Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stalker - Lost Alpha RELEASED!

Stalker Lost Alpha is released!

Here is the moddb page
    and here is the torrent.

Second edit: Most of the below shouldn't apply any more as long as you install the 1.30013 patch. If you're having performance issues, try reducing overall quality and running without grass / sun shadows.

Edit: Don't install to Program Files, install to something like C:\Games\StalkerLostAlpha. For those that cannot progress past the menus and into the game, reset your keyboard controls using the Default button. Quickloading is bugged and crashes, if you want to re-load a quicksave (saving does work), go to the menu first and load from there.
    Last edited by casimirsblake; 05-05-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Nice graphics in Cordon. So much vegetation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I'm so going to laugh when first people who dl it are all like "Yeah, it's the Stalker we all waited for since 2003! It's totally unplayable!"

Well, maybe it's good. I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Network Hub
    I get an error when launching the game. So far this has been a 10/10 STALKER experience

Anyone else playing?

I'm still in Cordon. Feels good to finally visit places I've seen in trailers 10 years ago. I suspect this is what Stalker 2 is like - heavily reworked familiar places... It's interesting, but some shit don't make sense at all. Like in the starting village where stalkers live near corpses and HL2 barnacles. Some things were obviously cut for a reason too...

Anyway, it's a solid game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    I get an error when launching the game. So far this has been a 10/10 STALKER experience
    The way it's meant to be played. (TM I guess?)
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

I have downloaded the torrent version two times and it gives me CRC errors.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    The way it's meant to be played. (TM I guess?)
    Stalker installation: Challenge Everything!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Bookmarked!!

Although I do own Shadow of Chernobyl, I must say I am so delighted that this does not need the SOC software to run.

Noob question though, would this arrangement give rise to copyright issue?

They have GSC's blessing, access to their assets and they even claim it might have been a paid official expansion. It was leaked so that deal fell through.

Obscure Node
    Please excuse the potential bashing of any nostalgia fuelled STALKER fanboy bandwagon and/or pissing on any parade, but 10 minutes of my attention found this mod either unrefined or handicapped by what is possibly now a game that is showing its age. Cringy sound quality, and trippy indoor lighting. Oh, and I can't save either my game progress or option settings, which is quite a downer.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Stalker installation: Challenge Everything!
    Oh no, I think yours beats mine!

Seriously though, the STALKER games still give me grief.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by derf View Post
    Please excuse the potential bashing of any nostalgia fuelled STALKER fanboy bandwagon and/or pissing on any parade, but 10 minutes of my attention found this mod either unrefined or handicapped by what is possibly now a game that is showing its age. Cringy sound quality, and trippy indoor lighting. Oh, and I can't save either my game progress or option settings, which is quite a downer.
    The team once expressed wish to migrate the project to more updated engine like that of Clear Sky, but then those newer versions of the engine were deemed disappointments and they decided to move back to the original SOC engine.

But, that's a good sign. That essentially indicates that game industry did have noticeable progression during the last few years.

Man, 6GB download is very huge, I would have to wait till weekend to try this out.

So can you guys share on any technical issue encountered during installation, and how you sort them out? Will be very useful for all of us to take reference.
    Last edited by squirrel; 29-04-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    STALKER games still give me grief.
    It's in the game!

I managed to run it but I can't take my gear from Sidorovich and thus stuck in first room. Not bad.

Also, with all options on high I get 50fps but it feels like I'm moving through transparent gelatin.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I managed to run it but I can't take my gear from Sidorovich and thus stuck in first room. Not bad.
    Sometimes it launches for me. Sometimes not. Sometimes it crashes at random when I'm walking around, seems to be worse in Dx11 mode. Whatever enjoyment I've tried to get out of any of the games has been mired by that. I did finish the first one though... with its terrible NPP rooftop hop fighting Monolith. So much potential...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Played a few hours and only had one crash. Enabling grass shadows halved my FPS, on average I get around 30. I m really liking it so far, familiar yet new at the same time. Looks pretty good though for a game that uses the SoC engine. I can't wait to see what mods come out for it.

Your gear is not with Sid, it's in one of the furniture in the starting room. If you are unable to save, probably you installed it in Program Files and you re not running it as administrator. Either move directory or run it as admin.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Is anyone kind enough to write what was cut out in final version of official stalker game,and what they bring back in Lost Alpha ? Its always interesting to read stuff like this :3

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Is anyone kind enough to write what was cut out in final version of official stalker game
    Stalker had at least few points during its development where things were redone from scratch. First they dropped the setting. Then they started the whole nonscripted A-life seamless world thing that had to be cut and they barely saved it from becoming mission based linear fps. Then they cut vehicles and economy, placed restrictions on AI. Oh and they redone all levels, some scaled down( cordon, scrapyard, yantar), some scrapped( bogs, escape, generators, some of the labs). Did I forget anything?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    funnily enough,even if the game had major content cut out its still one of the best fps experiences gamer can have. Thanks for explanation ;)

Obscure Node
    It's running nicely, the atmosphere is solid - only thing that's behaving a bit squiffy is the weapon upgrading.