Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 03-04-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That is beautiful.

I have to stop looking at these screenshots/images, it's too teasing.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Can anyone explain this to me? From the sidelines( where I am standing) this whole "stretchgoaling" looks like milking and almost blackmailing people into paying more for promises of content with no way to know if it was done or not.
    You're not paying for anything. You're not buying a product here. It doesn't matter how much or how little content it will have at the end of the road.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

That pain mechanic has been sitting in my Moleskine for years ;___;

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I disagree here, and I think he has a point that stretch goals and day-1 DLC serve a similar purpose. All games have a budget. If you do a Kickstarter, the budget is whatever you raise reduced by the costs of fulfilling rewards. If you get a big publisher, the budget is a percentage of your expected income on release of the game. DLC, of any kind, increases that expected income, hence also increasing the budget, often allowing those bits to be made in the first place.
    Ah, I didn't think of that. But they still don't serve a similar purpose in terms of how they affect the customer or the developer's profits. If those stretch goals are met, the game improves for every buyer at no additional retail cost.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    The vision document sounds damn ambitious. Can a game pull this off ?
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Mr Chris Avellone.

I dont' know why.
    Master Chris Avellone. I still don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Short answer, no. But Torment's vision document was as ambitious and here we are 15 technological years later to retry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    How many people think it's going to make it to $4m? I think they probably will by the hair of their chins. If they had released this stuff a week ago, they would already be there. They need to make about $430k in two days. Which is more than the $300k that Wasteland 2 got in the last two, but far less than the $862k PE got with a similar stretch goal. They've gotten just shy of $100k a day for the last two days.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Master Chris Avellone. I still don't know why.
    It did originally stand for Mister Chris Avellone. Not that it matters, considering no one ever writes it out anyway. I'm not sure where it originated from, but I believe it was either RPG Codex or No Mutants Allowed. Both places have been using the acronym for years. It's faster than using his full name every time, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    I doubt it. Then again, even if they can only deliver on half their promises, it'll still be a pretty sweet game.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    How many people think it's going to make it to $4m? I think they probably will by the hair of their chins. If they had released this stuff a week ago, they would already be there. They need to make about $430k in two days. Which is more than the $300k that Wasteland 2 got in the last two, but far less than the $862k PE got with a similar stretch goal. They've gotten just shy of $100k a day for the last two days.
    The best part is that it doesn't matter. Stretch goals do not match budget anyway. Once they have everything going they could find extra funding from particular investors to cover for those amounts, or just roll with them in future patches. They are building a long-term seller, not a fast cash-grab, and for that they will need content.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    MCA:

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Brian Fargo always sounds like a generally nice guy:
    I’ve given code to Harebrained to help them with their website. There’s this general philosophy of 1+1 = 3. They promoted us in their updates, we’ll promote them in ours. So, I think it’s worked out great that we all benefit, and we don’t keep score.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    These videos look like cheap animated GIFs - I'm talking Myspace Bling - with a well-detailed 3D model standing in front of it. I hope the end product is a bit more seamless; this is like Final Fantasy VII in reverse, where now the characters trump the environment.

Not intended to be a slight against the art style itself, just the way they're dripping out videos.

If the actual game looks like that and features dialogs of PST quality: I'd be happy. Guess I'm easily pleased.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    These videos look like cheap animated GIFs - I'm talking Myspace Bling - with a well-detailed 3D model standing in front of it. I hope the end product is a bit more seamless; this is like Final Fantasy VII in reverse, where now the characters trump the environment.

Not intended to be a slight against the art style itself, just the way they're dripping out videos.
    Don't forget that it's concept stuff. I agree that the wheel stands out a bit from the rest of the scene, but I think that's also a factor of how detailed the wheel is compared to the rest of the scene. I thought the bridge turned out pretty well though.

It might be the lack of shadows on the wheel. You don't expect the bridge to have a shadow, but you expect the wheel to. The upper corner of the wheel especially needs one.
    Last edited by Internet; 05-04-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Practically at $4 million now with PayPal backers and 12 hours to go. 4.25 might actually be possible. 4.5 still a bit too far away, which is a shame as I really love player strongholds.