Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Torment: Tides of Numenera

I might not be backing the project, but Fargo sure is a class act. $100k of his own money, bards tale for wasteland backers, and this for PE backers.

The friendly relationship between inXile and Obsidian Entertainment is no secret. In collaboration with our colleagues at Obsidian, we are going to create a special pledge reward that will be given to all backers of both Torment and Obsidian’s Project Eternity – a Planescape: Torment Developer Retrospective (digitally distributed). This
    idea was suggested by community member Dema on our UserVoice forums and has been one of the most highly favored suggestions.

This might actually be the first Kickstarter I stump up money for. I've been meaning to pay something out for Wasteland 2, as I hear you can still donate/pay through their site, with a similar package to what was available during the KS itself (basically just after a cheap digital edition). The Torment KS has a $45 pledge level, which gives a copy of Torment: Tides of NumaNuma (that's the new name, and a joke that's beginning to get old, btw) AND a copy of Wasteland 2. That's 2 full games for less than the price of a new (full priced) release.

Also, the Kicktraq projection was quite amusing last night... was 'on course' for $45,000,000 dollars at the time they breached $1million. It's down to $25million now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    The Torment KS has a $45 pledge level, which gives a copy of Torment: Tides of NumaNuma (that's the new name, and a joke that's beginning to get old, btw) AND a copy of Wasteland 2. That's 2 full games for less than the price of a new (full priced) release. .
    That's what I went for, these are games I'd be buying regardless. So to fund them and get them at a discount price seems like a no-brainer.

That's kind of my modus operandi for KS, going for projects I know I'll end up buying one way or another, without compromising my wallet.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I think my money would be better spent on a game that needs it. I will surely end up paying more for Torment: Planescape New Men Era but for some reason future money seems cheaper than present money.

It's not a beta I want to participate in. I'd rather save it for when it's ready. I'm really excited about this game and I was actually almost hoping it wouldn't be so quick to get funded for some reason. I'm much more likely to contribute to help a game reach its goal. But currently nothing compels me to donate to this. Or nothing is pushing me over the edge, at least.

Hmmm... a stretch goal is to hire more writers. I would assume that could mean more descriptions... For me it would be a better stretch goal: "More text descriptions of items and world" even though it would still just mean hiring those two writers.
    Does anyone know what they intend to use the writers for? It's possible adding more writers to making the narrative could be a bad thing.

Does anyone know about voice talent? I would love some more of the actors from PS:T if only for nostalgic reasons.

Network Hub
    If anyone wants to know what stretch goals they're planning: YOU get to decide.

https://torment.uservoice.com/forums...er/filters/hot

You can vote for what's important to you here, or create your own suggestion. You don't need to be a backer. You get 15 votes, and can distribute them how you want. I'm pretty happy that requests for VO have been more or less shot down by backers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Cool, thanks karthink

"An alternative to a "mega dungeon": add small standalone adventures telling stories about NPC's you encounter along the way. Every certain amount of money or number of backers add a story for another NPC."

Now that's what I want! This is a stretch goal I dig.

edit- I agree about fully voiced companions not being a worthy goal. I believe games that don't try to fully voice characters tend to have better characters. And usually they can say a lot more.
    Last edited by Sparkasaurusmex; 07-03-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    So where's Guido Henkel? His Kickstarter was a disaster - 50k pledged out of a million until it was cancelled halfway through. He's not even mentioned in the retrospective thing.

Activated Node
    The stretch goals are up, but by the rate it's going they'll have too put up more soon. This is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    So where's Guido Henkel? His Kickstarter was a disaster - 50k pledged out of a million until it was cancelled halfway through. He's not even mentioned in the retrospective thing.
    That is probably one of the worst settings I have ever had the displeasure of reading about.

Anyways, very excited for this. Numenera is a really great setting; I actually like it more than Planscape. Really interested to see how they'll handle dialogue and combat, as I can't imagine they're going to directly duplicate PS:T's mechanics.

Network Hub
    Not committing until they show more on how it looks and plays. It's been all very hand-wavy so far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Torment without Planescape?

Not sure if want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Torment without Planescape?

Not sure if want.
    At a glance, Numenera with its tides system seems more interesting--and with scope for more history and world building--than Planescape with its belief-aligned planes.

Quote Originally Posted by dsch
    Not committing until they show more on how it looks and plays.

Well, they're not even in preproduction. Like with Wasteland 2, it will be the better part of an year before there's any gameplay to see. It's pedigree + ambition vs scope + skepticism for now. (I backed it.)

I find this project beautiful, and believe it has the opportunity to be one among the greats if all goes well. Especially now that Ziets is probably on board.
    Last edited by karthink; 08-03-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I backed it instantly. I was already excited for the Numenera PnP, so marrying that with a new Torment game is just fantastic.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I also just threw money at it probably too fast.

I do however slightly miss the planescape setting, it's not for the aligned planes so much but for sigil and it's connected areas. The city of doors was such a wonderful area to set a game in, potential secret areas, mindsets and weirdness behind every door, window and hole in the world makes for some nice level building (which was somewhat underused in places but well realised in many others).

If the new setting can bring in as many interesting little locations I'll be very happy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    More accurate estimate.

A few days ago I said Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to get over $4 mln. However, I didn't know that Kicktraq didn't display the pledges from the entire second day. Multiplying the day 02 trend by the magical ratio number 0.19 reveals the final, accurate estimate:

$6.08 mln
    pass

Activated Node
    I hope they add in the Numenara corebook and player's handbook as digital add-ons. I went in at the $95 for the physical goodies and am not willing to bump it up to the $250 one for both, which I think is sold out anyways and now goes for $275. I guess I could forgo the physical stuff and jump to the $130 which would be a bit more palatable, but I don't want to

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    More accurate estimate.

A few days ago I said Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to get over $4 mln. However, I didn't know that Kicktraq didn't display the pledges from the entire second day. Multiplying the day 02 trend by the magical ratio number 0.19 reveals the final, accurate estimate:

$6.08 mln
    That seems a bit too high to me, but I ran some easy math, and it was closer to $7m, so I'm not a very good judge. My gut says around $5.5m, because it's dropping hard and they will have to come up with some really interesting stretch goals to match the boost PE got from its first pre-rendered background. I'll do a bit of better math later.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    I also just threw money at it probably too fast.

I do however slightly miss the planescape setting, it's not for the aligned planes so much but for sigil and it's connected areas. The city of doors was such a wonderful area to set a game in, potential secret areas, mindsets and weirdness behind every door, window and hole in the world makes for some nice level building (which was somewhat underused in places but well realised in many others).

If the new setting can bring in as many interesting little locations I'll be very happy.
    Sigil is in 4e.

The following should be read with a tone of curiosity, not cynicism:

What makes this game so special? The setting is different from PS:T and Avellone isn't on the staff. While many of the same people will work on this new game, I dare guess that most of them have worked on projects in between without reaching the level of PS:T. Why should they succeed this time?

Is it the Torment theme that's so special? If so, hasn't it been attempted a million times since PS:T, as is industry tradition?

I guess what I'm really asking is: Is it the Torment name that drowns poor screens in money or is it the team? Or a combination or some other factor? Should I be cynical or optimistic?

N.B. I haven't played PS:T yet (which probably makes me a bad person, but I haven't had the time), nor do I know much about the game.