Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Calling it a screenshot is slightly disingenuous (more a factor of insufficient language, because they're very clear about what it is in post), but that is gorgeous. Hopefully the next kickstarter either InXile or Obsidian launches will have some of this art in the initial pitch because it's very convincing.

Activated Node
    How much of a boost do kickstarters tend to get in the last few days? Based on their rate of gain over the last week (around $40k a day) the final target will be just short of the $3.5 million that gets Chris Avellone on board.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    It depends on a few things, for example if they announce anything juicy right before the end. And they just have - they've shown how a screenshot might look like.

Don't hold your breath. I don't think we'll see a big final surge. The initial frenzy followed by surprisingly slow donations means, to me, that
    1) fans expected a Torment kickstarter and jumped on it as soon as they could
    2) the game failed to entice new gamers

#2 might be surprising considering the success of Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity. But W2 has a quite popular post-apoc setting, and Eternity a quite generic fantasy one. Torment is its own thing, it appeals only to Torment fans. They have failed to produce new, interesting concept art that could intrigue people who haven't heard of P:T. Someone like DiTerlizzi would be great.
    http://www.google.pl/search?hl=en&gs...W_HsnXOfGbgcgB
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyL View Post
    How much of a boost do kickstarters tend to get in the last few days? Based on their rate of gain over the last week (around $40k a day) the final target will be just short of the $3.5 million that gets Chris Avellone on board.
    Normally about a sixth of the total gathered, but this is atypical in that it was highly frontloaded. Any uptake in the next two days will give us a good idea. The last three days are key, put pledges pick up (normally double from the low and then some double again) about five days before the end.

They have also been lamentably poor at getting press coverage, unlike Wasteland or PE. They never went on a PE interview blitz, they didn't go crazy with the stretch goals and its been a weak campaign.

The screenshot they released somewhat surprised me. It's not that I don't like it, but it's hardly the most attractive shot if you want to boost the Kickstarter gains.

Activated Node
    So paypal totals are at $67k, so the total is $3.388M. Avellone could happen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhagan View Post
    So paypal totals are at $67k, so the total is $3.388M. Avellone could happen
    Oh, Avellone will happen. They merely have to keep daily totals at the same rate (with no last days increase).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Oh, Avellone will happen. They merely have to keep daily totals at the same rate (with no last days increase).
    Yeah, I think it will hit 4 million to be honest, though they've left announcing the post-Avellone stretch goals a little late - I'm doubtful they'll hit 4.5 million for a player stronghold, alas.

Network Hub
    @deanno: I don't think they realistically expect it to hit $4.5 mil. I for one will be whooping if they hit $4m million.

In case anyone missed it, here's a "tech and lighting demonstration" they cooked up over the weekend:

"Obviously, this is a very quick test – we’ve only had the screenshot for a few days, after all. =) This was basically Koy's weekend (thanks, Koy!). But if this is what we can do in a couple days with pipelines we’re still developing and without programmer involvement, than you can imagine (we know you all have great imaginations!) what will be possible after we really delve into the project and after months of polishing final areas. We added Mark Morgan’s music separately, but otherwise this little scene is running in Unity."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by karthink View Post
    @deanno: I don't think they realistically expect it to hit $4.5 mil. I for one will be whooping if they hit $4m million.
    Which is a shame, as I think it could have if they'd announced those stretch goals a week ago. For seemingly ages we've had Chris Avellone at 3.5 million as the highest goal, and it's been obvious to everyone that it was going to reach that goal (even though it wasn't quite there) so there's been very little incentive to encourage backing or increasing a pledge.

pass

Karthink, thanks for posting that short clip. Looks interesting!

Network Hub
    ...And Chris Avellone is on board.

I really, really want this project to hit the 4 million stretch goal. If you have any interest in poignant, beautifully written role playing games set in a fantastic world, please check the kickstarter out. The talent is there, as is the pedigree. There is no other way we will ever get a game in the vein of Planescape: Torment this decade.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ...And Chris Avellone is on board.

I really, really want this project to hit the 4 million stretch goal. If you have any interest in poignant, beautifully written role playing games set in a fantastic world, please check the kickstarter out. The talent is there, as is the pedigree. There is no other way we will ever get a game in the vein of Planescape: Torment this decade.
    Me too. Me too. The giant underwater city in the desert looks really, really interesting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Can anyone explain this to me? From the sidelines( where I am standing) this whole "stretchgoaling" looks like milking and almost blackmailing people into paying more for promises of content with no way to know if it was done or not. All we have is their word that they are indeed doing a "Longer Story". How much longer? 100 000 lines more? How do they prove it? How do they prove that Avellone actually going to write anything instead of just joining the writing team for drinks and then being in the credits? How do they prove that "Hall of Generic Fantasy" isn't already in the game under a different name? Tell you what, it all seem a little bit too carefully pre-planned in a way that usually makes people here furious, like day 1 paid DLC or something. It also seems to me they are just inventing stretch goals sometimes like with Expanded Depth and Reactivity promises. It's like they are just filling the bar with random nonsense. Are people angry? No, those are "our" guys. Also, 4mil$ isn't even that much money. GSC made Stalker for just little more with a team of 10-20 developers working for far less than 5k$ per month on PC's that never saw a licensed soft, ever. And then Grigorovich fired them without paying bonuses. Is this a charity project?

Now call me crazy but I don't trust KS in general and this one especially.

And I laugh at people who believe into some kind of liberation from the corporations yoke through KS.

/tinfoil
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Can anyone explain this to me?
    The stretch goals don't represent what it costs to implement that specific thing or anything like that, they're just to give people a better idea of what they mean when they say every pledge will go towards the game budget.

Normally I'd agree the whole pre-planned thing annoys me a bit, a lot of KSs launch with a low target and clearly have stretch goals ready and waiting, with half the content of the game they actually want to make saved for that. In this case though, Obsidian had been nearly at their 3.5 million goal for over a week (clear to everyone they'd make it) and only got around to adding these new stretch goals yesterday. Given that, I'm fairly sure they didn't really plan these in advance.

Network Hub
    Stretch goals and game development are a poor fit, square shafts and circular holes. This is generally the case with creative work on Kickstarter, and especially the case with Torment, which is driven more by story and reactivity than other RPGs. So as their scope increases with potential funding, they pick a highlight and declare it a stretch goal instead. It's about the best they can do given their vision for the game and the way Kickstarter works.

What you're requesting appears to be an invoice for man hours spent on every part of the project well before the project begins. I doubt there's anything they could do that would curb your cynicism. Even if Wasteland 2 releases to universal acclaim this year, you'd have no way of knowing that the stretch goals they promised weren't planned all along, or that they were never implemented because they were phrased vaguely.

As for this project, Kevin Saunders has said that their scope was modular, with self contained modules (the labyrinth, the various halls, companion quests) they can add as they get more funding. Some of this money will go into integrating these modules seamlessly into the game. So yeah, I'm pretty sure they were preplanned. I don't see the problem with that, and I don't see how it's like milking backers or like day 1 DLC. There's simply no connection between chunks of game that can only be made with more funding (that everyone gets for the sale price) and chunks of game made and then ripped out to be sold separately.

It's predicated on good faith, it's not a business transaction. I get it; I can see why you're critical. I wonder if you can see why the people backing it are not--beyond just citing naivete and hopeless idealism.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's simply no connection between chunks of game that can only be made with more funding (that everyone gets for the sale price) and chunks of game made and then ripped out to be sold separately.
    I disagree here, and I think he has a point that stretch goals and day-1 DLC serve a similar purpose. All games have a budget. If you do a Kickstarter, the budget is whatever you raise reduced by the costs of fulfilling rewards. If you get a big publisher, the budget is a percentage of your expected income on release of the game. DLC, of any kind, increases that expected income, hence also increasing the budget, often allowing those bits to be made in the first place.

Now that I can't post comments on KS anymore, can anyone explain to me what does 'MCA' stand for ? How does it relate to Chris Avellone ?
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Now that I can't post comments on KS anymore, can anyone explain to me what does 'MCA' stand for ? How does it relate to Chris Avellone ?
    Mr Chris Avellone.

I dont' know why.