Page 153 of 202 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 4040
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    man, that's some seriously lousy r-squared.
    r = (0^0)*-1

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Your supposed to connect them to make a pretty picture![/COLOR]
    I don't know about you, but I see clear scientific conclusions! Clearly, female-heavy majors are for people with poor organizational skills. They can't even band together to allow for scientifically verifiable stereotyping.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Information make all of us dumb

May amnesia pardon all of us.

Womens are, in many ways, interesting. I celebrate every success towards womens equality, but mostly for greedy reasons.

I think is better for all of us.

What we should fight, is what divide us. I think communism got some things right, and one of them was internationalism. The idea that more than nations, people and common interest in people, is something that is worth fighting for. So the things that pit some of us against others, that divide us, are things that weakened us.
    They may exist some walls between womens and men in technology, and if we are clever, smart, reasonable, cool, we will make these walls fall.

I am soo sorry when in this thread or in other threads it looks like I am fight that. It could be my own stupidity, or it could be my own search for The Truth, .... something that I hope I share with others here. In any case, sorry, very very Sorry.
    Last edited by Tei; 27-06-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You're doing alright, Tei. Keep searching, and above all, keep listening. If you have a ways to go, well, we all do. No-one said it was going to be easy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    At the risk of a shit storm I thought I'd link to the latest video (via Eurogamer for a change):
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...vs-women-video

In a purely informative the new one is out, if you had missed it for whatever reason and were interested in seeing it.

My personal interest in her videos declined, since she continues making the same point over and over. The same way I stopped reading the Ben Goldacre book Bad Pharma, where the same point was repeated over and over in slightly varied tone. Half the book would have been twice as good. In the same rate Anitas videos would IMO benefit from cutting them by about 30 to 50%.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In the same rate Anitas videos would IMO benefit from cutting them by about 30 to 50%.
    Yup. I rarely watch YT videos that are longer than 5 minutes. Anita's videos are meant to make some change for better in video game industry (both devs and players), right? There's no way that people who could benefit from them will watch ~30 minutes long videos.

It would be much better for her to make ten 2-3 minutes long videos and release them twice each week for example. Short, sharp material that goes straight to the point, like Extra Credits videos.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Makariel View Post
    In the same rate Anitas videos would IMO benefit from cutting them by about 30 to 50%.
    I wouldn't mind the episodes being 5 minutes shorter myself, but the sheer number of examples Sarkeesian uses goes to demonstrating that these are pervasive patterns within the industry rather than -- as people would otherwise object -- just a few bad apples being taken out of context and used to demonise the industry as a whole. Of course, people say that anyway. =/

On-topic: I recall being told, in an introductory Film Studies class, that everything in a film was open to examination, that film stock was too rare/expensive and the production processes too involved for stuff to be there just by accident. How much more true this is of video games, where every. single. thing. has been hand-crafted basically from scratch to be presented to the player. Think of how many man-hours have gone into creating all those decorative violence-against-women moments that Sarkeesian wades through in her videos. In that context, the idea that we shouldn't interrogate the pervasive use of such depictions is really bizarre.
    Last edited by Lethe; 27-08-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I think the video length is fine as the content sort of demands all the examples, to illustrate the point.

They could perhaps be done as 4x15 minute episodes instead of 2x30 minute episodes. though I think i'm mostly suggesting that as the debate around the video sort of goes hot/cold for months on end rather than sticking to a nice even clip.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    On-topic: I recall being told, in an introductory Film Studies class, that everything in a film was open to examination, that film stock was too rare/expensive and the production processes too involved for stuff to be there just by accident. How much more true this is of video games, where every. single. thing. has been hand-crafted basically from scratch to be presented to the player.
    I can't comment on the video but on how videogames and software work.
    There has to be a lot of reuse in videogames. Things like engines could be 10 or 15 years old, with many changes. Some stuff like models or animations could come from libraries. The AI of some mob could be coming from a similar game of the same company.
    Developers are going to cut corners where It don't matter at every opportunity. If they have a set of icons, and the set of icons seems to fit the existing theme of the game, they may reuse it, without previously checking that the "women.png" icon is a lady with a baby in his hands.

Ubisoft is famous for this, a game like Watch Dogs has ben made by many people from different parts of the world, that maybe have never seem each another. This cut corners with the production time: while some people is working on the cutscenes, other people may be working on the mission scripts, and yet other people working on the driving, and yet more people trying to fix a subsystem to allow remote controlling copters (or other feature that is finally removed from the game because it fails to work correctly).

What I am tryiing to say, is that maybe the devs themselves control less of the message that your post make it look, they may take decisions with side effects that felt random.

Sometimes artist clone. Even original artist, sometimes they take something from the real world, and add to it. They take from the real world, with the baggage the real world already sustain.
    Some artist doing a Mass Effect game NPC vendor may be creating a lady npc vendor that is exactly like Susan, from the pub on the same street the developing studio. Their representation of Susan is not misogynist or follow anyone agenda, they are lifting her from the real world, the real thing. Many other things could be lifted from the real world, as a cheap way to fabric the game universe quickly.
    Last edited by Tei; 27-08-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Regarding length, there comes a point where you do just need time to explore your point and go into detail that having a reduced run-time would actually end up being detrimental to your want. I'm not sure if 15 minutes would be quite enough and by the 20 minute mark well...how much more is it to 30, really? I think part of it comes down to investment of time too. If you're not sure you want to spend time on something, deciding to spend 30 minutes on it might seem like a waste. Perhaps once the project is done, it wouldn't harm for a few minutes of summation to cover all the topics broadly so that people could get a rough idea before proceeding deeper. There's also the argument to be made for the lack of attention span, but that one really does just vary from person to person.

As for reusing assets, it's certainly fair that as game worlds become more expansive and complex some things will be reused. That's fine, I don't think you could argue against that other than for wanting everything to be unique, which itself is a very questionable stance to adopt. The problem comes from the application of that re-use. Something that works in one context may not work in another and can be jarring or stupid. At best this simply breaks suspension of disbelief, but at worst you can end up perpetuating something questionable. I don't even think it'd be fair to appeal to ignorance at that point because even if you have the assets that you intend on re-using, you still need to make a conscious decision as to how they're to be applied.

Whilst I'm here, I'll say that, once more, this video is good and informative. It also seems to be gaining quite a bit of attention from more Important People including those 'outside' of gaming. I do wonder why now especially, but that's no bad thing. Attention should hopefully bring thinking, which is exactly what's needed.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I liked it, though she skirts a little too close to telling people what they ought to be doing in this one for my liking. I don't know. I am aware she has that disclaimer - I have no problem with the idea of liking stuff while pointing out its problems - but I felt there was a little too much emphasis on the idea every writer has some kind of duty to solve the world's problems, and anything that might be adding to them ought to be scrubbed, no matter how well-intentioned it was in the first place. But sure, no argument with her basic points - it's lazy shorthand to portray a world as "evil" with violence, murder and cartoon amorality around every street corner, and when people do that, all too often they use women getting raped, threatened with rape, or available for sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    On-topic: I recall being told, in an introductory Film Studies class, that everything in a film was open to examination, that film stock was too rare/expensive and the production processes too involved for stuff to be there just by accident. How much more true this is of video games, where every. single. thing. has been hand-crafted basically from scratch to be presented to the player. Think of how many man-hours have gone into creating all those decorative violence-against-women moments that Sarkeesian wades through in her videos. In that context, the idea that we shouldn't interrogate the pervasive use of such depictions is really bizarre.
    A friend of mine had a similar experience - "What's the first thing you see when you watch (I think it was Being John Malkovich)?" (Class offers up various answers.) "Nope. All wrong." "What is it, then?" "The credits." I take Tei's point (wasn't sure I'd ever be writing those words!) but even when a developer reuses something, there's a thought process that goes into what to reuse - or alternatively the problem is just as much about what developers reach for in these situations without consciously thinking about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    So the first episode is out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q

As it was so terribly controversial in the video gaming community I feel it warrants discussion. Generally though I agree with the entire thing, so I guess the talking point is what are your thoughts?

I don't see the point the video is trying to make.

Scheherazade's "One Thousand and One Nights" or the greek mythos, and maybe older things, all parroting this story of a damnsell in mistress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Charming
    Prince Charming is a stock character who appears in a number of fairy tales. He is the prince who comes to the rescue of the damsel in distress, and stereotypically, must engage in a quest to liberate her from an evil spell. This classification suits most heroes of a number of traditional folk tales, including Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, even if in the original story they were given another name, or no name at all.
    Prince Charming is a womens fantasy. Some young rich/cool guy that rescue them from poverty/boredoom.

The only error you can fault on videogames is not having this message:

Womens anywhere, go save some male, we exist, find us :D
    Don't be lazy. Don't expect us to do everything.

Elizabeth Ford Daniela Drake wrote:
    http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/18/lov...-security.html
    Since we think of ourselves as smart girls, here’s the bottom line: Find your fortune while you’re young and marry a man with money.

This is what we call the Gold-Digging Imperative–”The GDI.”

We don’t think “gold-digging” should be frowned upon. Why, we wonder, does society applaud a girl who falls for a guy’s big blue eyes yet denounces one who chooses a man with a big green bankroll?

What’s the difference? Earning power is, after all, a reflection of his values and character. Big blue eyes? Not so much.

Whats wrong with you, Elizabeth?
    Last edited by Tei; 27-08-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Whilst it's been some time since I watched that first video, the point is that Damsels in Distress are predominantly used as a go-to (lazy) narrative kick-starter for a game to give you motivation to play through the game to obtain a conclusion. Other than the fact that it's mostly applied in a boring manner and offering marginal creativity, it places females in the position of being objects as opposed to people that males fight over as if they're some sort of possession and I say males because I for one can't think of an example where the captor is female. The damsel will also have very similar characteristics that show them as being helpless or weak and fragile. No one example by itself shows this, but when it's used so pervasively, the idea does build up on the mind and will inevitably carry over to how you perceive things if you're not really aware that it's happening. In later DiD videos, Anita goes on to demonstrate just how pervasive this is in highlighting that even inanimate objects are being given gender labels so that the same narrative mechanic can be employed.

That this is a hold-over from older narratives isn't really a good reason, more an excuse. If your game is mechanic heavy...why not just push the mechanics rather than forcing a pointless narrative in there? Take Super Hexagon, for instance. The game is all mechanic with no filler. Even the sounds and graphics that are great to listen to and see actually contribute in meaningful ways. It's quite easy to picture that game having the narrative of DiD by having the pointer be the main (male) character and the 60 second mark the damsel to rescue. It sounds stupid and it would be, but I can entirely visualise it. If you are going to include a narrative, it should be considered and well thought out, rather than a sloppy repeat of what has come before, but dressed up slightly differently.