Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142
Results 2,821 to 2,823 of 2823
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Moviebob movie is pretty good, it's nice to be reminded that true liberation includes, among other freedoms, the freedom to return and make your former prison into a cozy living space if you like. =)

His good vs. evil tropes discussion, though -- it seemed like the sort of things he categorized as "classically feminine characteristics" are actually just "classically opulent characteristics" -- pitting lives of hardship and sacrifice against lives of lazy ease, rather than pitting the manly against the ladylike. (But maybe he just means a different sort of classically!)
    I did see an amusing review of Catching fire which basically outlined that Katniss etc all represented fine upstanding people while the rulers essentially represented San Francisco, which I thought was pretty hilarious but not without some degree of merit.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I did see an amusing review of Catching fire which basically outlined that Katniss etc all represented fine upstanding people while the rulers essentially represented San Francisco, which I thought was pretty hilarious but not without some degree of merit.
    I'm pretty sure that was also Movie Bob. Because he's my movie critic of choice and that sounds damn familiar.

I don't agree with him all the time, but he's very good at what he does in so far as that assessment is not purely one of taste, and insofar as it is, he has a similar taste in terms of analysis even when we come to different conclusions about whether the thing being pointed out is good or bad and how it balances out overall. It's great becasue I don't watch many movies and it's really nice to have found someone who's entertaining and who thinks about things just similarly enough that I can use them to collect sufficient data from which to make my own analysis without reading a whole essay. :)

I still haven't found such a thing for video games, but RPS comes relatively close often enough.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    That was always obvious to me. As long as the person in question had the alternatives presented and as long as that stereotypical expression is not touted as "true", it is all cool. Plenty of modern women have no problem with falling into a stay-at-home housewife role and there is nothing wrong about it as long as she is not pressured by the society into it or is not stigmatized if she ever tries to leave it.
    The problem of course being that stigma hasn't gone anywhere and that we have to somehow balance teaching the next generation that the stigma is bad with allowing artists creative freedom, recognizing that not everyone agrees, and recognizing that presenting something bad isn't, as an act, always bad.

That balance is incredibly tricky. It gets even trickier because it's not just about the "victims." There's this idea that the privileged class shouldn't ever take exception to things purely on account of the under-privileged class. What gets forgotten is that privilege is never a simple binary and that one need not be offended in a paternalistic way to take exception to the depictions of other groups.

For example, a portrayal that seems racist toward minorities might make a white person very uncomfortable out of simple empathy AND because it creates a feeling of mixed messages--they've been told they're supposed to find this uncomfortable because it's harmful to other people and now they're being confronted with it and asked to accept it as comfortable. That's a confusing and difficult position for someone to be put in. There isn't really a "correct" response here.

You can also think about it kinda like alcoholism. For someone who is struggling to understand exactly where the line is regardless of their exact relationship with the group being "targeted" (including being in that group, of course), being constantly confronted with depictions that hit too close to home and line up in just the wrong way with anti-social memes and modes can be like taking an alcoholic out drinking--it can be hard for them to just flip a switch and accept sexist jokes in a social environment when they're wired to react differently (specifically in a bad way) to the presence of sexism--be their reaction positive or negative.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0