Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

Guns in Space - Borderlands Pre-Sequel

Very much in need of a solid co-op shooter, my girl and I took the plunge and bought the new Borderlands. We are three hours in so far an I must say:

Crikey, its actually quite good.

I frankly do not understand the claims that no effort went into the game. Certainly I can see why some feel its just a large expansion for BL2. But it would be one massive expansion indeed, were that the case. Firstly, it features a plethora of new mechanics, including the jetpacks/O2, the loot grinder, and laser and freezing weapons. Then there is a new narrative, with so far very solid, very Australian voice acting.

Still, at heart, it is a Borderlands game. If you have not enjoyed the "formula" up to now this aint going to convince you. On the other hand, if you've been a fan of the franchise I think you can safely assume you will very much enjoy what is so far a splendid addition to the universe.

Network Hub
    I enjoyed BL2, even though I play solo only, and from waht I've seen of the Pre-Sequel I'll definitely get it at some point. I don't know, maybe I'm just a sucker for bad jokes, no story and picking up loot but I like the game. Actually, now that I think about it, BL and BL2 are the only FPS games I've played in the last 5-10 years I think.

sorry to disappoint, but the story of BL2 was actually quite good. especially so compared to BL1.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I wouldn't say it was a good story. I'd say it had character, and was at its best when it went full out on that. Like that guy you have to shoot in the face for a quest, or Tiny Tina. Handsome Jack was great when he was a cartoon psychopath, essentially a Hipster Joker from Batman. But it was awful when all the "drama" came in. Don't give a fuck. Just lemme shoot things til they explode into loot.

I was thinking about buying the Pre-Sequel but realised I hadn't played any of the DLC which is basically another game in itself it would seem, so just seemed pointless for the time being. Will pick it up in the future though and enjoy it very much I'm sure.

I guess I expected the same horrible drivel that was in BL1, so when I played BL2, I was pleasantly surprised.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Yeah, the story went from dire to decent, if nothing noteworthy. It at least made sense and didn't put me off playing, and was even a little bit clever in making me question whether I was really such a good guy. A lot of games just have this completely straightfaced 'go and kill this stuff because it's bad' thing, but Borderlands 2 made it pretty clear (if you were paying enough attention) that the things you were killing didn't really deserve to die (except Jack), since they were either predatory animals that will attack you instinctively if you're in their territory, humans who were once completely sane but were abandoned and turned psychotic because the corporations they were working for just buggered off one day or humans that had been brainwashed by Jack and were just following orders. Really, the only difference between Jack and the Vault Hunters is that Jack wanted to kill everything he couldn't control while you, the Vault Hunter/s, followed orders mostly from mentally unstable people to kill pretty much anything that wasn't a relatively sane person, so were you really that good or were you just the less evil of the two? Hardly Oscar-worthy stuff but still a little deeper than a lot of stories.

But yeah, next to Borderlands even Modern Warfare 2 had a compelling story.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Yeah, the story went from dire to decent, if nothing noteworthy. It at least made sense and didn't put me off playing, and was even a little bit clever in making me question whether I was really such a good guy. A lot of games just have this completely straightfaced 'go and kill this stuff because it's bad' thing, but Borderlands 2 made it pretty clear (if you were paying enough attention) that the things you were killing didn't really deserve to die (except Jack), since they were either predatory animals that will attack you instinctively if you're in their territory, humans who were once completely sane but were abandoned and turned psychotic because the corporations they were working for just buggered off one day or humans that had been brainwashed by Jack and were just following orders. Really, the only difference between Jack and the Vault Hunters is that Jack wanted to kill everything he couldn't control while you, the Vault Hunter/s, followed orders mostly from mentally unstable people to kill pretty much anything that wasn't a relatively sane person, so were you really that good or were you just the less evil of the two? Hardly Oscar-worthy stuff but still a little deeper than a lot of stories.

But yeah, next to Borderlands even Modern Warfare 2 had a compelling story.
    I would say Borderlands 2 only questioned whether shooting people in the face was morally ambiguous if it had never occurred to you before that shooting people in the face is morally ambiguous. I mean in the first one you have people *screaming* as they get melted, most of the Psyhos are saying something disturbing about voices in their head and clearly not in full control of their minds, it's really quite horrible in a lot of ways, I don't need back story to prompt me into wondering whether it's alright to inflict astonishing degrees of pain and violence on somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I would say Borderlands 2 only questioned whether shooting people in the face was morally ambiguous if it had never occurred to you before that shooting people in the face is morally ambiguous.
    Of course, but do you think this has occurred to the average first person shooter fan? You're most likely a more, um, pensive gamer than most - hence why you're here and not on, say, the GameSpot forums - but Borderlands' target audience obviously covers a wide variety of people. I'm not saying it had never occurred to me that maybe these people don't deserve to die, but out of Borderlands 2, Call of Duty 7, Battlefield 4 and the other AAA first person shooters played by people who just want to shoot stuff and zone out for a while, isn't it odd that the only one to make this point is the one that's an unrealistically ultraviolent cartoon about collecting bigger and better guns with which to do more killing (where you incidentally also stop an evil man from killing everything before you do)?

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    I much prefered the story of BL1 to 2. Story in 1 got in the way a lot less. People looking for a rumored vault come across hostile resistance, and over come it.

2 got in the way more. It waved its story in my face over and over again screaming "Look At Me, Heres A Meme!".

Activated Node
    i didn't imagine people would care for the story in a BL game >_>

This reminds me, I need to finish BL2 one day.

Those checkpoint saves though. Ughhhhhh.

Are there any mods available for this series? I quite like a lot of things in the series, but I always get really frustrated with the bullet-spongy enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyturnedred View Post
    Are there any mods available for this series? I quite like a lot of things in the series, but I always get really frustrated with the bullet-spongy enemies.
    Sounds like you need to focus more on criticals, learn where they are etc, and weapons that do damage over time. With the excpetion of bosses, who are definitely guilty of being bullet sponges, I've never experienced that feeling as long as our levels where no greater than than two apart, all the way up to the 60's. If you headshot a bandit once or twice and you're of a similar level, they won't survive long.

Lesser Hivemind Node strange headache's Avatar
    I may pick it up in a sale. I played BL1 to its disappointing end and BL2 was more of the same, so I got burned out pretty quickly half-way through the game. The story was a bit more enjoyable than in the first one but not enough to keep me going.

BL3 seems to be even more of the same, with the exception of a few little perks here and there, so I'll wait a bit. I'm busy with Orcs and Aliens anyway.

EDIT:

Did they fix the horrible and clunky user interface and menus yet?
    Last edited by strange headache; 16-10-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    CÉTERVM CENSEÓ KOTAKVM ESSE DÉLÉNDAM.

Sounds like you need to focus more on criticals, learn where they are etc, and weapons that do damage over time. With the excpetion of bosses, who are definitely guilty of being bullet sponges, I've never experienced that feeling as long as our levels where no greater than than two apart, all the way up to the 60's. If you headshot a bandit once or twice and you're of a similar level, they won't survive long.
    Indeed. Matching elemental damage to the enemy type is essential in Borderlands 2, but even when you get to the highest levels you can still kill stuff pretty quick (except bosses). If you're trying to kill a Loader with a fire damage weapon that's three levels below the Loader's you're going to have the ultimate bullet sponge experience, if you slag it first (this is way more important than I realised at first) then use corrosive damage from a same-level gun it'll die in maybe four hits.

Generally the key is:
    Shock is good vs. shields and unshielded red health bar enemies.
    Incendiary is good vs. unshielded red health bar enemies.
    Corrosive is good vs. unshielded gold health bar enemies.
    Explosive is better than no element at all vs. everything except shielded enemies.
    Slag decreases enemy damage resistance for as long as they're affected, making it literally twice as easy to kill them (at lower difficulties - I think it's four times easier on UVHM).
    Last edited by neema_t; 16-10-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I wouldn't say it was a good story. I'd say it had character, and was at its best when it went full out on that. Like that guy you have to shoot in the face for a quest, or Tiny Tina. Handsome Jack was great when he was a cartoon psychopath, essentially a Hipster Joker from Batman. But it was awful when all the "drama" came in. Don't give a fuck. Just lemme shoot things til they explode into loot.

I was thinking about buying the Pre-Sequel but realised I hadn't played any of the DLC which is basically another game in itself it would seem, so just seemed pointless for the time being. Will pick it up in the future though and enjoy it very much I'm sure.
    I picked up the GOTY edition - steam key - from g2a for 12 dollars yesterday. Comes with a rather nice pair of guns at lvl 1 and all the major DLC expansions.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Indeed. Matching elemental damage to the enemy type is essential in Borderlands 2, but even when you get to the highest levels you can still kill stuff pretty quick (except bosses). If you're trying to kill a Loader with a fire damage weapon that's three levels below the Loader's you're going to have the ultimate bullet sponge experience, if you slag it first (this is way more important than I realised at first) then use corrosive damage from a same-level gun it'll die in maybe four hits.

Generally the key is:
    Explosive is better than no element at all vs. everything except shielded enemies.
    Slag decreases enemy damage resistance for as long as they're affected, making it literally twice as easy to kill them (at lower difficulties - I think it's four times easier on UVHM).
    Just headshot everything. Things die really fast with dem criticals; Maya is a critical machine when skilled offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Just headshot everything. Things die really fast with dem criticals; Maya is a critical machine when skilled offensively.
    Yeah, but they die even faster if you headshot them with the appropriate element when they're slagged.

Generally the key is:
    To add to this, the colours indicate on their healthbar. Green means vulnerable to corrosive, Blue vulnerable to shock, Red to fire. If you equip appropriately to that you'll kill everything quickly.

To add to this, the colours indicate on their healthbar. Green means vulnerable to corrosive, Blue vulnerable to shock, Red to fire. If you equip appropriately to that you'll kill everything quickly.
    My favourite loadout is generally a Chuliann, incendiary plasma caster, corrosive plasma caster and any old legendary (or better) weapon that I like using. Start with the Chuliann to alternate between shock and slag for long enough to slag the guy and kill the shields, then switch to the most appropriate plasma caster to kill it in a few seconds or, if you're bored of doing that every time, use the legendary for fun. The part I struggle with is consistently finding good shields though so I tend to make epics and legendaries I find last a little longer than they should.

The exception to this was Krieg. I used nothing but a Law handgun and Order shield, both level 61, right up to level 72 (when I changed to someone else instead). The health regen you got from meleeing people with that combo made it worthwhile enough to begin with, but add to that the +100% from the Law's melee attachment, the Order's melee buff from having depleted shields, Kreig's many skills that required depleted shields to work and his melee buff skills - one of which I had a class mod boost from so he did +600% melee damage on top of all the rest (and a 12% chance he'd attack himself, which was really annoying but worth suffering) - made him super OP and extremely fun to play. Right up until a certain point in the last DLC that I couldn't get past.