Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    That's a nice haul. As with other big Kickstarter projects I've been instantly enthused about, I pledged for the early-bird tier on day one and then stopped paying attention. I only tend to get involved with smaller projects, especially those that struggle, but even that's gotten kind of boring. Sorry, Consortium.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    my... KS company is making serious money without really doing a lot of work. what cut do they get?

Network Hub
    KS gets 5% on funded projects, Amazon gets another 5%.

KS does not charge you if your project fails to fund.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Well, whether 3 million+ is a lot or a little depends on your point of view. It's still small potatoes to the big publishers of course, but it's a solid chunk of cash for an isometric RPG without voice-acting.
    And it's massive to indie game developers, who often have a budget of $100,000 or less. Simply put, InXile Entertainment is a medium-sized developer. No shame about that.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    my... KS company is making serious money without really doing a lot of work. what cut do they get?
    KS ensures that the site remains up even though traffic is very, very spikey. Most private efforts (including Star Citizen), do not have the same robust service. They also have a pretty format to put things in and help with discoverability. I think 5% is a fair cut.

Banned
    5% is definitely a good deal IMO. I thought the combined KS/Ama cut was higher but ah well. Now Steam and other such sites take a 30% cut, and that's profits not the initial budget. That's less okay but I guess since you get an audience its not terrible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Kickstarter also provides brand recognition. It's nigh-ubiquitous at this point for upstarts, when you have people who refuse to donate unless KS is involved.

Banned
    That's true. IndieGoGo actually does okay but people got PISSED when Star Citizen wasn't Kickstarter focused. Probably because individual campaigns don't have the same accountability. KS's business relies on people trusting that they get what they paid for on every project. Whereas a dev could just run away with the money easily if they used their own platform.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    That's true. IndieGoGo actually does okay but people got PISSED when Star Citizen wasn't Kickstarter focused. Probably because individual campaigns don't have the same accountability. KS's business relies on people trusting that they get what they paid for on every project. Whereas a dev could just run away with the money easily if they used their own platform.
    ...Not that Kickstarter provides any guarantee on returns, either.

I sort of feel like Kickstarter offers a secure feeling of a very visible neutral third party for transactions, coupled with ease of use etc. So I am aware that the recipient of my donation may squander my donation but they will not be misusing my data or payment details and I have very fine direct control over my pledge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Many eyes are watching Kickstarter, and it has reputation at stake. This is what Kickstarter security boils down to.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Kickstarter does make creators sign a ToS, which probably makes it easier to sue. Also you can organize people over the comments. It's thin protection at best, but it's there.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Many eyes are watching Kickstarter, and it has reputation at stake. This is what Kickstarter security boils down to.
    That is also the only real hold backers have on the creators of their projects. For Shafer and Fargo, there is an enormous amount at stake.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    bump as i found an interview with Chris Avellone on Tides of Numenera:

quiet interesting. talks about the game and how it compares to PST.

I have mixed feelings about this. I backed the project. But at some point they changed the game from real time with pausing to turn based. I know lots of people don't mind. But for me you can't have a spiritual successor to a game if you change the gameplay. That fundamental to me.

It will probably still be a great game, but I'm not happy they changed it after the fact.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    It was also a pretty close community vote, which won't help matters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    The thing is, the combat in PS:T was pretty shit, easily the weakest of the Infinity Engine games and very poorly balanced.

It's the one aspect of the game that I expect to easily be surpassed with Numenera. If the devs say they think turn-based is the best way to do it, then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The combat isn't a central aspect of Torment anyway. It wasn't in the original and it won't be in the new game.

The justifications they made for the choice made sense to me, even if I personally tend to prefer real-time with pause.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    As long as they pace it right, I'm fine with turn based. It does allow for more engaging combat but it also risks slowing the game down a lot.

This would be a nice opportunity to address the amount of filler combat most of these games have. It doesn't add anything to the game to have level 1 thugs constantly jumping you in the street, they're just a nuisance and don't require any tactical thought to deal with. Combine that with turn based combat and you could end up with a very tedious game.

What I'd like to see is every encounter being thought through and designed, especially if they want to play on the strengths of PS:T. You might not be able to talk your way out of every fight, but when you are fighting it should mean something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    As long as they pace it right, I'm fine with turn based. It does allow for more engaging combat but it also risks slowing the game down a lot.

This would be a nice opportunity to address the amount of filler combat most of these games have. It doesn't add anything to the game to have level 1 thugs constantly jumping you in the street, they're just a nuisance and don't require any tactical thought to deal with. Combine that with turn based combat and you could end up with a very tedious game.

What I'd like to see is every encounter being thought through and designed, especially if they want to play on the strengths of PS:T. You might not be able to talk your way out of every fight, but when you are fighting it should mean something.
    These issues are addressed in the video linked above.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR