Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

If This, then That - Recommend Me

I was thinking about games I have played and enjoyed, and about how I would love to find other games like those gems. And while I know we have the 'What are you Playing' thread - and it is helpful - I thought it might be nice to have a thread for recommending games to folks, based specifically on others they have enjoyed, and their reasons for enjoying them.

As an example - recommend me a game like Dark Souls (the first one) based on the things I liked about it, such as:

-A variety of play styles, builds and weapon and armor combos
    -The world building. The way the layers of the world intertwine and weave over and under one another really appeals to me.
    -The combat. Hard hitting, varied, and open to numerous styles.

Another example could be games like Legends of Grimlock. I would have loved it, if it featured turn based combat.

So if I played and enjoyed this, what is it someone might recommend next? Likewise, if you have a game you loved - or a specific mechanic or idea found in one - lets see if we can't help you find something similar to your past love.

if you like the combat in dark souls, and don't mind a loooong game monster hunter is pretty amazing.

I would say Kingdom of Amalur is quite fun too

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfrederique View Post
    if you like the combat in dark souls, and don't mind a loooong game monster hunter is pretty amazing.

I would say Kingdom of Amalur is quite fun too
    You just reminded me I do have Amalur. And you know, it is actually quite fun. Its like the Dark Souls I can pick up and put down when I just want to have fun. And the combat is extremely varied.

Unfortunately, I do not have a console for the Monster Hunter games. Though this might be the year I expand into a PS4. Seriously considering it.

Thanks for the info!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    You can emulate PSP monster hunters, you can play the PS3 HD remake of 3rd in full english 1080p 60f with MSAAx4 and xBRZ textures, plus all DLCs and online. It's glorious.
    Last edited by pakoito; 12-06-2014 at 02:52 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Something akin to the original Majesty would be great. (Alas, Majesty 2 just don't cut it =T).
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    You can emulate PSP monster hunters, you can play the PS3 HD remake of 3rd in full english 1080p 60f with MSAAx4 and xBRZ textures, plus all DLCs and online. It's glorious.
    What Monster Hunter on PS3? WHERE CAN I GET THIS NOW

I would also advise on grabbing a pep and play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, it would cost you almost nothing and it's a great game. The most recent ones on 3DS are good too, but I preferred the gameplay/difficulty of MHFU

If Dark Souls, then Dark Messiah (for combat) or Hellraid (wip)

What about 2d stuff? I know about Dark Maus and La Mulana but idk if they can even compare.
    Last edited by Wenz; 12-06-2014 at 08:09 AM.
    post in progress

Lesser Hivemind Node
    If Dark Souls Then Severance (?)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Yes! Severance :Blade of Darkness!!!

Bolstering incredibly intense melee combat,great atmosphere,four different characters to play with,and each starts from their own kingdom (Conan alike dude,knight,amazon chick and dwarf!). Graphics are not bad for 2001 either,i mean if you force aa and other stuff its pretty decent and clean.

Almost forgot,there is also gore system. Wounds you inflict on enemies are visible all the time,and you can also cut off limbs,heads,even torso!

Example.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ah! Dark Messiah! I actually have that one, too - and fully installed, no less. How do I keep forgetting these games? I bounced off it hard the first time I played - due to the difficulty. Now I've come round to liking a good challenge - and had Dishonored to warm me to first person melee combat - I may well give it another go. For all its imperfections, the combat is quite good.

And Severeance: Blade of Darkness, is...glorious. Seriously, where did this sort of thing go? This is what melee combat in modern games should look like. We had it in 2001...and now its gone?

I am going to look into this game, as well as Monster Hunter/emulation.

So how about on the World Building side of things? Any other games with worlds as intricate as Dark Souls? I know its not likely - I have looked as well as I know how - but I thought I might ask.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    So it's only on the consoles (PS3 and Xbox 360) but I keep hearing comparisons between Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma.

(starts to show what I love about the game around 1:50)

I'm assuming that emulating Monster Hunter isn't "legit" - I want to try those games but I have neither a handheld or Nintendo.
    Last edited by frightlever; 12-06-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Ah! Dark Messiah! I actually have that one, too - and fully installed, no less. How do I keep forgetting these games? I bounced off it hard the first time I played - due to the difficulty. Now I've come round to liking a good challenge - and had Dishonored to warm me to first person melee combat - I may well give it another go. For all its imperfections, the combat is quite good.

And Severeance: Blade of Darkness, is...glorious. Seriously, where did this sort of thing go? This is what melee combat in modern games should look like. We had it in 2001...and now its gone?
    I'm not crazy about 1st person melee or platforming because those are things 1st person is weak at due to peripheral and perception issues. Still, I can't think of anything else.

Overgrowth has decent beu combat but it's still basic since it's been in alpha for years (they claimed they are working on a playable single player campaign atm).

There's a playable demo of Lugaru if you want to test the "prototype" even though they are different in minor departments.

yt channel here
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGF...y90--3PfAqtSaA
    Last edited by Wenz; 12-06-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    post in progress

Lesser Hivemind Node
    If Dark Souls, then Dark Messiah (for combat) or Hellraid (wip)
    And Lords of Fallen, also wip.
    Maybe Bound By Flame, it looks darksoulish a little.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I haven't played it, but if you liked Dark Souls, the obvious next step would be Kings Field.

Grimrock is part of the once great genre called blobbers, most of which are turn-based. This thread might point you further in the right direction. Or you could just play Wizardry and Bard's Tale (the original).
    Last edited by Internet; 12-06-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Severence is much closer to Dark Souls than King's Field. King's Field is gonna require anyone that plays it to grit themselves; the combat is very one-note (run forward, slash, back up, wait for stamina to recharge, repeat) and the turn speed is hilariously slow. I got lost quite a bit because the wall textures are repeated endlessly and there's no auto-map. I would, however, recommend Shadow Tower: Abyss to just about anyone. There was never any English release, but there is a translation patch floating around. It's far more "weird" than Dark Souls if that's your thing, and it follows the King's Field formula well while still allowing for some strategy in combat. There's even a gun and proper analogue controls! The turn speed is still abysmal, though.

I would definitely second Dragon's Dogma but also throw out Drakengard here, one of my favourite games. The combat isn't really like Dark Souls but it has a very similar atmosphere.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Much as I adored Dragon's Dogma (best game of that year, for me) it really isn't that much like Dark Souls, other than being medieval fantasy with the occasional big enemy. The combat is far faster and much more forgiving, unless you purposefully wander into areas you're not levelled for or seek out the ludicrously tough optional bosses (or play the expansion, apparently, though sadly I never got to that). Yes, you've got a stamina bar but it's much easier to instantly replenish it if you run dry and you've almost always got three allies backing you up.

(Oh, and obligatory Severance-was-and-always-will-be-shit. Die By The Sword, too. You people are all insane. Insane, I say.)
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    (Oh, and obligatory Severance-was-and-always-will-be-shit. )
    If anyone else said that, it might even warrant an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    -The world building. The way the layers of the world intertwine and weave over and under one another really appeals to me.
    Have you played the Metroid/vania games that Souls' worldbuilding emulates the most? Specifically Super Metroid, Symphony of the Night, and Metroid Prime. The Ys games are similar as well, but be warned that they're brutally difficult. Someone's probably going to recommend Cave Story now, but I found it to be overly linear and poorly designed to boot. It is, however, probably better than the hundred other indie-developed wannabes that are floating around these days, although I thought Valdis Story was pretty good.

I would definitely recommend Ys:Origins. Wonderful game.

Btw, what about darkmaus?
    post in progress