Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    I will be a local hunter called something random and fitting for the locality. A random name generator came up with Isr Polk so that will probably suffice.

Rogdash the Dragonborn! He's a wanderer from parts unknown.

"I'm not from here! I have my own customs! Look at my craaazy passport!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    "Parker", apparently the URL doesn't count towards 10 characters.

I will be away next weekend, probably back the week after (but I won't know until the Friday at the earliest) and away again the following week. Definately away on the 7th and the 21st, probably back on the 14th.

My copy of Stars of Inquity for Rogue Trader (which has rules for planetary shenanigans) turned up so I made a star system which I have helpfully put into the dropbox for your perusal.
    Last edited by palindrome; 01-04-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Had a good time on Sunday Screwie, thanks for GMing it for us. The system's definitely a bit on the "I will do a cool thing this turn!" "Now I will do my cool thing!" side, but I still managed to get semi-killed by an ogre so there was enough risk to make it enjoyable.
    I definitely think 4e is a bit trying-too-hard - I think I get more enjoyment from organically making cool things happen than just tapping a 'cool ability 2b' card for the encounter - but I'd definitely play those characters and that system again.

So - how many people will we have on Sunday? Can we do Radiance without Palindrome? It's explore a cave, fight a beastie, maybe explore a mine, by the looks of it - are you all right to miss out on that, in the interests of keeping the story going?

I'll be about if you decide to do some Radiance. (I'll be about even if you don't actually.)

It kinda sucks to miss a session; on the other hand, my realside RPG club carries on if people don't turn up (unless it's all of them..) but anyway, I dunno

I agree it does suck to miss a session, but at least it's not the first session. It would have triple-sucked for anyone to miss that one. I think we've got enough people in the group that we can have a good session even if one's missing (unless he's the GM); we've also got enough people that we're considerably more likely to have one missing in any given session.
    If Palindrome's not all right with it I'll happily go with one of the fallback ones, but ideally I'd like to crack on with the main one, which is Radiance right now. (I'm also finding I am enjoying the system a bit more than Rogue Trader, but again I'll happily go with that one because it's many miles better than not playing an RPG on pen and paper mumble night).

I found out today that not only am I going up to York early (0615 tomorrow morning, yay) I may be staying until the 18th as well which means that I may miss the next 3 Sundays. I am perfectly happy for you to carry on with Radiance (as long as I get enough token shinys and exp to keep me viable). As my rifle exploded in my face towards the end of the last session I was obviously rendered hors de combat and will need some time to recover.

For a second there I thought an actual rifle had exploded in your face. Bit of a relief when I realised we were talking about Radiance again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    If Palindrome is ok with it then I am happy happy to RadiDANCE :3333

I think that it's inevitable that people will miss sessions, it's probably best to just carry on regardless unless there is a good reason for waiting (plot critical moments, X-Kot is away etc). I certainly don't have an issue with it.

I wouldn't mind GMing some sessions of Only War far into the future (i.e Christmas timeish). It's the newest FFG 40K RPG (very similar mechanics to RT but cleaned up, full auto now has drawbacks!) except that everyone is an expendable spacemook and we all get to pretend that we are in Platoon with lasguns.

Possibly too soon after RT but I already have some kunnin planz.
    Last edited by palindrome; 02-04-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Had a good time on Sunday Screwie, thanks for GMing it for us. The system's definitely a bit on the "I will do a cool thing this turn!" "Now I will do my cool thing!" side, but I still managed to get semi-killed by an ogre so there was enough risk to make it enjoyable.
    I definitely think 4e is a bit trying-too-hard - I think I get more enjoyment from organically making cool things happen than just tapping a 'cool ability 2b' card for the encounter - but I'd definitely play those characters and that system again.
    I agree there is a bit of a cognitive disconnect inherent in the powers system, but getting past that abstraction is the one conceit of 4e.

Personally I think the strengths of the system outweigh that disconnect. What you pay for in a loss of naturalism, you gain in some very clever M:tG-style builds and combos between powers and players (and a game where every player has something fun they can do, which doesn't first require a few skill checks and your DM's permission).

It's also a pity that while improvised attack effects are still perfectly doable, the specificity of powers often seems to imply otherwise - no matter what the designers intended. So yeah, I would agree it feels very "trying-too-hard" in some areas.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time and you're open to trying it again in the future. :)

I will be away next weekend but I should be back by Sunday evening, so fingers crossed I will be there for whatever we end up playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Personally I think the strengths of the system outweigh that disconnect. What you pay for in a loss of naturalism, you gain in some very clever M:tG-style builds and combos between powers and players...
    Actually just mentioning the above reminded me of a concept put forward by game designer Rob Donoghue, a homebrew system marrying parts of 4e with M:tG-style cards and mana: "An Idea I Love But Can Never Use"

In the article above Rob lays out the principles of what could be a really fun and engaging magic-heavy roleplay system, one which looks fantastically expandable too. However there's a huge amount of prep work needed to flesh it out - although to generate such a thing for a single group of players might be just doable. It's a hell of a lot of work that I'd love to do someday. :)

(Hell, roll20's custom card decks would work great for this.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Very interesting Screwie! The mechanics of M:tG are pretty wonderful, I have had a look at Only War and it looks fun, however with its combat focus I think it may be difficult to keep a campaign varied, although I have toyed with the idea of an apocalypse now scenario...

Network Hub
    Hullo, folks - sorry to hear you won't be able to attend this week, palindrome. When you return, you'll have the same level and wealth as the others, no worries. Everyone else, I'll see you Sunday at 8pm for the continued delving into the Spider, Rats, & Etcetera Cave.

Oh no, I didn't realise we'd also have to face the dreaded etcetera!

The etcetera - that's the thing that oviposits you and whatnot, right?

I don't want to be oviposted in the whatnot!

it's looking quite unlikely that I will make the session on the 14th. even though the exercise finishes on the 13th for some reason the return transport isnt leaving until the 18th. I'm sure there is logic in that somewhere. I may be able to get a lift down on the Sunday though so there is hope yet.

With Only War I have a setting in mind that will not only allow varied encounters against a varity of opponents but it will also allow lots of non combat elements as well, Unless you just want to shoot things of course, so it should get around some of the RP weaknesses in the game. Plus I bought the source book today so I want to get a chance to use it :)
    It's not something that I will have the time to do before the end of the year though.

Well, I am back home from my little trip 4 hours later than planned, after 4 hours of sleep each night this weekend and having enjoyed four more beers than planned each day since Friday evening.

I think I am destined to fall asleep very soon and probably won't be around for the roleplay, terribly sorry :(