire five times in a row without needing to reload is more valuable than an extended crit range. The plain crossbow is still a good option for its price, just maybe not as a primary weapon.

Way to screw me over, palindrome, now I can't afford a musket.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Way to screw me over, palindrome, now I can't afford a musket.
    The musket is mince anyway, you can only fire it ever 2 turns.

I don't care if it's rubbish.

What kind of steampunk infantry uses crossbows? None that's worth mentioning, that's what kind.

It's obviously got a clockwork windlass...or something.

I will be around next week (31st) but definitely away on the 7th and I may be back on the 14th. I will be away in York for a couple of weeks due to work which will see me waste vast quantities of time doing nothing useful to anyone.
    Last edited by palindrome; 24-03-2013 at 11:01 PM.

A question that occured to me after yesterday's session:

Just how do Warmechs regain vitality? Daily Healing talks about gaining level * con mod after 6hrs sleep, but warmechs don't sleep. The self-repair or being fixed by someone else removes wound damage.

That was much fun last night. I particularly liked the part where the spider blunted its own fangs on the robot :)

(Although I can't wait to level up and have more skills than my variable-element pew pew laser to play with!)

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    It's obviously got a clockwork windlass...or something.

I will be around next week (31st) but definitely away on the 7th and I may be back on the 14th. I will be away in York for a couple of weeks due to work which will see me waste vast quantities of time doing nothing useful to anyone.
    If you're in a hotel and have a laptop or tablet and internet access you could conceivably still do game night with us. Or will you be cut off from all internet for a couple of weeks? A dreadful fate.

There's iphone and android versions of mumble, so you could concievably use them on your handheld mobile telephony device if you've one of those sorts.

Roll20 is probably a different matter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Oooh interesting, and yes it was much fun, looking forward to a wider range of spells (although i think i can only have 2 + magic missle at one time and should probably get mage armour)

Well I get the benefits of bonus vitality points but even I was running low towards the end of that little venture - and I haven't been injured at all yet!

I blame the rest of you for not hitting the spider enough.

(And lounging around in that comfy-looking web while some of us do all the work...)
    Last edited by Screwie; 25-03-2013 at 01:55 PM.

I killed the spider, and my dog bit it as well. He's a good dog.

Network Hub
    Thanks, everyone, for the great session! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, too. The cavern is probably a bit too big (I blame the 60+ hours of Persona 4 I've been playing this month), but it does have a purpose. We'll start back up next month after people do their holiday and travel things.

Side note: All maps that I use start out as randomly generated files created here: http://donjon.bin.sh/. I tweak them afterward so that they don't look too strange. The site is an amazing resource for the artistically challenged, like me.

Harlander, that is a good question because it is never specifically addressed anywhere. Let us say that warmechs regain their vitality quota once every 24h; the time corresponds to the exact moment they came into being (whatever time you prefer is fine).

Lore bits:

* Particularly pious mechs say a prayer to Mithrais when they revitalize, although older models tend to thank their creator.
    * Warmech battalions tend to have creation times within five minutes of each other; commanders often time crucial attacks when their units refresh.

Is there a short rest mechanic whereby we can regain some vitality, or is it strictly a daily resource?

---

Since I have Friday off, I have time to put together a one-shot quickie 4th Edition DnD adventure for Sunday as filler. I'm keen to get a hang of DMing over Roll20 and I loves me some tactical grid combats.

That is, if folks are interested.