Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

Star Wars: Republic Commando is neat, in a retro sort of way

I bought it not too long ago and just got around to trying it for the first time. If you like FPS from that time period (mid-2000s) I imagine it might be an unexpected treat.

Be warned that there is a bumpmapping issue; it wouldn't run on my W7 PC maxed so I had to pull out my trusty old XP lappy to get every setting to work.

Its definitely one of the best SW games, probably the best "new trilogy" game around.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

It's a lot of fun, way more than I expected it to be.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I've enjoyed what I've played of it so far, but I think I just broke my 1080p resolution fix and I can't find what I need to make it work again. Sigh. I'll research it later on, I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I didn't like it very much. I thought it was really cool when I first played the demo way back when, but I think it's not as good a game as I thought it was before, or it didn't age well (or both).

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Its definitely one of the best SW games, probably the best "new trilogy" game around.
    I had a ton of fun with Jedi Power Battles on the PS1, though. I suppose that might just be me being easily impressed and a recent Star Wars convert at the time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I still think Republic Commando had one of the best approaches to "squad tactics". Really felt like I was ordering around elite commandos and the like, without needing me to switch to "commander mode"

Also, the novels are some of the best EU books out there. Even if the author (Karen Traviss) has no concept of scope and is batshit insane. Really did a great job of portraying The Clone Wars from the perspective of an actual Clone, and it turned Order 66 into a ridiculously terrifying and horrific event, rather than just "ha ha, little orphan annie just killed the kids who managed to be even more annoying than Jake Lloyd"
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Activated Node
    I loved this game when I played it a few years ago. Very interesting squad mechanics and I liked the scope of it in respect to the things that go on in the movies. I was actually bummed by the ending, I wish there was more game to play.
    Steam uPlay
    Origin: afontanm

My Backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    That intro is so amazing.
    The whole game has great style.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    That intro is so amazing.
    The whole game has great style.
    It's great what they tried to do. Changing the aesthetics to Star Wars trough the eyes of a soldier was pretty well done.
    It's a great game. It's a shame that it doesn't have a co-op mode.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I like that game too! Last time I checked there were still a few people playing the multiplayer too, which was good for a few more minutes of fun once I beat the single player.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Why Imperial Commando was never made I don't know. That game would have been a license to print money.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Why Imperial Commando was never made I don't know. That game would have been a license to print money.
    Well, the books fell through as a result of the Clone Wars tv series since Traviss (and other writers) got REALLY pissed that their work was being thrown out in favor of TV shows and what not.

And I wouldn't be surprised if that was partially in preparation for the star wars franchise to be shopped around (this happened in 2009 or so, the buyout was announced in 2012)
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

It's a great game. SPOILER ALERT: Shame about Sev though. Especially that we'll never get a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post

I thought Republic Commando bombed.

Google (well, Wikipedia) says it generally scored around 8.2/10, and Imperial Commando was planned and had concept art before RepCom was even released, but it was cancelled for unknown reasons.

Meh... I wasn't that impressed. I had some fun in the 4 or 5 hours to finish it. The gameplay was very fluid. But Stormtroopers behaving like badass-SWAT-Dudes just seemed odd ;)

These guys aren't regular soldiers - they are the badass SWAT dudes. Personally trained by Mandalorian warriors, genetically adjusted to be superior to the others, raised from birth to be the Republic's elite. No normal Stormtrooper could do the things Delta Squad do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamozk Ekhiss View Post
    No normal Stormtrooper could do the things Delta Squad do.
    Hit targets, basically.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Jamozk Ekhiss View Post
    These guys aren't regular soldiers - they are the badass SWAT dudes. Personally trained by Mandalorian warriors, genetically adjusted to be superior to the others, raised from birth to be the Republic's elite. No normal Stormtrooper could do the things Delta Squad do.

They even have different voices!